Marantz NR1504 vs Yamaha RX-V477

mmaran

Hi All

I am bit confused to choose between 1504 and V477. I read many reviews about both the receivers saying both are good. In specific about 40% of the reviews supports 1504 and about 60% of the users supports V477. So I preferred Yamaha, but one of my friend forces me to go with Marantz as it will be good for music. I am confused :confused::confused:

I am more specific about audio clarity and music than movies, could run about 3 hours per day.

Also, I have ordered Pioneer AJ-5235XT speaker package and waiting for delivery.

Please I need you friends and experts to take me to the right way!

Marantz makes it to the top simply because its a calm reciever and has perfect balance between sounding dull and harsh. You really need to audition a same set of speakers using multiple recievers and compare which you like. To start you are bound to be satisfied with whatever you purchase. But once you have a keen ear for music and then you will be able to distinguish between what sounds harsh and which sounds smooth.....to which you can listen longer hours without causing fatigue. I have auditioned multiple avrs. And found marantz a very decent one. Also it mainly depends on what kind of music you would like to hear. I can say that marantz is a perfect reciever for music and movies both. The general reason for not considering marantz by many is because many on a budget cannot afford the marantz because of the cost. There are recievers well below its price. And that doesnt seem a problem for you. Again would suggest Marantz over yamaha. But would still recommended a side by side audition. My choice ideally would be marantz if i was more keen on music performance:)

Thank you rayvonnee for your suggestions, I think I got some interest with Marantz again :)

Hopefully, I will have to find a dealer in Chennai to audition this. I have few clarification below:

1. do we need a step down converter/any other way and any issues to use if required? I believe in asian model it is not required?

2. will it be power enough as it is only 50/60w? please note am going to use Pioneer AJ-5235XT speaker package for my 12x24 living room.

3. Post sales service centers in Chennai

Thanks

Thank you rayvonnee for your suggestions, I think I got some interest with Marantz again :)

Hopefully, I will have to find a dealer in Chennai to audition this. I have few clarification below:

1. do we need a step down converter/any other way and any issues to use if required? I believe in asian model it is not required?

2. will it be power enough as it is only 50/60w? please note am going to use Pioneer AJ-5235XT speaker package for my 12x24 living room.

3. Post sales service centers in Chennai

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------

My Marantz PM6004 (45Watt/channel) drives POLK TSx330T(FS) without any issues and I hardly go beyond 10'o clock for music and movies. Bottom-line is, you can trust Marantz's output rating. :) :) :)
Remember, Delivering high-wattage doesn't mean delivering good music!!!!

Last edited:
Marantz is really a good receiver with decent power. On paper the power looks a little lesser but the power in actual is almost equal to the ones from other brands. You can definately drive the andrew jones speakers with it. Wont seem to be a problem. BTW definately check the price of this avr as it is quite less compared to the MRP. 51900/-. I got one from a dealer in mumbai for 32500/- Even the price on hifimart is 36k so try to not pay a higher price for the same incase you are buying. Would also suggest you to try denon which is also good avr brand and specially the X-series recievers are also well balanced with only a slight punch in sound(WHICH I LIKE). It is perfect for movies and also decent enough for music. I have heard marantz and denon both. I actually prefer denon for the punchy sound(Not harsh in anyway). Must audition once

Just to tell you that i had a very good experience with marantz service center. No issues in claiming warranty. Mz audio was the place and i believe they are the official dealers in india for marantz. Maybe the service backup is only good at certain places. Have heard about this in other threads too. In that respect i feel yamaha is better in terms of service. Also i dont see any problem in buying denon as profx is present and is much widelely established than marantz. Denon and marantz come from the same parent company. D&M holdings. Recommend an audition with denon if you are worried with the service issue aspect. Yamaha is a bit bright on the ears in my opinion. Which i believe denon isnt very much bright and will perform well for music too.

Last edited:
@mmaran

Am also looking to upgrade to the same av receiver and speakers. Are the pioneer speakers available in chennai?

Thanks

Yes, yesterday I have received only AJ package :yahoo: Waiting for Yamaha receiver.

Packing: Perfectly packed, absolutely safe, no damage. I don't have receiver so unable to connect and check the functionality. Eagerly waiting for receiver which could be delivered today / tomorrow.

Each pack (totally 5 boxes) contains warranty card with serial number but no seal and selling date. Will have to use the Invoice from snapdeal/seller for further warranty.

Shall post more details once I received and verified with receiver :)

Wow :) Good to know about packing and warranty. Gives me confidence. Thanks mmaran for sharing.

What made you to choose Yamaha?

Do share us with your experience, especially about music playback.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back