Marantz SR6012 & Polk RTI A9 floor standing speakers

mreddyj

Friends,
I would like to go with the following combination of Marantz SR6012( i already own) with Polk RTI A9 towers. i got to hear that Marantz(warm) & Polk(sharp) goes well, i have these questions

1) Can Marantz SR6012 support Polk RTI A9 ? or will it lack on the power side and will need an extra amp ?
2) Is this a good combination
3) I am limited to either POlk or KEF floor standing speakers since i have coupons on Flipkart and can't seem to find another set of FS as of now.

Btw the purpose is to use this in my terrace room for mostly music since i have the HT setup in the living room and i will be using this as "zone2" of my Marantz.

Thanks in advance.

-Manju

Friends,
I would like to go with the following combination of Marantz SR6012( i already own) with Polk RTI A9 towers. i got to hear that Marantz(warm) & Polk(sharp) goes well, i have these questions

1) Can Marantz SR6012 support Polk RTI A9 ? or will it lack on the power side and will need an extra amp ?
3) I am limited to either POlk or KEF floor standing speakers since i have coupons on Flipkart and can't seem to find another set of FS as of now.

Btw the purpose is to use this in my terrace room for mostly music since i have the HT setup in the living room and i will be using this as "zone2" of my Marantz.

Thanks in advance.

-Manju
With Marantz 6012 u can't use full potential of rti a9.
I was using Polk rti a7 paired with marantz 6011 but never got satisfied. Then I paired it with marantz mm7025 power amp , result was much better.

Friends,

Thanks in advance.

-Manju
RTi A9 is power hungry. Please try out the AVR with the speakers, since you already have the AVR.
Carry it to ProFx and check out both speaker brands you have mentioned.
Cheers,
Raghu

I have auditioned Marantz SR6012 with KEF Q900 and the combo sounds great. Life like soundstage with strong and focused center image was the highlight. The combo was warm and musical may be more suitable for music. Also auditioned Polk RTiA5 with Denon AVR x2200 but to my test Polk was bright and may be not suitable for longer music listening sessions. Audition is the key in this regard....

1) Can Marantz SR6012 support Polk RTI A9 ? or will it lack on the power side and will need an extra amp ?. Btw the purpose is to use this in my terrace room for mostly music since i have the HT setup in the living room and i will be using this as "zone2" of my Marantz.

Marantz SR 6012 is capable of 110 Watts, 2 channels driven.. IMO, it is sufficient enough to drive RTi A9..

I suppose Polk RTi A9 is abt a Lac or slightly more.. For the same money you would spend on RTi A9, you can pick a brand new 5.1 AVR + pair of BS + dual subs.. There wouldn't be a need of worrying if the AVR will power such huge speakers, also subs will take care of solid lows..

Marantz SR 6012 is capable of 110 Watts, 2 channels driven.. IMO, it is sufficient enough to drive RTi A9..

I suppose Polk RTi A9 is abt a Lac or slightly more.. For the same money you would spend on RTi A9, you can pick a brand new 5.1 AVR + pair of BS + dual subs.. There wouldn't be a need of worrying if the AVR will power such huge speakers, also subs will take care of solid lows..
This would be a risky assumption. OP wants to use Zone2 to power these speakers for music.
HT will probably be provisioned separately, if I have read the initial post.
I have heard A9 and A7 in demo room. A good Denon IA was struggling to make them sing.
Since the OP has the AVR with him, the wise thing would be to just carry it to the showroom.
And set it up in exactly the same intended usage situation and evaluate the performance.
Cheers,
Raghu

This would be a risky assumption. OP wants to use Zone2 to power these speakers for music.
I have heard A9 and A7 in demo room. A good Denon IA was struggling to make them sing.

Hmm Ok.. The speaker is 90dB efficient, so only a few watts can bring it to life.. AVR has capability of 100 Watts of continous power in 2 channel mode.. So it should fairly do..

Since the OP has the AVR with him, the wise thing would be to just carry it to the showroom.
And set it up in exactly the same intended usage situation and evaluate the performance.

Agreed.. But lugging a 15 Kg AVR is difficult.. Moreover he has to disconnect all the speakers and he would loose the calibration settings.. Logistical issue.. But if he can lug it, then fine..

