Marantz CD5001 CD Player

Jagat

Anybody hear the Marantz CD5001 CD Player? Do you recommend this unit or is there something better in this price range (Rs. 15-20k)?

Although the Marantz is a well built player I would suggest you listen to both NAD 521BEE and Azur 540C before making any decision. These two players should be well in your price range.

Yes Jagat,

Do look at the CA 540Cv2 & the 640Cv2 both these players are amazing and real value for money. Check out the reviews they have got. GO to their site and see for yourself. If you are in Mumbai, Call Veeru (the Soudsmiths) on: 9323111890 & mention my name.

Rgds

Prithvi (Absolute Phase)

Thanks everyone for your replies. Honestly I never expected a reply seeing that this was a new forum. Anyway I am impressed. This is going to be my new hangout.

I also need to buy an amp to replace my old Pioneer. I was considering Onkyo TX-SR504 to use an an amp as I mainly listen to music??

Prithvi I will visit you before I make final purchase.

Jagat,
Hi! If u are a pure music listener then the combo of the Cambridge Audio's 540Av2 & 540Cv2 or the much better combo of the 640Av2 & 640Cv2 is better than going in for the Onkyo.

I was the GM -India for Onkyo way back in 1996 and know that they make good HT. Period. Music- forget it.

Do let me know what spks you are using. Recently a client of mine went in for a 540Rv2/DVD89 & a full Dali Concept HT and I too was shocked at the sound quality both for music as well as HT.

Do call me on 9844094669 for a demo appointment, my friend.
Rgds

Prithvi.

Hi Jagat, thanks for considering Cambridge Audio.
We have had an unprecedented demand for the latest Version 2 of the 540 and 640 Azur series - they have proven to be able to outperform all their rivals priced even thousands of rupees more.

Do drop by Absolute Phase for a demo, you should not consider anything else before you give Cambridge Audio a listen.

Thank you all for the great help.

I will give the azur 540 v2 CD Player a hear with Prithvi.

Hehe...Jagat....I have auditioned all Marantz line of CDPs. CD5001, CD5400, CD7300 and the CC4300!!!! And also the cambridge audio 640C and 540C v2 and a couple of Denon high ends too. However, it is difficult to say as to which one is better unless u get to see all of them at one place.

Needless to say, CD7300 had been the best n the most robust of all i have seen so far. Its build quality is rock solid and uses n excellant DAC. It can play MP3s as well as unfinalized disks too. The best part i noticed on all Marantz players was that their grip on the CD is so well, that even if u keep drop the player few inches above the ground, the cds wont skip at all! The only player that goes near to its performance (as per the review) is Cambridge's new dual differntial 640C v2 which i m waiting to see at Prithvi's place. Ofcourse Arcam & Primare are supposed to be better but only if Veeru n his pals decide to drop some grands on its price tag!

However, the source has to be extremely important, as i have seen the difference in sound by switching between these marantz machines. The better the DAC, the better the quality of sound, smoothness and the detailing gets.

The NAD has some disc compatibility issues, and build quality is an issue. i m eager to see that. and ofcourse if u happen to go to mumbai, plz dont miss on the rotels. All these come about similar price with the CD7300 slightly expensive. Not as much as it used to be as this model is now getting manufactured at China too, for we not so luck indian dudes or shud i say audiophiles??? if u want the Jap made, then get somebdy to get one for u from UK and one for me too!!! never mind.

Conclusion - I would rate the CDPs as 7300>5400>5001>4300. I will not comapare them with Cambridge and NAD unless i get the same platform to audition all of them one by one. Pretty hard naa? What to do!!!

Cheers!!!

...It can play MP3s as well as unfinalized disks too. The best part i noticed on all Marantz players was that their grip on the CD is so well, that even if u keep drop the player few inches above the ground, the cds wont skip at all!...
Should not really be criteria for selection...

Anybody hear the Marantz CD5001 CD Player? Do you recommend this unit or is there something better in this price range (Rs. 15-20k)?

Hello Everyone.

If the budget can be extended slightly.... The NAD 542 is a Knock-Out. The HDCD decoder is a bliss to hear.

Agree with LANG on the 542. Marantz cdp's are good for their price as well. I personally prefer NAD and the Marantz line to the cambridge.

