Marantz CD Players skip while playing CDR's?

metalbandit

Hi All,

I am considering Marantz and CA CD Players; I had checked out a Marantz CDP around 5 years back at AV EXPO (don't remember the model no.). While playing original Audio CD's the player was completely flawless, however it skipped during CD-R playback. I encountered this again last week at a friend's place who had a Marantz CDP 6000.

Has anyone else faced this issue with Marantz? Please share your experiences.

Last edited:
Hi All,

I am considering Marantz and CA CD Players; I had checked out a Marantz CDP around 5 years back at AV EXPO (don't remember the model no.). While playing original Audio CD's the player was completely flawless, however it skipped during CD-R playback. I encountered this again last week at a friend's place who had a Marantz CDP 6000.

Has anyone else faced this issue with Marantz? Please share your experiences.

Hi,

Why don't you play the same CD-R with CA or any other player and check the findings. The problem could be with the CD-R also. Just a thought.

I have had a Marantz Cd-63 for years and it has been mostly playing CD-Rs. I have not faced this problem till date

Hi,

Why don't you play the same CD-R with CA or any other player and check the findings. The problem could be with the CD-R also. Just a thought.

Hi Muthu,

I have checked out CA players with CD-R's and they didn't skip. And I have been playing the CD-R's on my Sony Discman for the last 6 years without any problems. So, evidently the problem isn't with the CD-R. Will be doing a more detailed demo with Marantz CD Players since many posts have recommended them for pure Stereo Music.

Last edited:
Hi,

Try these two things:

1. Clean the lens with a CD Lens cleaner disc using a drop of cleaner liquid on the brushes of the cleaning disc. (Usually this liquid comes along with the cleaner disc - You can buy a philips brand which is commonly avaialble)

2. There may be dust collection in the gear wheels of the transport. You have to clean this with the help of a technician who knows how to do it.

If the problem still persists, then you have to change the Laser(Lens) of the CD player.

Cheers,
Ramesh

Hi hifipal4all,

1. Clean the lens with a CD Lens cleaner disc using a drop of cleaner liquid on the brushes of the cleaning disc. (Usually this liquid comes along with the cleaner disc - You can buy a philips brand which is commonly avaialble

I do not believe that a dirty lens is the problem here otherwise the problem would not only appear on that particular CD. Beside of this, I wont do this... :eek: It is mostly worsening the situation... imaging this brushes (coming from one side only...) hitting the lens with a high rotating speed. In my opinion the best way cleaning a lense is using q-tip (or soft tip) and clean synthetical alcohol from a pharmacy... well, you have to open the device which might be unconfortable if it is still under warranty... but imho better than these lens destroying cleaner discs.

Best Regards
nuRoXX

I have seen some CD players that skip or even refuse to detect the disc if anything is placed on top of them (amp, tuner, etc)

ensure that nothing is placed on top of them and they will will fine

I have seen some CD players that skip or even refuse to detect the disc if anything is placed on top of them (amp, tuner, etc)

ensure that nothing is placed on top of them and they will will fine

Hey, thanks for the update. Will keep this in mind with my setup. However, in both instances mentioned in my first post, there was nothing kept on the CDP. I am guessing now, that the problem might be due to different sources from which the CD is recorded. I had tried both - CD's converted from mp3 as well as FLAC. And both of them skipped, so my query still rests. Also if lens is the culprit, then it should have given an error with original disks also, which it didn't. The detailed test I was supposed to do is still pending; once that is done, maybe things will be clear.

try using a better quality cdr. i have a ca 640c and it plays recorded cds

I mostly use HP and Sony CD-R's. Any better ones available for Audio? I once bought a Mitsubishi Gold CD-R, and it still plays flawlessly even after 4 years, , but its no longer available, haven't tried it on Marantz though. Also the Kodak Gold ones are also nowhere to be seen.

i've used kodak and tdk and never have had a problem with them. but yes some cdps dont pick up cdr too well. before you buy the cdp take a few of your cdr and play them. if theres no problem then youre fine.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back