My impressions of the Marantz CD 6006 UK Edition

Nitin K

Hi Friends,

I thought my impressions on this CD player may be useful to people who still have a large CD collection . Please note I am just a regular listener & not an audiophile who will look into the very minute intricacies of sound, though I am particular of good rich sound. Although it doesn't look like but will try to keep this as short as possible. :)
After my Pioneer PDS 802 cd player gave up after 22 years, I have been listening to CD's on a Pioneer DVD player & then the Pioneer Bluray player BDP 180 for some years.
Somehow I missed the warm sound of my old CD player which was a fuss free player where CD's were concerned. My choices for a CD player were Teac, Marantz, Cambridge audio & Pioneer in the midrange price segment. I had also enquired with Mr. Anil of Hifi Mart about the SA 8005(Sacd player) . He was very gracious to give me a good discount yet it was way beyond my budget at approx Rs. 70,000/-
I was contemplating on purchasing the already well reviewed CD 6006. But then the CD 6006 UK SE edition came out after sometime which got superb reviews. On researching between the differences between the standard CD 6006 & the UK edition found out that in the UK edition the improvements were made to the power supply of the digital-to-analogue circuitry and upgrades to the analogue output stage. Apparently some capacitors were also replaced which made the UK edition give out more details than the standard 6006. On the carton & on the rear panel only CD 6006 is mentioned & "UK" is not mentioned anywhere. Lookswise both look same except for the round Union jack logo on the front panel on the UK edition.
Hence I thought this CD player would be the one for me .
In July this year first tried with Amazon UK since this model is available only there & nowhere else but delivery to India was not possible. Then I tried to procure it through UBuy , a site I was not confident with . But later came to know on enquiring with them that their cost was excluding duty & logistics & was working out very expensive. MZ dealers for Marantz also couldn't get this one whereas the standard 6006 was available with them. So I let the issue rest for a while since I had no contact in UK.
Towards the end of October I tried ordering again from the Amazon UK site & surprisingly my order was accepted & got delivered from UK in flat 3 days via DHL. I had to upload my KYC documents to DHL for customs clearance.
The dealer was TVA tech who did a great job in quick delivery & packaging. Credit to Amazon UK too. Voltage of India & UK are same at 230V except the power plug is a flat pin. A multisocket extension board like the Targus (which I am using) or Belkin etc can be used. The plug quality is great so its better not to change it.

First Impressions were very good. A solid good looking player with great build quality & finish which felt heavy. The rest of the audio rig is Marantz SR 7011, Pioneer BDP 180 Bluray player, Dali Oberon 1 front & surrounds With the Oberon Vokal as the center & the SVS PC 2000 subwoofer.
Tried different genres of vocals & music from Rahul Sharma( Mountainscapes), Kishore Kumar, Jubin Nautiyal, Arijit, Nancy Sinatra, Perry Como, Jim Reeves, Rodrigo & Gabriela, 2 cellos etc. They all sounded great .
First Tried the RCA cables to the receiver to use the CD players dac. It sounded more analog, lushful & full bodied sound with a lot of punch. I had to reduce the bass from the subwoofer from -4 to -6. My subwoofer gain setting is slighter less than the 12 o clock position.
Then connected an optical cable from CD player to the receiver to use the receiver's dac. It sounded a little brighter with less bass & sounded slightly digital.
Then played the same tracks on the Pioneer BDP 180 using the BDP's Dac. This also was warm sounding but the details were fuzzy & less clear than the cd 6006.
My conclusion after hearing the cd 6006 UK SE was that I couldn't go back to playing cd's on the Bluray player. I have not heard the standard cd 6006 so cannot state the differences of it vis-vis the UK edition.

Pros of the CD 6006 UK edition
1) Excellent midrange price player with fullbodied sound. Great with Vocals & makes you feel the sound is more analog than digital. Infact it reminded me of my cassette hearing days except the hiss of tapes is not heard.
2) Its a warm punchy player & the bass sounds more rhythmic & cohesive with the tracks.
3) The player has a USB port with playback support of mp3, aac & wav files.
4) Excellent inbuilt dac.
5) Great build quality & finish.
6) So far has been playing CD's with scratches.
7) Forgiving with bad recordings but cannot magically transform a bad track to a good one.
8)Displays the name of the song on the display along with the track no.
9) The CD remote will also work with a Marantz receiver functions since it was meant to be partnered with the PM 6006 UK edition.
10) Has a headphone volume control for headphone lovers though I don't use headphones.

