Marantz CD5001 CD Player

Yes Jagat,

Do look at the CA 540Cv2 & the 640Cv2 both these players are amazing and real value for money. Check out the reviews they have got. GO to their site and see for yourself. If you are in Mumbai, Call Veeru (the Soudsmiths) on: 9323111890 & mention my name.

Rgds

Prithvi (Absolute Phase)

Jagat,
Hi! If u are a pure music listener then the combo of the Cambridge Audio's 540Av2 & 540Cv2 or the much better combo of the 640Av2 & 640Cv2 is better than going in for the Onkyo.

I was the GM -India for Onkyo way back in 1996 and know that they make good HT. Period. Music- forget it.

Do let me know what spks you are using. Recently a client of mine went in for a 540Rv2/DVD89 & a full Dali Concept HT and I too was shocked at the sound quality both for music as well as HT.

Do call me on 9844094669 for a demo appointment, my friend.
Rgds

Prithvi.

Hi Jagat, thanks for considering Cambridge Audio.
We have had an unprecedented demand for the latest Version 2 of the 540 and 640 Azur series - they have proven to be able to outperform all their rivals priced even thousands of rupees more.

Do drop by Absolute Phase for a demo, you should not consider anything else before you give Cambridge Audio a listen.

Guys,
I would request you please keep such post to "Private Messages" (PM). Its hardcore marketing to say the least. Someone coming into this forum reading this thread will immediately get a feeling that its a "AUDIO BAZAAR" rather than a forum. Please dont send such wrong signal at the infant stage of the forum. Its great that Dealers believe in their product hence they would recommend them, but please keep it to PM to maintain a sanity of the forum.

Guys,
I would request you please keep such post to "Private Messages" (PM). Its hardcore marketing to say the least. Someone coming into this forum reading this thread will immediately get a feeling that its a "AUDIO BAZAAR" rather than a forum. Please dont send such wrong signal at the infant stage of the forum. Its great that Dealers believe in their product hence they would recommend them, but please keep it to PM to maintain a sanity of the forum.
I do not think so. In fact most people visit forums to check on feedback, locations, etc. for the products they intend to buy. This forum anyway has been started by the dealers and all they are saying is to check out the product from them before buying. On other PC forums also, online marketers comments, availability, ratings, etc. are all there on threads, rather than through PM. One or two threads may be a bit much, but let us keep it in the thread rather than through PM. I am quite sure we can figure out who is a dealer and who is a user.

This forum anyway has been started by the dealers

Just to clarify that this forum is not started by any dealer. It has been started by an individual who is an audiophile! Need more info please PM me.

Any dealer is free to participate in this forum (and undertsand that the best way to earn the trust and respect of forum members is to help them with their questions without directly promoting their company).

Dealers could also advertise their products & services here.

Just to clarify that this forum is not started by any dealer. It has been started by an individual who is an audiophile! Need more info please PM me.

Any dealer is free to participate in this forum and also advertise their products & services here.

I hope that dealers undertsnad that by far the best way to earn the trust and respect of forum members is to help them with their questions without directly promoting your company.
Glad to hear that dealers have not started this forum. No need for any more information. Maybe you should charge the dealers (handsomely) for posting here to partly recover your costs! After all they charge us (handsomely) when we want to buy something! :D

Hi Jagat,

I have been previledged enough to have heard many a "ESOTERIC" setups and have owned a few too (Moved up the chain). However, "ONE" budget setup that really got me questioning the need to spend a huge packet on a "High-end" setup compirsed of the following:

NAD 542 CD Player, NAD 320 BEE Int. Amp, Monitor Audio Silver Series "S2" bookshelf speakers. Glorious Synergy between components. Great sound with all genres of music. Do write back if you need any further clarifications.

Lang

Thanks Lang! I will check out the MA Silver Series S2 bookshelf speakers.

For Amp: Check this out Rotel RA-03.

Thanks for the input. I just checked the rotel website and noticed that they have replaced the RA-03 with the RA-06. I wonder if they have intoduced that over here.

I do not think so. In fact most people visit forums to check on feedback, locations, etc. for the products they intend to buy. This forum anyway has been started by the dealers and all they are saying is to check out the product from them before buying. On other PC forums also, online marketers comments, availability, ratings, etc. are all there on threads, rather than through PM. One or two threads may be a bit much, but let us keep it in the thread rather than through PM. I am quite sure we can figure out who is a dealer and who is a user.

Sorry to disagree friend, I dont know who has started this forum (though it has been clarified that he is not a dealer) but the essence of this forum is purely audio related discussion just like any other forum viz Audio Asylum, head-fi.com etc. If you check out those forums, such product promotion and commercial marketing like discussions are carried out only through PM. That preserves the sanity of the forum makes its environment quite neutral. Its ok to expect feedback about products but that when comes out of a dealers mouth is more like a marketing but when it comes out of a user's mouth is known as feedback.

Hi Dr. Bass have you heard the Athena AS-F2.2? I would like your view/opinion on them if you have heard them.

Last edited:
Holy Cow!!!

