Marantz SR7008 - Audio cutting off after 10 to 15mins - Sorry for being so lengthy

Srinivasan Palani

Hello Eveyone,
I have been using Denon AVR 3805 and upgraded to Marantz SR7008 couple of years back
I am having bitter experience with Marantz and not interested to continue anymore if this issue cannot be resolved or it would cost too much. Would appreciate your advise if it is related to any setup issue, I also admit that the setup is bit advanced for me

Sometime back my primary HDMI out stopped working but i managed to get the HDMI out through ZONE-2 and driving the audio in my main Zone

I am having 3 inputs to my device i.e Firestick, Analog Audio & IPOD

A week back, while watching a movie, audio was cutting off intermittent and in few mins it was gone completely

I thought the issue was with Firestick. However, audio is being passed properly to TV
I tried checking the audio setup in Firestick and the SR7008 setup, everything appears good

As i was trying out the setup could notice a strange thing as mentioned below :-

Setup - Bluray Source(Firestick) - Zone 2 Video Out - Master Zone Audio Out - VIDEO IS WORKING FINE and Audio is cutting off after few mins

For the above setup when I change the source for Zone-2 from Bluray to DVD - AUDIO IS WORKING FINE and it is coming from Bluray source through DvD but Video is not going to TV through Zone-2

This proves that the Audio and Video are coming from firestick but not managed properly from SR7008
My Analog and IPOD inputs are working fine, I believe the Optical & Coax will also be working

I am looking for some Audio Guru's advise if this is a setup issue or a HDMI board problem and how do it get it resolved

Note : I have cleaned up the HDMI pins with IPA cleaner

Thanks, Srini
Chennai

some Marantz models do have the niggly Hdmi board issue. Better you search online and see if its one.. hope its not and can be rectified soon

Hello Eveyone,
I have been using Denon AVR 3805 and upgraded to Marantz SR7008 couple of years back
I am having bitter experience with Marantz and not interested to continue anymore if this issue cannot be resolved or it would cost too much. Would appreciate your advise if it is related to any setup issue, I also admit that the setup is bit advanced for me

Sometime back my primary HDMI out stopped working but i managed to get the HDMI out through ZONE-2 and driving the audio in my main Zone

I am having 3 inputs to my device i.e Firestick, Analog Audio & IPOD

A week back, while watching a movie, audio was cutting off intermittent and in few mins it was gone completely

I thought the issue was with Firestick. However, audio is being passed properly to TV
I tried checking the audio setup in Firestick and the SR7008 setup, everything appears good

As i was trying out the setup could notice a strange thing as mentioned below :-

Setup - Bluray Source(Firestick) - Zone 2 Video Out - Master Zone Audio Out - VIDEO IS WORKING FINE and Audio is cutting off after few mins

For the above setup when I change the source for Zone-2 from Bluray to DVD - AUDIO IS WORKING FINE and it is coming from Bluray source through DvD but Video is not going to TV through Zone-2

This proves that the Audio and Video are coming from firestick but not managed properly from SR7008
My Analog and IPOD inputs are working fine, I believe the Optical & Coax will also be working

I am looking for some Audio Guru's advise if this is a setup issue or a HDMI board problem and how do it get it resolved

Note : I have cleaned up the HDMI pins with IPA cleaner

Thanks, Srini
Chennai

There is always an HDMI board issue and the connect to the Amplifier section. I faced an issue in the SR7007 where the output was the problem. Got it fixed and sold the AVR before it gave any more issues. The Latest model is the SR7015 which was launched in 2020/2021. The SR7008 is almost 7 models old and getting parts is a big challenge and costly affair.

It would make sense to check with a knowledgeable repairer and find out exactly if there is indeed an issue with the board and how much it would cost. Depending on the cost of repairs etc. take a call to either go for another AVR (new will be expensive) or see for a pre owned one which is almost the latest model or slightly older which will help to enjoy atleast for another 3-5 years depending on how you use and maintain it.

HDMI board issues is a problem in most AVRs nowadays and its only the latest Higher models that are built well and Made in Japan....hence more expensive.

For example I am still trying to get my hands on a SR8012 if possible as the SR8015 is definitely beyond my budget. the Latest Cinema 50 is something very new and yet expensive which is not a top priority for me.

Check with a skilled known repairer the exact issue and then take a call as in next steps whats to be done.

All the best!

Do you hear click sound before audio cut? In that case there is a DC issue in input or preamp board. If not, then may be hdmi board issue

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back