Make Yourself USB DAC using BurrBrown PCM2902

kaushik

Hi all ,

Here is a DIY schematic and PCB layout .The circuit is simple and uses Burr-Brown PCM2902 .

Uses:
It is suitable for PC/laptop to AVR connection
or PC/laptop to Integrated amp using analog out.

All components are available at RS COMPONENTS INDIA : Welcome to RS On-line

DAC chip is about 650Rs .I suggest one should use better capacitors /resistors for smooth frequency response .... :D

Features:

INPUT ---> USB
OUTPUT -----> SPDIF
and Analog Out

usbdacsch.png

usbdacbrd2.png

collected from : Pavouk's homepage

Link :Click

Hi Kaushik,

This is useful information. I liked your posts, which are always useful and cost effective. Keep it up.

Hi all ,

Here is a DIY schematic and PCB layout .The circuit is simple and uses Burr-Brown PCM2902 .

Uses:

DAC chip is about 650Rs .I suggest one should use better capacitors /resistors for smooth frequency response .... :D

Features:

INPUT ---> USB
OUTPUT -----> SPDIF
and Analog Out

usbdacsch.png

usbdacbrd2.png

Yes PCB is cheap....however rs electronics prices are little high [approx30%]
For PCB there is OmElectronics in bangalore ...such small PCBs wil cost 5 to 10 Rs with green masking.

Else see my PCB making thread..u can make it at home......just a few supplies u need .

Hi all ,

Uses:

Features:

INPUT ---> USB
OUTPUT -----> SPDIF
and Analog Out

usbdacsch.png

usbdacbrd2.png

Thanks,

I have few Qs-

1.Does this require special driver to get recognized by Windows?
2.Where is Burr-Brown PCM2902 chip available?Mumbai?
3.Can we actualy develope ext DAC without USB?
ie.instead of usb we can set 5v adaptor connection & coax input in place of
USB data points?
4.Does it give stereo output?

check this also-http://www.pavouk.org/hw/spdifdac/en_index.html#circuit_description

Last edited:
Hello Mr.Kaushik ,

Very informative and i am in the process of making one for my computer ( not now , but some times later )

Thankyou
Vijay

Thank you cranky,

better DAC threads are welcome and your extertise will help the new DIY audiophiles .
actually i must admit here that the circuit is not yet being built by me [in the process of sourcing the components at a lesser price]

Due to component sourcing problems in india i wanted to post a DAC that was simple and uses less components .
As cranky said for top performance there are several mods may be needed .. external Power Supply,Ground Layout changes etc to name a few .
NOTE:pCB layout is not upto scale use these for actual size
PS file :http://www.pavouk.org/hw/usbdac/usbdacbrd.ps
or Eagle file :http://www.pavouk.org/hw/usbdac/usbdac2.brd

Let me check a solution for the 0.5mm track width issue ,as per my sources local PCBs minimum width is 1 mm....how about an IC socket....
update :my diy brain has come up with an idea,i will use an extension board as shown in the pic ....the board will make possible for a greater track spacing.
2hhhg0i.jpg

Vijay,
Forum is waiting for your DAC buit thread...
I am very glad that people are coming forward to build one of these .

Last edited:
Thank you cranky,

better DAC threads are welcome and your extertise will help the new DIY audiophiles .
actually i must admit here that the circuit is not yet being built by me [in the process of sourcing the components at a lesser price]

Due to component sourcing problems in india i wanted to post a DAC that was simple and uses less components .
As cranky said for top performance there are several mods may be needed .. external Power Supply,Ground Layout changes etc to name a few .

Let me check a solution for the 0.5mm track width issue ,as per my sources local PCBs minimum width is 1 mm....how about an IC socket....
update :my diy brain has come up with an idea,i will use an extension board as shown in the pic ....the board will make possible for a greater track spacing.

Vijay,
Forum is waiting for your DAC buit thread...
I am very glad that people are coming forward to build one of these .

I can tell you two ways to fit DAC-

1.RS online r providing IC/DAC sockets soldered on PCB which can be fitted
on PCB.
2.You can solder DAC on regular PCB & try to destroy PCB tracks inbetween
them with tools.

spirovious,
great info ...point 1 is attractive ...but pcb needs to be redesigned.

For Iron- on - Pcb makers:
point 2 is tricky....i have done that long back...with sharp paper blades .procedure will be as follows

>keep the ic pins joined as solid copper.
> once etching is done ,cut the pins using blades.

[Now a days i order PCBs,before I have made 89c51 development boards using iron on pcb..with RTC,LCD,7 segments ...this process was tedious..but has lott of possibilities]

spirovious,
great info ...point 1 is attractive ...but pcb needs to be redesigned.

For Iron- on - Pcb makers:
point 2 is tricky....i have done that long back...with sharp paper blades .procedure will be as follows

>keep the ic pins joined as solid copper.
> once etching is done ,cut the pins using blades.

[Now a days i order PCBs,before I have made 89c51 development boards using iron on pcb..with RTC,LCD,7 segments ...this process was tedious..but has lott of possibilities]

For pt1 once you get DAC socket,you can fit it on main board with the help of
nut,boalts & flat cables.

i am interested in the project but i got a problem, my input is toslink output, how to conect this link to the usb DAC.
please advice

Update:i have got Ic adapters ...this thread is a old one .

joker6211,
spdif not possible here
go for gamma1 /2 dac .. or gigaworks dac in ebay(ready made need to fit a cover) or zero dac

kaushik

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back