The Athena Audition Series 2 model AS-F2.2 has two 8" woofers one 1" Teteron Dome tweeter and seems to be an easy load to drive (Sensitivity 93dB). Moreover each speaker weighs 20Kgs. The bass vent is purposely placed on the front of the cabinet allowing you to place the speaker closer to the rear wall. Great for the small rooms. Must check this speaker out.

The AS-F1.2 has one 8" woofer and a tweeter. Seems to be more suitable for smaller rooms. In fact AV Max had reviewed the the older AS-F1 in March 2005 issue.

Sorry to disagree friend, I dont know who has started this forum (though it has been clarified that he is not a dealer) but the essence of this forum is purely audio related discussion just like any other forum viz Audio Asylum, head-fi.com etc. If you check out those forums, such product promotion and commercial marketing like discussions are carried out only through PM. That preserves the sanity of the forum makes its environment quite neutral. Its ok to expect feedback about products but that when comes out of a dealers mouth is more like a marketing but when it comes out of a user's mouth is known as feedback.

DR Bass,
I agree with your views whole heartedly. I was convinced that this would happen sooner or later ;)

Agree with moderator too.

Manek.

DR Bass,
I agree with your views whole heartedly. I was convinced that this would happen sooner or later ;)

Manek.

Thanks for all your comments. I would however appreciate if you could help me (a newbie) in his quest to audio nirvana.

Manek can you comment on a good pair of floorstanders/standmounters that you would recommend under 50K.

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks.

Speaker should be discussed in another section but since you asked....
my choices would be in this order

1) Cadence Arita - standmounts
2) Maggie's - MMG or MG12
3) Quad 12L - Standmounts
4) Quad 21L - Floorstanders
5) Monitor Audio Silver - Standmounts & floorstanders

Manek.

Thanks for all your comments. I would however appreciate if you could help me (a newbie) in his quest to audio nirvana.

Manek can you comment on a good pair of floorstanders/standmounters that you would recommend under 50K.

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks.

HI Jagat,
Please mention your listening preferences:
1. What Genres you listen to mainly?
2. Room Size ?
3. How loud ?
4. Any particular inclination towards Bass, Mids or highs ?
5. Anything else you would like to specify as your personal preference ?

Hey! I own a Nad 320BEE, Nad 542cd, Dynaudio Audience 52 along with kimber interconnects. I had got this set up after a lot of auditioning infact for almost an yr. I also had almost similar constraints of budget & port placement. Right from the beginning I was drawn to the 320BEE as I felt it was the most neutral & sweet sounding amp around at that price. Also I felt that the 542 is a much better cd player then the 521BEE. I had also auditioned the Cambridge 540 cd &amp, which I felt the sound was a bit dynamic and lacked but it could be of the fact that they were connected to some midpriced jamo?s. For all the spks I had audtioned I carried my cdplayer, amps & interconnects along. I had auditioned loads of spks but I am mentioning only those that I had considered as serious options,
1. The cadence arita?s, which sounded a bit too dynamic, & boomy for my taste,
2. The quad 12L sounded much better then the 11L but they couldn?t handle much of hip-hop & heavy metal. Though it sounded heavenly with any kind of light rock & roll or classical music.
3. The tannoy sensys DC1 were really good but I found them to be bit forward & bright although the focus was among the best.
4. Finally I just I loved the dynaudio 52?s. Though they love power the nad drives them well.

Later on I also had the chance to connect the 52?s with the Cambridge 640 cd & amp. The set up sounded good but I found the nad to be a bit more musical although I may have seriously considered the 640?s if had got my hands on them earlier for there all-round performance & the more powerful amp. The set up that I felt in love with instantly was the 52SE, quad 909amp & CD 99pre but at that point I wasn?t able to double my budget plus I had already bought my gear.
I hope my experience will help you a bit in your decision. Wish you all the best. Cheers.

DR Bass,
I agree with your views whole heartedly. I was convinced that this would happen sooner or later

Manek.

Hello Manek Bhai.... Trouble maker is here now... hehehehe

As far as CDP's are concerned NAD 521 is indeed elementary technology. I also heard thet the transports they use in 520 and 542 are modified CD ROMs:( .

Neo give Marantz 63 SE/KI or 67 SE/KI a good listen and yes these are far far better than NAD 542's.

Hello Manek Bhai.... Trouble maker is here now... hehehehe

As far as CDP's are concerned NAD 521 is indeed elementary technology. I also heard thet the transports they use in 520 and 542 are modified CD ROMs:( .

Neo give Marantz 63 SE/KI or 67 SE/KI a good listen and yes these are far far better than NAD 542's.

hey! i'll def try give marantz a listen. But is the price?
yes i agree the transport in the nad is a very ordinary sony transport, but at the time of my purchase say abt 2 yrs back it was one of the best at that price.

Price??? heheh they are no more in production and you get good used examples for 7-9k.. Infact I had one 63KI for 8k and this one had a whole copper bottom. Beleive me it is worth every penny and hot cake for mods.
This is one CDP which can be modded upto any extent to match CDP's worth $1k.

Price??? heheh they are no more in production and you get good used examples for 7-9k.. Infact I had one 63KI for 8k and this one had a whole copper bottom. Beleive me it is worth every penny and hot cake for mods.
This is one CDP which can be modded upto any extent to match CDP's worth $1k.

sounds good try to get my hands on one.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back