Marantz 5400

demigod

I'm getting an offer - Marantz 5400 for 11K. It seems to be a demo piece. Should i take it? This seems to be a discontinued model.
I'm looking for a CDP to my current setup, Norge 1000 with Wharf 9.2
Or it's better to go for a DAC? I'm sure much discussed already about a CDP against DAC, but i need your help more in assessing 5400.

for 10-11k
i would get the CDP provided you play cds when you listen to music and not files off a media payer or a Pc

If your budget is below 20K , then buy the CDP rather then going for a DAC. I tried a CA Dac magic with the CA 540 CD player , I heard no difference.

Thanks Dali and Magma.

I have decided to go with CDP. I have transferred the money and waiting for the shipment. :yahoo:

Congrats demigod!
Do you have a large CD collection?
Also can you tell me why you have opted for 5400 over cd5001?

Congrats demigod!
Do you have a large CD collection?
Also can you tell me why you have opted for 5400 over cd5001?

Yes i have, but mostly they all film songs and that's what i listen to.
Only 5400 was available within my budget below 15k and also the review of 5400 i found it good though it's a discontinued model.

I'm buying this one without auditioning it but there is no option to audition marantz in Pune. All i hear is nothing available for demo and they can place an order if i can finalize a model to purchase.

Just wanted to update every one!

The package arrived on Saturday. I took this player from Dev (Bass Treble Coimbatore). It was shipped through Gati and their assured delivery date was on 18th but they managed to deliver on 20th after several follow-up calls. The package was intact and no major issues with handling during shipment.

Opened the box connected to my Norge + Wharf setup.

Initial impression was, the clarity/detail was much better as expected, but the Bass was surprisingly very low and i had to keep the bass knob at max in the amp to get the decent punch (despite the fact Wharf 9.2 is known for it's extra bass). Bit disappointed and for comparison purpose, i was switching the interconnected back and forth b/w CDP and DVDP. Called up Dev and told him about the same.

Same day evening, i tried again with few more CD's and to my surprise the bass was improved drastically and i don't what was missing earlier. May be the cables were not connected properly (But i'm sure i connected them properly) but i have no clue.

but now i find a big difference and i'm really in love with the CDP. Amazing output and i'm really enjoying the music with much more quality. All i'm doing now is moving many of my collections in the form of CD's

People from Pune, you are invited to my place in case if you are interested in checking my setup for your valuable comments!

Demigod congrats on your cdp. Your decision might influence mine as well because my next immediate purchase is goin to be source. Im contemplating DV99. I suggest do not come to a quick conclusion like good/bad because both your amp and speakers haven't burn-in fully. I found good improvement in SQ after 9.2, amp burn-in over 100 hrs with even my poor source : a mass market DVDp.

Regarding bass problem, even i have faced difficulties like volume changes, bass missing etc. in my setup. But i think its more due to distrubing the cables and interconnects. If you leave the system intact, you may not have problems. This might be the case for all stereo setups i suppose. Any takes on this?

Thanks Ram. Certainly i shall wait for the Speakers to break-in. But even with the 40/50 hrs of running (both amp and speakers) - i seems to be very much satisfied with the output.

But if the break-in can bring more improvements, why not? :licklips:

Hi Demi,

Congrats on the CDP! A Marantz CDP and the 9.2s will never disappoint you in the bass department.Wishing you many many hours of happy listening.

cheers,sri

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back