Marantz PM 5005 to PM6004. Is it worth it?

zelda

Hi folks,

I am using a PM5005 stereo amp and I have a option to upgrade to PM6004.I don't know if this is really a upgrade and if it is worth it. Will there be any noticeable SQ difference?from the specs I understand that the power ratings are almost the same. One reason for me to think about this is heavier whathifi praises PM6004 a lot and I see a lot of reveiew for this but not so much for 5005.

Any thoughts ?

PM6004 is definitely a better option. It has torodial transformer. Better power handling capacity, better bass response in low volume as compared to 5005. Not sure how much difference it would make but it can drive a lot of speakers including floor standers IMHO.

PM6004 is definitely a better option. It has torodial transformer. Better power handling capacity, better bass response in low volume as compared to 5005. Not sure how much difference it would make but it can drive a lot of speakers including floor standers IMHO.

Thanks for the input. So there are other architectural differences apart from power output... Now the question is .. How much of difference does it make..

In my honest opinion its not a big upgrade. I own a 6004 but not heard any other series except the 6003 (and I did not find any difference to my ears between them), so I think look for something in a higher bracket to have a decent and long term (at least 2 yrs :) ) satisfaction. As you never know that even after 6004 you may not be satisfied. Just do not only look at power ratings/technical information and all but if possible borrow it and hear it in your system and decide honestly.

PM6004 is definitely a better option. It has torodial transformer. Better power handling capacity, better bass response in low volume .... it can drive a lot of speakers including floor standers ...
Agree: Yes I do with B&W 603 S2 and I suppose that 6005 is still better than 6004;
In a 30 sqmt room:
Vol with CD < H9
Vol with phono < H10
Don't be afraid about 45 W/8 Ohm ... :sos:

attachment.php

Last edited:
In my honest opinion its not a big upgrade. I own a 6004 but not heard any other series except the 6003 (and I did not find any difference to my ears between them), so I think look for something in a higher bracket to have a decent and long term (at least 2 yrs :) ) satisfaction. As you never know that even after 6004 you may not be satisfied. Just do not only look at power ratings/technical information and all but if possible borrow it and hear it in your system and decide honestly.

Thanks for the input. I was also thinking the same. Power ratings are almost the same. But I have to make the decision today:rolleyes:

Agree: Yes I do with B&W 603 S2 and I suppose that 6005 is still better than 6004;
In a 30 sqmt room:
Vol with CD < H9
Vol with phono < H10
Don't be afraid about 45 W/8 Ohm ... :sos:

attachment.php

Hmm.. I am assuming that the sound would be better on 6004 from the replies and from Googling. I will get the Amp tomorrow and until I sell my 5005 , I will have have both and May be I can do some testing...:yahoo:

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back