Cons of the CD 6006 UK edition
1) I miss using the display of the folder/file structure on the TV for track selection. With the small display on the CD player, one cannot see the track name being played from the MLP To navigate between folders on the USB you have to go to the CD player & do that.
2) While the tracks on a cd can be selected or programmed to play through the remote. The tracks on a pendrive cannot be selected or programmed to play in a particular order. You have to press skip button to reach a particular track.
3) The player cannot play Flac files or Sacd disks.
4) No open/close button on the remote. You have to use the open/close button on the front panel of the player. Also felt for ergonomics the open/close button should have been on left side of the tray rather than the right.
5) The the forward & back skip buttons double up for forwarding & rewinding the track which is a minor issue
6) A lot of unnecessary buttons on the CD remote which you wont use.

I still have to understand more about the player. For me this purchase was well worth it despite the cons since the sound is enticing . This player has the capability to make you close your eyes & enjoy the music rather than staring at your equipment & listening to music. My taste for sound is more on the warmer side without losing on details which may differ from someone else's taste who prefers a neutral sound.
I am sure there are better players than this one but may be available at more than approximately twice or thrice the cost of this one.

Attachments

• side profile.jpg
    side profile.jpg
    317.9 KB · Views: 134
  • speaker_settings.jpg
    speaker_settings.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 141
  • front_profile.jpg
    front_profile.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 148
  • Marantz_CD_6006_UK_invoice.PNG
    Marantz_CD_6006_UK_invoice.PNG
    31 KB · Views: 150
  • cd_player-packaging.jpg
    cd_player-packaging.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Marantz_UK_logo.jpg
    Marantz_UK_logo.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Marantz_CD_6006_UK_rear.PNG
    Marantz_CD_6006_UK_rear.PNG
    505 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Apologising for the typo error, the Pioneer PDS 802 lasted for around 14 years & not 22 yrs.

Forgot to mention another good aspect of the cd 6006 is that the CD tray opens very fast & quietly.
A negative aspect is that the pendrive has to be formatted in the old Fat 32 format & does not accept NTFS formatted drives which can store a lot more data.

I have attached the Amazon invoice in the previous post & the DHL receipt in this post . As you'll can see the GST is a big portion of the total cost. If there is anyone coming from UK you may save approx 14,000/- on this player including special packaging costs if the person carrying it has nothing much to declare. There are professional reviews on What Hifi & some other sites & user reviews on Amazon.co.uk
Hope this helps someone who is looking out for a warm midrange priced cd player which sounds analog.

Attachments

• DHL_receipt.jpg
    DHL_receipt.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
After almost 7 months of listening to the CDP, just wanted to put forth 2 observations.

1) The player generally has read most of the CD's except for certain tracks on 2 cd's( Out of the 2 CD's one is brand new & unscratched) which the Pioneer BDP 180 reads without any issues. According to FM Joshua(Jls001), this could be possible due to damage on cd not visible to the naked eye which this player refuses to read & other players may read with the errors. This may be quite possible & thanks to him, he has suggested a way to confirm this.

2) Even when the player is powered off, yet the light next to the power button remains on like the Marantz AVR's.

Don't mind overlooking these issues for the sound quality it offers. Only hoping that it lasts long like the previous player.

After almost 7 months of listening to the CDP, just wanted to put forth 2 observations.

1) The player generally has read most of the CD's except for certain tracks on 2 cd's( Out of the 2 CD's one is brand new & unscratched) which the Pioneer BDP 180 reads without any issues. According to FM Joshua(Jls001), this could be possible due to damage on cd not visible to the naked eye which this player refuses to read & other players may read with the errors. This may be quite possible & thanks to him, he has suggested a way to confirm this.

2) Even when the player is powered off, yet the light next to the power button remains on like the Marantz AVR's.

