Marantz SR6005 opinions

flat_listener

Looking to start up my HT setup with 5.1 speakers and a receiver. Have pretty much decided to go with A26 after listening to quite a few different bookshelf speakers (MA, POLK, BOSTON ACOUSTICS, WHARFEDALE)... i am a bit undecided on whether to get the A26 or the A25 for surrounds. Anyone with opinions on these two models?
I do plan to add A 225C center, velodyne sub.

Leaning towards Marantz SR6005 AVR... I fall back to my listening session at the dealer, and I was impressed. I will, however, run it in a stereo also as well, as I only have one system. We usually watch a movie on the weekend, and I usually run TV audio through the system as well. What do you guys think... my questions for those that may own this or other Marantz receivers, are there any issues that you have come across with them?

Will add a projector and screen, but probably later on. I will use this setup for a mix of music, movies, and games, so want it to be a good all rounder.

BTW all the above gear is on sale at discounted price, which fits my budget.
Would appreciate any opinions on this. This will be my first HT.
Thankls

28 views but not a single response from members :sad:

Ok, here are the prices offered to me...

*Boston Acoustics A26..... 15,000/- (Brand new pair)
*Boston Acoustics A26..... 12,000/- (Demo Pair)
*Boston Acoustics A25..... 10,000/- (Demo Pair)
*Boston Acoustics A225C..... 12,000/- (Demo Piece)

*Velodyne CHT-15R..... 30,000/- (Used for demo)
*Marantz SR6005..... 33,000/- (Sealed brand new, but the dealer says its discontinued model, hence the discount)

Mainly to kind of share and admit that it is nearly impossible to build a HT system within a certain budget, are these prices justified?

^^ what's your location? I'm also looking for an avr + speakers with almost same requirements as yours.

If you can wait, then wait for the ELAC B6 / B5 - Andrew jones to release.
They seem to have really good initial reviews.

Marantz SR6005 is a great receiver especially at the price offered. Make sure the warranty is in place, just in case. I would not even consider any other choices given the price, if you are fine with the features that are available on the AVR.
Speakers, if the choice is only bookshelf then A26 should be fine but I feel you can get a bit more of the AVR if you can accommodate floorstanders. Center speaker is very imp for HT and please make sure that you buy the center from the same series as fronts at the least.

Hello!

I've owned the SR6006 model for a couple of years now and am very happy with it.

Great for movies. I do, however, maintain a separate system for stereo audio.

Marantz has great sound quality but best to get the older models (which you are about to...) since Marantz is now owned by denon and the newer models are declining in sound quality (a recent review from a mag I trust commented that the latest Marantz avr sounds just like a denon. a shame)

I run mine with small Quad speakers and subwoofer and get great immersive sound fields on movies. Also great for watching concert videos.

As I am an audiophile and I listen carefully, I will recommend using good power cables and speaker cables. I use Kimber 4tc for the Quad satellites.

The older Marantz models are good enough in sound quality where you will hear differences using better wires.

If you do go the route of getting high-end cables dont buy any cables coming out of china/hong kong. Lots of forgeries out there and ebay is full of fake knock off cables.

Ive never heard the A26 (or any Boston Acoustic) speakers but Im sure they will do great.
But I'm surprised you didn't prefer WHARFEDALE (10.1).
Also, the pioneer speaker models by Andrew Jones are awesome for the price and I would guide you that way/

Last edited:
^^ what's your location? I'm also looking for an avr + speakers with almost same requirements as yours.

Located in R.R Dist, Telangana

If you can wait, then wait for the ELAC B6 / B5 - Andrew jones to release.
They seem to have really good initial reviews.

Any idea when they will be available in India? there really is a lot of positive talk about the ELAC Debut line... will these series speakers finally provide audiophiles and home theater lovers with a true, high-performance entry level series that covers every speaker combination?

Marantz SR6005 is a great receiver especially at the price offered. Make sure the warranty is in place, just in case. I would not even consider any other choices given the price, if you are fine with the features that are available on the AVR.
Speakers, if the choice is only bookshelf then A26 should be fine but I feel you can get a bit more of the AVR if you can accommodate floorstanders. Center speaker is very imp for HT and please make sure that you buy the center from the same series as fronts at the least.

They are hands down the best looking AVR on the market (IMHO) with beautifully clean lines... anyway, like the specs & looks and i guess only downside is it has single HDMI output. A 225C is the same series center.

Hello!

I've owned the SR6006 model for a couple of years now and am very happy with it.

Great for movies. I do, however, maintain a separate system for stereo audio.

Marantz has great sound quality but best to get the older models (which you are about to...) since Marantz is now owned by denon and the newer models are declining in sound quality (a recent review from a mag I trust commented that the latest Marantz avr sounds just like a denon. a shame)

I run mine with small Quad speakers and subwoofer and get great immersive sound fields on movies. Also great for watching concert videos.

As I am an audiophile and I listen carefully, I will recommend using good power cables and speaker cables. I use Kimber 4tc for the Quad satellites.

The older Marantz models are good enough in sound quality where you will hear differences using better wires.

If you do go the route of getting high-end cables dont buy any cables coming out of china/hong kong. Lots of forgeries out there and ebay is full of fake knock off cables.

Ive never heard the A26 (or any Boston Acoustic) speakers but Im sure they will do great.
But I'm surprised you didn't prefer WHARFEDALE (10.1).
Also, the pioneer speaker models by Andrew Jones are awesome for the price and I would guide you that way/

Thanks for the feedback rsud, i have provided DAC 14 gauge speaker and Supra HDMI cables. I preferred this package because my pocket book permits...

Hi

IMO Marantz are musical warm avrs and perform well. Bostons, Jamos match very well with Marantz and performance for movies and music is awesome....there are quite a few members who own such setups....

The SR5008 is an audiophile designed avr and has many positive reviews...not sure of the 5009 or 5010 which are just upgrades in terms of Bluetooth and wifi....everything else more or less the same.....

End of the day, trust your ears and eyes and make the right move towards the system which appeals to you! all the best

Hi guys!

Received all the equipment... mounting brackets also delivered by the courier today.
Planning to install the gear this coming holiday... if I find a installer willing to work on that day... will update with pics.

Few pics of the material:

AzfPYMl.jpg

Marantz AVR:
GIazZ58.jpg

Wall mounting bracets in white carton:
ASPegiP.jpg

Velodyne CHT-15R Sub-woofer:
B2VJnuH.jpg

8p6AHdv.jpg

Hi friends, finally got the gear installed its up and running. :)
I am happy with the nice and balanced sound the sub is really rocking the room. :D

FrontLeftSpeaker
vEa6sZK.jpg

Front Right Speaker
SmLNaBO.jpg

Velodyne Sub woofer
KzwvA5S.jpg

Marantz AVR, Center channel and Bluray player
UqOCVJb.jpg

Ambient lighting
nYZQiUO.jpg

Pt3DYQB.jpg

View from seating position
MTARA2m.jpg

More updates after I install the projector and big screen.

Congrats on a modest but nice and neat setup... the second image seems to be rear surround and not front right :confused:

Also why the sub is toed in... any specific reason? nice stopper arrangement for the door... have you done any acoustics? how ever, hang a thick drape on that glass door.

Try to mount the CC immediately below the screen to minimize the the horizontal distance with front LR speakers... then you can remove the extra piece of cabinet by shifting the AVR.

What is the size of the room? also post images of the seating area.

Cheers!

Hi

I would suggest you keep the Blu Ray player in the shelf below which is above the AVR.....the center and subwoofer does most of the work in a movie and there could be vibrations emitted from the center speaker which may move or shake the player.....

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back