MARTIN LOGAN Speakers huge problems

I am using Cadence Amayas for the last 5 years, no problem with
them. No air conditioning, only keep the panels covered.

Martin Logans are prone to humidity.

I don't know if a drastic heart surgery will work but suggesting anyways - assuming (yes, I don't know much about the MLs) that Cadence and MLs use the same kind of electrostatic panels, Cadence factory in Pune may be equipped to replace the ML electrostats.

I have a seriously old Amaya and got the electrostatic panels replaced some months back (and repair of the crossovers and one electrodynamic bass driver). Prior to replacing, Mumbai's humidity was too much to bear. The new panels are supposed to be mostly immune to moisture. Dust could still be an issue though.
Joshua

our (cadence speaker owners') experience in delhi has been quite contrary. we are a mix of old and new ES panel material, the older being the aluminum based and the newer being the indium oxide coated teflon (Fraunhofer Instt.) (incidentally, the ML ES also use the similar material from the same source). another new foil owner and i (also new foil) had a lot of challenges all through these monsoons that were exceptionally heavy leading to a lot of humidity indoors. could not enjoy music for close to two months!! :annoyed:

the panels would just crackle or o/p very low DBs.

my 'solution' was a round of sunning, (car) vacuuming of the panels and the AC sucking out the room humidity/moisture to do the trick, since cadence had no suggestion and/or solution other than to send the panels back and get them re-foiled as a last resort. my friend, not being so adventurous, still is facing issues. we also took our (disconnected) panels to another old foil owner. his ES panels were working as magically as ever, monsoons, humidity notwithstanding. our panels on his connectors would not budge either (leaving out the possibility that the xOver, connectors, power, etc., in our speakers were the issue).

as a matter of fact, there is an FAQ on the ML site on ES maintenance. has a lot of valuable inputs, though some are quite atrocious.

i suggest one covers the panels with a material that keeps the humidity out (so cloth MAY not be a correct suggestion for this as it absorbs moisture and would render the area around the panels dank).

also, i can't agree to the 'immune to moisture' bit with the new foils, though that was the original claim.

I have ML electrostatics since Q3-2008, they need to be vacuumed regularly and also always kept covered -- use them then cover them instantly after shut down. run them through stabilizers

Hi,

I plan to purchase a pair of Martin Logan Motion 10 fronts (from the US) for my apartment home in India. Has anyone faced any issues with these speakers in India?

Thanks.

Hi,

I plan to purchase a pair of Martin Logan Motion 10 fronts (from the US) for my apartment home in India. Has anyone faced any issues with these speakers in India?

Thanks.

Read up this thread fully for potential maintenance tips for electrostatic speakers.

I would also second the suggestion to build sort of dust covers for the speakers and cover them when not in use.

I used to own a pair and sold it a while ago since I moved to a smaller apt. and have ended up with ribbon based bookshelves for my 2 channel system.

The Motion 10s use regular drivers and do not have any of the issues discussed in this thread.

Cheers

they sounded GREAT for a few months about 8 or so.
thereafter I found that one channel was beginning to get softer and hazy. soon both channels dropped in high frequency.the bass became dominant.

Hi,

I unpacked my old ML speakers in mumbai recently and has a similar issue as yours. However, I see one difference that when I switch off and on the power supply, the speakers sound fine for 3-4 minutes before losing the treble and mid range (basically the ESL panel stops functioning).

Did you have the same issue too or was it sounding dull and boomy even as soon as the power to the speaker is turned on ?

Did you find any solution to your problems in the end ?

thanks,
Dovin

We continue to sell Martin Logan ESLs from the electro motion to the Montis and above and till date we have not had any technical problems what so ever! THe support and service of ML's by Kripa Electronics the main ML distributors are fantastic and they always stand by the products they sell.

We continue to sell Martin Logan ESLs from the electro motion to the Montis and above and till date we have not had any technical problems what so ever! THe support and service of ML's by Kripa Electronics the main ML distributors are fantastic and they always stand by the products they sell.

My wife and I have short listed Martin Logan Electro Motions (ESL Fronts, C2 Center and 4 FX2 for the rear) for our living room system. Our room is 27' x 12' (the speakers would be kept along the 12' dimension) but it opens up to another space (dining area) along one of the 27' long walls that is 20' x 10'.

Can the EM drive a medium sized room like ours to 'Home Theater' levels?
What care do the ESLs need in a climate like Mumbai especially if you are say within 200m of the sea?

Other commercial speakers on our list are Focal Chorus 800 and Monitor Audio RX. How would the ESL's bass compare with say the multiple 7" woofers in the Chorus 836 or RX8.

For the subwoofer we are considering using the Rythmik FV15 subwoofer shown below
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/22579-finally-arrived-rythmik-ds1510-direct-servo-sub-kit.html

Last edited:
I am using a Martin Logan speaker setup in Chennai. I live within 200 meters from the sea. Not faced a single issue. It is a dedicated theatre room though.

I used Martin Logan ESLs for a few years in Pune. They were not in an AC room. All I did by way of maintenance was to vacuum them every 2 months. Never faced an issue

I have had cadence arista for over 4 years, no issues. Now with ARCA. Wish me luck.

With arista (and now arca) I diligently kept/keep it covered when not in use. I guess it is an important Factor... Especially when one looks at the dust we clean up around amps/players...its unfathomable, that a electrostat would survive that kind of abuse over years.

I keep reading about vacuum... I kind of dread doing that...any tip on how to do it..? What, strength are we talking about... Are we talking suction or blower

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back