Don't mind overlooking these issues for the sound quality it offers. Only hoping that it lasts long like the previous player.

Yes Nitin!! The issue is not with the cd player rather than media disc. I have the cd6006 global edition. It does not read properly the "thinking out loud" track from multiply album of ed sheeran. The cd is original and does not seem to have any scratch on it. The same track plays without any issue on my bdp 180 and laptop.

The dedicated cd players can not tolerate even a small fault on disc and results skips/halts/pop noise etc. The generic ones just read the data any how and accuracy is the last thing they are concerned about. The dedicated cd players try to read every bit of digital stream from disc and that is one of the reasons that they sound so good!!

Yes Nitin!! The issue is not with the cd player rather than media disc. I have the cd6006 global edition. It does not read properly the "thinking out loud" track from multiply album of ed sheeran. The cd is original and does not seem to have any scratch on it. The same track plays without any issue on my bdp 180 and laptop.

The dedicated cd players can not tolerate even a small fault on disc and results skips/halts/pop noise etc. The generic ones just read the data any how and accuracy is the last thing they are concerned about. The dedicated cd players try to read every bit of digital stream from disc and that is one of the reasons that they sound so good!!

Hi Vivesh,

That was exactly what I was given to understand from Joshua's post. The tracks which skipped or does not play was from a brand new Neil Diamond's " All time greatest hits " cd, when played randomly or while programming the favourite tracks. The funny part is, it plays those particular tracks properly when played sequentially.

Regards,

Nitin

The issue with these CD players are due to laser pickup reading . I used it couple of months back
Not able to play some of my cds and retuned back

Am using a 8 year old Marantz Cd 6002 which does not skip even with minor scratches on the cd. And the cds are approx 20 years old.
So i guess the newer lasers are less reliable.

Am using a 8 year old Marantz Cd 6002 which does not skip even with minor scratches on the cd. And the cds are approx 20 years old.
So i guess the newer lasers are less reliable.

Very true. My earlier cd player Pioneer PD S802 also read CD's with scratches. Earlier cd players were fuss free in most cases.
But absolutely no complaints of the Marantz sound for the amount paid.

Last edited:
Yes the Marantz is splendid for the money.
Any suggestions to upgrade from my 6002 upto budget of 60000. Did you audition any others before settling on the 6006.

Yes the Marantz is splendid for the money.
Any suggestions to upgrade from my 6002 upto budget of 60000. Did you audition any others before settling on the 6006.

Honestly speaking, was looking at players within ₹40,000 and this one came up although it did go slightly over 40k. I did not audition any other player and wanted a one box solution with a decent dac.

Hi Vivesh,

That was exactly what I was given to understand from Joshua's post. The tracks which skipped or does not play was from a brand new Neil Diamond's " All time greatest hits " cd, when played randomly or while programming the favourite tracks. The funny part is, it plays those particular tracks properly when played sequentially.

Regards,

Nitin

Not the player's fault this time, but apparently some other users on Amazon too got faulty cd's of Neil Diamond's "All-time greatest hits" with the same issue. Although there are no visible scratches, yet it seems faulty as the player just pauses at some tracks randomly.

I have a similar problem with some newly purchased Amazon India cds. There is no scratch but there are dropouts on the cds.
On further investigation i found that they are being pressed in Russia.
So have stopped using Amazon cds.

I have a similar problem with some newly purchased Amazon India cds. There is no scratch but there are dropouts on the cds.
On further investigation i found that they are being pressed in Russia.
So have stopped using Amazon cds.
For a long time I thought it was the player's fault but the cd turned out to be at fault. This one is from Capitol records and made in the EU which I suppose stands for European Union.
A pity as it has almost all the best tracks of Neil, but one cannot enjoy it due to defective mastering.
A lession learnt. Better to see the user reviews before purchasing on any online site.

Hi Nitin
All cds have an identification number which indicate in which factory it was pressed in the EU...UK and Germany.
The defect lot am referring to are not being officially imported by Universal Sony or Capitol but by some third party and these cds are being pressed in Russia.
My suggestion would be to avoid playing this cd as repeated playback will weaken the lens as it has to work harder to read the dropouts.
Cheers

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back