Marten Bird 2 speakers...

Wow they look great!! I see the Steins behind doing their duty and are those Jorma Primes on the floor in the first pic !?!?!?

...and Dan looks might pleased. Did you get the Paravacini amps?

:)

Staxxx, good eye ;) I rewired the system with all Jorma Origo...the Jorma cables are on loan just to play around with. I did want to play with the Prime as it would be a big problem if I ended up liking them!

Yes, the whole backend electronics chain is by Tim De Paravicini.

Recently, I heard the Marten Coltrane Supreme II at CES 2014 in Las Vegas and more importantly, I heard them at the new owners house here in Southern California. The amps used were Marten's own amplifiers, preamp was the EAR 912, digital sources were an Acute III cd player and the MSB digital stack (The $6k Acute III sounded much more analog and natural compared to the $85k MSB Stack which was a DAC IV Select, UMT Plus Transport. DAC IV Select has the FemtoSecond Galaxy Clock in it), top of the line HRS rack for the electronics and HRS amp stands for the Marten amps.

I was helping the EAR distributor and owner dial in the speaker and finally spike the speakers (which made a massive difference in imaging, a standing bass wave and overall coherency). Joe Kubala of Kubala Sosna cables joined us later in the day and we finally celebrated with a toast when all was dialed in to our taste.

I took some iphone pics during the tweaking....It was a GREAT day and an experience I am thankful for.

12389618695_62c86009ef_b.jpg

12389765893_02a26f2cff_b.jpg

Now this was a pretty big listening room. One side of the room had the Marten Supreme II setup. The other side of the room had the large Acapella horn speakers, the Kuzma Stabi XL with 2 Airline arms (Koetsu stone body and a Transfiguration Orpheus), Ypsilon phono, EAR 912 (yes a second one), Triode monoblocks, all Nordost Odin wiring through the whole system, HRS racks. Sorry Joe Kubala...didn't mean to cut you off in the picture!

12389758423_e851d6ab47_b.jpg

The owner also owns 2 pairs of Marten Design Momentos, Marten Coltrane II and Wilson Alexandria X2 Series 2. He is QUITE the enthusiast!

SO HOW DID THE MARTEN SUPREME II's SOUND?

They sounded excellent when we started listening. After tweaking them, everyone agreed that the system sounded significantly better from where we started. We played with some room tuning, component vibration control, speaker positioning etc. Made all the difference in the world. The spiking of the speakers removed a bass standing wave that was present before. This was easily the best system I heard in my life at this point...this massive system just disappeared.

Pitch perfect, realistic scale, perfect instrument body, tonality and size portrayal. Zero distortion at ANY listening level. No timing issues...no phase issues, warmth when needed, musically blissful, most realistic rendering of an orchestra I've ever heard. Never, ever have I found a system that does almost perfect levels of "rightness". There is always something to critique that a system can do better...not with this one somehow. It CAN use a little bit more depth (which I was getting in the CES 2014 setup). That depth can be gotten by pulling out the speakers more into the room, but instead of 100%, we were getting probably 90%?

This really is just a dream speaker and I'm happy there are people who can make something like this happen. I am more grateful that I got a chance to participate in setting something like this up and listening to it.

Last edited:
Wow....thank you for those delicious pictures. I would love to be able to hear these speakers being a big fan of Marten Design. However, I can't imagine them in the small listening area that I use nowadays. In fact, this is the reason I have been on and off with parting with my Django XL speakers. They do so much at a fraction of the price, particularly when one considers them at used values. However, I am not pushing anything as I really love the house Marten sound.
I must say I also have always wanted to try the Kubala Sosna cables. Currently, though, I am enjoying the synergy with the Sunny Cable Technology Supreme SP5000 cables...

Staxxx, I agree, there is something about the house Marten Design sound. I just use Kubala Sosna Emotion interconnects and speaker cable. I am VERY VERY happy with them. I might be trying out the Kubala Sosna Elations soon which I have had good experiences with in a friends system.

Normally, the cable of choice with Marten Design is Jorma cables. However, the Jorma Prime I can't afford and the Jorma Origo sound is not the direction I want my system to go in. Though, Jorma Prime and Jorma Origo play very well together when used judiciously in a system. I never knew about Sunny Cable Technology Supreme SP5000. Must be great because I really like the Marten Django speakers!

How do the Harbeth SLH5 compare with the Marten Djangos? I'd like to own some Harbeth speakers someday in another setup :) I have a dream to setup an all Shindo and all Jadis system...I would try those electronics with Harbeths. Someday :)

Last edited:
Wow... enjoyed going back to beginning of the thread, learning about these speakers, the brand, reading a couple of reviews...

Whilst these are expensive speakers, one reviewer's point of view is that you could pay even more (even many times) but why would you? That reviewer says that he has never experienced such a disappearing act from a pair of speakers. Even the smallest sibling gets a fabulous review, too.

Birds sing, eh?

(Curious trivia: In English, a Martin is a kind of bird, but a Marten is a cat like animal!)

~

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back