Manek.

HI, Jagat.The nad c542 is an amazing player and am using it currently.I have put it up for sale at rs15000 which is half its retail price.I am selling because I am upgrading to a much costlier tube cd player.

VENKATREDDY.
AUDIOPHILE

Thanks to all your help I have narrowed down my serach to the following two:

NAD C352 Amp + C542 CD Player for Rs. 58K

Cambridge Audio Azur CA 640C v2.0 + CA 640A v2.0 for Rs. 48K

I have raised my budget to 100K so would appreciate if you all can help me with suitable speakers (around 50K) to match the above two configurations. The speakers can be either floorstanders or bookshelf but they will need to have a front port as they will be placed close to the wall (don't have too much space). The room size is 5x5 metres.

Thanks.

If budget is critical, it may be better to save 10k to spend on speakers. In fact I would even save more on the CD player to get better speakers and then upgrade later when I had saved up some more.

Hi Jagat,

I have been previledged enough to have heard many a "ESOTERIC" setups and have owned a few too (Moved up the chain). However, "ONE" budget setup that really got me questioning the need to spend a huge packet on a "High-end" setup compirsed of the following:

NAD 542 CD Player, NAD 320 BEE Int. Amp, Monitor Audio Silver Series "S2" bookshelf speakers. Glorious Synergy between components. Great sound with all genres of music. Do write back if you need any further clarifications.

Lang

If budget is critical, it may be better to save 10k to spend on speakers. In fact I would even save more on the CD player to get better speakers and then upgrade later when I had saved up some more.

Thanks Sandeep on your recommendation.

Can you recommend me some speakers in the 50-75K range? The speakers can be either floorstanders or bookshelf but they will need to have a front port as they will be placed close to the wall (don't have too much space). The room size is 5x5 metres.

Thanks

Hi Jagat,

I have been previledged enough to have heard many a "ESOTERIC" setups and have owned a few too (Moved up the chain). However, "ONE" budget setup that really got me questioning the need to spend a huge packet on a "High-end" setup compirsed of the following:

NAD 542 CD Player, NAD 320 BEE Int. Amp, Monitor Audio Silver Series "S2" bookshelf speakers. Glorious Synergy between components. Great sound with all genres of music. Do write back if you need any further clarifications.

Lang

Thanks Sandeep on your recommendation.

Can you recommend me some speakers in the 50-75K range? The speakers can be either floorstanders or bookshelf but they will need to have a front port as they will be placed close to the wall (don't have too much space). The room size is 5x5 metres.

Thanks
If you are located in Mumbai, you should contact Soundsmiths. Contact them anyway, they will tell you their dealers at other places also. They have quite a wide range and are helpful. For speakers, there is no use going by others' recommendations. You simply need to hear for yourself and decide. e.g. very critically acclaimed brand with rave reviews to me sounded quite harsh and I settled on another mellower brand at half the cost. Almost all the good brands are decent in their own way. Some established brands may be a tad overpriced, some lesser known ones give good sound also. Ultimately difference is not all that much, but each manufacturer has own type of sound which you may or may not like. Also some models of speakers from good mfr. may not be upto the mark.

There is huge difference of opinion about bose as well. 50% say bose is chinese plastic crap and advt., 50% say sound is awesome.

Hi Jagat,
NAD in my opinion is a terrific CDP maker in the budget line. Listen to a NAD 521BEE and you would know what I am talking about.

For a speakers within 75k, check out the following:

1. Dynaudio Audience 52SE
2. Dali Ikon6
3. Monitor Audio Silver RS-6
4. Kef iQ7
5. Athena AS-F2.2

I have a suggestion out of the topic...Since I can see that your room is a square one (5M X 5M), I would guess, it can be a huge problem setting up your speakers. I have some personal experience in this department. Speakers can easily boom (even with the tightest Bass), some frequencies might be unnecessarily exagerrated. All this due to the very high amount standing waves being created in your room. Hence DO try to keep atleast 15% of your budget for room treatment. IMO it will take your system to another level.
There is no point in buying a 100k system while it sounds like a 50k ones in your room, instead buy a 80k system and let it sound like a 120k system.

Thats just a personal observation...please do your research before getting into this.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back