Hmm Ok.. The speaker is 90dB efficient, so only a few watts can bring it to life.. AVR has capability of 100 Watts of continous power in 2 channel mode.. So it should fairly do..

Agreed.. But lugging a 15 Kg AVR is difficult.. Moreover he has to disconnect all the speakers and he would loose the calibration settings.. Logistical issue.. But if he can lug it, then fine..
@elangoas
This was my impression too. But the magic did not happen when I heard them out.
Something was not adding up logically.

@mreddyj
If lugging the AVR is not an option, at least pair up with a similar spec'd AVR at demo room.
Denon is carried by ProFx. There should be a comparable model for trial.
Also, they carry KEFs that you have listed as a probable.
If zone 2 speakers are gonna be used exclusively for music, do audition the KEF Q series (FS and BS)
You may just like the KEF sound over Polk sound. Audition and let your ears be your guide.
Cheers,
Raghu

Friends,

Thanks in advance.

-Manju
If it's for music ,then better to go with KEF IMO.

Friends,

Thanks in advance.

-Manju

Hi

The SR6012 can easily handle it....you can send a pair of extra wires from each speaker and hook the same to the Marantz as B speakers or Bi Amp...see which options has a better output...audition with the same song / movie clip at the same volume........you may need to run audyssey again and again.......since you are using it from Zone 2....you may then after audyssey calibration....need to tweak the speaker levels manually ..which can be done....

Polks and Marantz are known good combos.....if you can afford a KEF and if the music is strictly more for music....makes sense then

Why not explore some nice powered speakers which can meet your requirements since signals will be from Zone 2?

RTi A9 is power hungry. Please try out the AVR with the speakers, since you already have the AVR.
Carry it to ProFx and check out both speaker brands you have mentioned.
Cheers,
Raghu

Hmmm yeah carrying it and testing is something i did not think of may be i will try that out. just that i will lose out the settings.

Hi

The SR6012 can easily handle it....you can send a pair of extra wires from each speaker and hook the same to the Marantz as B speakers or Bi Amp...see which options has a better output...audition with the same song / movie clip at the same volume........you may need to run audyssey again and again.......since you are using it from Zone 2....you may then after audyssey calibration....need to tweak the speaker levels manually ..which can be done....

Polks and Marantz are known good combos.....if you can afford a KEF and if the music is strictly more for music....makes sense then

Why not explore some nice powered speakers which can meet your requirements since signals will be from Zone 2?

Thanks @efernand1 , even i am hoping the Polks & Marantz are good combos. whenever i have auditioned KEF & Polks with Denon i feel the polks have a good distinguisher for the details, though some say its sharp/harsh....but i kind of liked. And another thing is the bass is very good and better than KEF.

One thing i did not understand is do i need to connect additonal wires from other speakers to the zone 2 speaker in order to get more power ? Will this screw up anythign else ?

What do you mean by powered speakers, aren't Polk RTI A9 isn't powered ones ?

Though Polks are highly regarded speakers in India, Kef's are better suited for music.
i don't know the ProFX also was trying to sell the Polks than KEFS and during audition i liked the bass & sharpness on Polks. Wat kind of music sounds better on KEFs. infact i already have HT setup and i have BS speakers from Dali & i feel they are warm.

Cheers,
Raghu

thanks for sharing your experience, so you are saying even the A7 was not able to perform ? The demo guy had a older version of the Denon and it was sounding good......i think i should just carry my AVR.

@elangoas
This was my impression too. But the magic did not happen when I heard them out.
Something was not adding up logically.

@mreddyj
If lugging the AVR is not an option, at least pair up with a similar spec'd AVR at demo room.
Denon is carried by ProFx. There should be a comparable model for trial.
Also, they carry KEFs that you have listed as a probable.
If zone 2 speakers are gonna be used exclusively for music, do audition the KEF Q series (FS and BS)
You may just like the KEF sound over Polk sound. Audition and let your ears be your guide.
Cheers,
Raghu
I tried KEFs & Polks, like i mentioned on some thread, firstly Profx always tries to sell Polk & when they play the music - i really like the bass & the sharpness on Polks better. And on KEF they are not so good....so whats wrong here ...i kind of music matters ? or i guess i am not able to catch the difference.... :(

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back