Marantz SD-5 headphone????

Wharfedale Evo 4.2

anm

Hi,
I am getting an used marantz headphone. Though I am not too much in favor of an used headphone since it touches your ears - but I am wondering if it is classic and is good?
Is philips SHP 8900 comparable or better than this?

regards

anm

Re: Marantz SD-5 headphone - or philips 8900????

I am trying to change the title. How to change it for the top level/ first post?

anm

About 3-4k not more than that.
Sources - laptop, headphone jack on hk6550, headphone jack of lyrita pre (I would get that done soon), and if I get a cd player with headphone jack, maybe that as well.
Not planning to buy a separate headphone amp.
If I get a htpc/ xonar card (which I may soon) then that as well.

reignofchaos

About 3-4k not more than that.
Sources - laptop, headphone jack on hk6550, headphone jack of lyrita pre (I would get that done soon), and if I get a cd player with headphone jack, maybe that as well.
Not planning to buy a separate headphone amp.
If I get a htpc/ xonar card (which I may soon) then that as well.

If you are okay with IEMs, look at the Head-direct RE0. Just got one and to be honest it kills my old HD650 in transparency. Costed me 99$ shipped to India.

anm

Actually the only half decent ones I have are the in-ears from sony erricsson. I find them good fit inside my ears, and sound quality quite good. But I was looking for some "audiophile" headphones to hear the difference myself.
ROC - unfortunately I do not have a CC right now to buy online. Waiting for one from ICICI - hope they will deliver within a month.
Does anyone has experience with this marantz, and is it a good deal at this price?

anm

hey ROC,
between re0 and re2, which ones are better, in case you have done some research? I was looking at some headfi thread and it said re2 was better, and also bit cheaper.

regards

Yes and you can order directly from head-direct. Look up head-fi for reviews.