Marantz AVR trouble shooting and Repair

X man

I have a Marantz SR6005, which works normally for about 1.5 hours after which it goes silent (with no sound output) though all functions/ display etc continues to work normally. If I start it after some time - again it works normally.

I had given this for repair at Marantz authorised service centre. They mentioned that given this is an old model the PCB are no longer available and nothing much can be done about it.

To me it looks like a heating issue ( it goes silent when the unit heats up), but am not sure how to resolve this. Since authorised service centre has given up, wanted to check if any FM are aware of good repair/ technician in Mumbai whorepairs Marantz AVR and could possibly diagnose and fix the issue.

Thanks

Hi,

I assume you went to MZ audio and this is possibly the solution they have provided. I am not sure if there are really skilled repairers other than them to get your avr repaired / serviced.

Even if you procure the required boards from abroad, you will end up possibly spending more.

SR6005 is indeed a very old model and the current model is the SR6015...Marantz has moved 10 models ahead so getting spares is challenging.

Have you tried cooling the AVR with some external fans etc? That will help possible. If you have already done that then this is a clear sign of failing components and parts which have a shelf life in the electronic world.

Maybe it makes sense then to look out for another AVR, right now new ones may cost a lot, you can possibly be better off looking at pre owned ones available over the forum or olx. Have notices some available in Mumbai itself over OLX.

Like efernand1 says, try laptop cooling fans. If it still fails with heat exhaust issues then try a second hand AVR so that you won't end up spending a lot especially during this time of scarce supply and heavy demand.

I have a Marantz SR6005, which works normally for about 1.5 hours after which it goes silent (with no sound output) though all functions/ display etc continues to work normally. If I start it after some time - again it works normally.

I had given this for repair at Marantz authorised service centre. They mentioned that given this is an old model the PCB are no longer available and nothing much can be done about it.

To me it looks like a heating issue ( it goes silent when the unit heats up), but am not sure how to resolve this. Since authorised service centre has given up, wanted to check if any FM are aware of good repair/ technician in Mumbai whorepairs Marantz AVR and could possibly diagnose and fix the issue.

Thanks
Pls see if the Infinity cooling fans can sort out the heating issue.
There is a technicians referral thread somewhere in this forum.
As far as I remember reading, there is a good technician in Bhandup who repairs Denon and should be able to repair Marantz too.

Pls see if the Infinity cooling fans can sort out the heating issue.
There is a technicians referral thread somewhere in this forum.
As far as I remember reading, there is a good technician in Bhandup who repairs Denon and should be able to repair Marantz too.
Yes, in Bhandup there is this technician - Joseph. Handles Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, HK

Since you are from Mumbai, moisture can cause solder joint issue which may be turning of a processor chip. A good technician can try reflowing chips and try to restore. If chip need to be replaced, then waiting period can be longer.
You can try calling Joseph Audio,Bhandup who repairs AVR.
Yes Spirovious, you are right. That was Mr. Joseph.

Since you are from Mumbai, moisture can cause solder joint issue which may be turning of a processor chip. A good technician can try reflowing chips and try to restore. If chip need to be replaced, then waiting period can be longer.
You can try calling Joseph Audio,Bhandup who repairs AVR.
Thanks for the suggestions....idea of using a cooling fan is interesting and shall try out..also will try reaching out to Mr Joseph...any one has his contact no?

Like efernand1 says, try laptop cooling fans. If it still fails with heat exhaust issues then try a second hand AVR so that you won't end up spending a lot especially during this time of scarce supply and heavy demand.

The latest I heard is that the SR6015 MRP is Rs 229000/- some dealers are selling this model for 175000/- etc.

Definitely an expensive affair and there is only one year warranty. It makes sense to invest in second hand AVR at this point and enjoy it for a while and then accordingly progress ahead with other models or brands as required.

I have a Marantz SR6005, which works normally for about 1.5 hours after which it goes silent
When the sound stops, do you hear any relays clicking, disappearance of any logos from the front panel? Lights stable, not blinking?
If its running HOT, you want to take away some of that heat. If its warm to touch, thats perfectly normal and no fan forced cooling is required. They are designed to operate without a fan. The top and sides of the receiver need to have adequate ventilation.

Does the receiver operate or respond to the remote when the sound goes out? If it does, check if test tones are audible. If they are, you can be sure the amplifier section is still operational.

Try another source (non hdmi) for sound output.

Hi OP,
First, try the Bhandup person who a few FMs have suggested.
Second step, please write to Marantz! Send a mail to their first point of interaction, and then keep at it after they acknowledge and write back you.

We live in a world where the servicing people have been badly hit. They will say what they have to say.

To digress:
1. A colleague, whose activa was acting up, was given a 30K repair quote to fix a bike that cost her 40K four years ago. She walked away and got it working in 5K with the local mechanic.
2. A friend whose phone screen went black went to the service centre, and they deliberately fried his chip (per him, and I believe him when he says he never opened the back or put it in water) and asked for 15K to restore the screen!
3. A third friend, on hearing this story insisted on taking photos of the phone once it was opened, but his service centre refused, and he walked away.

Your unit seems functional.
Write to Marantz.

Regards

When the sound stops, do you hear any relays clicking, disappearance of any logos from the front panel? Lights stable, not blinking?
If its running HOT, you want to take away some of that heat. If its warm to touch, thats perfectly normal and no fan forced cooling is required. They are designed to operate without a fan. The top and sides of the receiver need to have adequate ventilation.

Does the receiver operate or respond to the remote when the sound goes out? If it does, check if test tones are audible. If they are, you can be sure the amplifier section is still operational.

Try another source (non hdmi) for sound output.
The recieved is fully operational even when sound goes out..just like it's been put on mute..infact display continues to show the sign for Dolby 5.1.

Hi all, Thanks for your suggestion..placing order for the fans..takes fairly long to ship it seems...asking for customs details etc.. else may reach out to Joseph

Hi all, Thanks for your suggestion..placing order for the fans..takes fairly long to ship it seems...asking for customs details etc.. else may reach out to Joseph

Try the Fans first, regardless they will come in handy for any AVR you use today or in future.

If that does not resolve, check with Joseph after explaining the issue. He would possibly provide a tentative estimate. Review and then decide if it makes sense or else see pre owned options available in HFV classifieds or olx which would be models ahead of the one you currently have.

All the best and keep us posted.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back