Making baby steps into Hi-fi

Dude you already have nakamichi plugs. Their quality is very decent (if you ignore the fact about they being fake). Wrapping them up with a colored heat shrink tube would get us the product equivalent to what Chord sells.

And that link was great. Would be helpful while I wet my feet in the DIY mess.

Last edited:
Dude you already have nakamichi plugs. ...

No, I dont have the Nakamichi-wallah ones. This is the set I had till a day back. A friend of mine bought them from me this weekend. I was going to use them with my Audioengine A2s (I keep moving them about nowadays), but I changed my mind. :)

Rug
I bought myself a 7ft x 4ft cotton rug 2 days back.

I can't really comment on how much better it made the music sound, but my feet love it! The listening area feels more warm and cozy too.

Room placement
I had been doing a bit of reading on room placement and experimenting in my room over the last 3 days. (I'm afraid that I'm what I call a "Compulsive Tweaker"). Yesterday, I managed to find what I think is the best compromise of all factors.

I could not implement the standard "Rule of thirds" simply because of the way the room is. I had to draw some compromise between audiophilia and practicality. I simply couldn't push the speakers forward from the wall behind them beyond 24". I also could put only a 14" gap between the speakers and the side walls. I had to use this as a constant and work the rest of the placement around this.

The biggest (apparent) advantage I had with the room was that the room was not a perfect rectangle. The wall I face as I listen to the speakers is narrower by about 1.8ft than the rear wall. So the room tapers into the wall I face. The room is in the shape of the Cardas "Golden Trapagon". My room is very much like the last illustration on the page -- the second Golden Trapagon, though the dimensions differ: about 9ft and 10.9ft wide at the short sides, and about 18.3ft long between the mid-points of the two short sides.

Before yesterday's overhaul, I'd kept the speakers 70" apart, with the rest of the speaker placement as mentioned above. I was sitting at a distance of 91" from the midpoint between the speakers. This position put me about 115" from the front wall of the room, and about 105" from the rear wall of the room. The speakers were toed-in so they were facing me perfectly. This was the best-sounding setup till yesterday. The problem with this setup was that the bass response was a bit weak and there was a bit too much detail for my comfort.

A couple of days back I read about the 38% rule as described in the Real Traps website.

Yesterday I tried this out. Though I didn't follow the percentage or the toe-in illlustrated there perfectly, I was able to arrive at a real sweet listening position.

I started by moving my listening position to about 83" from the front wall (wall behind the speakers), which is 38% of the room length. I left the speakers exactly as they are, including the toe-in. This made the speakers face a little away from me (not 100% toed-in) as I was closer to them than I was before. At this position I found the bass to be excessive, and I felt I was sitting a little too close to the speakers for comfort.

I pulled back my position till I felt the bass sounded balanced with the rest of the music. I hit the perfect sweet spot at a distance of 90" from the front wall. This would make it a bit under 41% of the length of the room (as against the 38% ideal). At this distance more than just the bass sounding right (and the detail getting toned down) everything sounded just right. The music as a whole sounded very cohesive and it was exactly as I wanted it to be. I still felt I was sitting a bit close to the speakers, but after a pretty long (for about 6 hours after setting this up :eek: ) and very enjoyable session, I felt very comfortable. I went to sleep at about 4.00AM a very happy and contented man :)

This is how things look like now:

I could not try the position 38% from the rear of the wall as there is a bathroom jutting out half-way into the room at the rear end, leading to bit of confusion about what constitutes the rear wall of my room (for room-placement purposes). The bathroom also causes the 38%-from-rear position to be a very inconvenient placement of the couch as far as moving around the room is concerned.

I've been listening to Patricia Barber's "Cafe Blue", "Nightclub" and "Modern Cool" constantly over the last 2 weeks, and I used these albums (esp. "Nightclub") to get the setup right, and to affirm the choice of room setup.

Sorry for a really long post. I just realized how long it is.

Last edited:
I'm using only the STX. The Caiman is taking a rest for now.

I was using the Caiman with the WDTV for movies till 3 days back. I've lent the WDTV to my Dad for some time, so he can watch movies in formats other than the (limited) ones his Amkette FlashTV supports.

Thanks, Kevian!

That door leads to my bedroom. The listening room is my man-cave, so to speak :D

nice! well done
only sometimes do i see a setup where the sides of the speaker can see each other.
Personally i find that very important - but i do understand the constraints here in Inida where housing and space is at a premium

Okay you got a family? how did you convince them to place the speaker+stand in the way?

Last edited:
Hahaha :) I stay alone.

I stay on the 1st floor of a building right next to my Parent's house. My Dad uses the ground floor as his library/office. My Mom uses my fridge and kitchen as backup/overflow storage, so she does come to the room occasionally. She just looks around at the way things are, rolls her eyes, shakes her head and goes back :D I love my Mom, heh, heh.

Since I stay alone, I can arrange things the way I like. I don't need to worry about others messing with the equipment or knocking it down. I just need to be a bit careful myself. I stick around when the cleaning-lady cleans the room, to make sure she is careful.

@Magma, thanks! I guess I am lucky that I can manage reasonably well with my room.

Hahaha :) I stay alone.

I stay on the 1st floor of a building right next to my Parent's house. My Dad uses the ground floor as his library/office. My Mom uses my fridge and kitchen as backup/overflow storage, so she does come to the room occasionally. She just looks around at the way things are, rolls her eyes, shakes her head and goes back :D I love my Mom, heh, heh.

Since I stay alone, I can arrange things the way I like. I don't need to worry about others messing with the equipment or knocking it down. I just need to be a bit careful myself. I stick around when the cleaning-lady cleans the room, to make sure she is careful.

Enjoy as much as you can....all that freedom is yours until you get married.:D

cheers!!

Enjoy as much as you can....all that freedom is yours until you get married.:D

cheers!!

Instead of listening to music, you will be facing the music :)

Better to take Neil Young's advise :

I think that maybe I'll get a maid
Find a place nearby for her to stay
Just someone to keep my house clean
Fix my meals, And go away!

:D

Better to take Neil Young's advise :

I think that maybe I'll get a maid
Find a place nearby for her to stay
Just someone to keep my house clean
Fix my meals, And go away!

:eek:hyeah: This sounds like very sound advise indeed. I don't want to elaborate, but due to certain life circumstances (supported by choice), I will most likely be following his advice for a long time to come.

No way. My kid wakes me up at 4PM in the night and asks me for "gaana...". Once he is through with the complete Eagles - Hotel California Live at MTV Awards, he'd resume his sleep.

And I am not kidding he did that to me few days back.

Now ain't that fun :p

(BTW he just turned 2).

AM? .... and your kid?(you should use youtube );).....be ready for his rocky teens....remember the starting of that song "Black or White"?:p

Children learn from their parents and the environment in which they are growing up. My 5 year old daughter hums several Phil Ochs' songs. Her favorite and mine too.

'A ghost without a name, stands ragged in the rain
And it seems that there are no more songs'

Seems strange to hear such grown up words from the mouth of a child.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back