Mass DVD/CD player vs dedicated CD players such as mmarantz, Ca

Nice and simple explanation. Great, thanks much. Hmm - It does make a difference then to go for a dedicated CD player and feed the digital out to the external DAC.

It is not like taking any dedicated cd player with digital out and expect night and day differences. You need to get good transport like VRDS.

On other note we (me & crisp) agreed on the point that his Sony Bluray player (pardon me I forgot the model)played marginally better than an old Philips DVDP of mine. Philips were a bit bright on entire audio spectrum.

Not that this is the only pair I have compared but the point is even from two non-dedicated CD transports we get to hear different sound.

venkatcr- "Now before people jump on me, please search and read a technical document I have written somewhere on HifiVision on this"

Will you please give the link of your Technical Documents? I am very much interested, searching but not found yet.

Why not buy yourself a nice WD hard disk based media player? It will play all sorts of audio and video files, supports external HDD through USB connection without the need for a computer, and the analog audio out beats the analog out of a Marantz CD6004. At least that's how it sounds to my ears and that of a friend's ear who owns these two devices. If you already have CDs, no problemo - just rip them to wav and store and play them on the WD.

Why not buy yourself a nice WD hard disk based media player? It will play all sorts of audio and video files, supports external HDD through USB connection without the need for a computer, and the analog audio out beats the analog out of a Marantz CD6004. At least that's how it sounds to my ears and that of a friend's ear who owns these two devices. If you already have CDs, no problemo - just rip them to wav and store and play them on the WD.

analog out of WD Media player > analog out of Marantz CD 6004 ??

DAC of WD Media Player > DAC of Marantz CD 6004 ?

I doubt it. but anyways, if you find it good, enjoy :), I am unable to believe this though...

venkatcr- "Now before people jump on me, please search and read a technical document I have written somewhere on HifiVision on this"

Will you please give the link of your Technical Documents? I am very much interested, searching but not found yet.

That was a long time ago. Let me search and see. Otherwise I have have what I wrote as a Doc file in my laptop. Let me see if I can access that.

Cheers

It is not like taking any dedicated cd player with digital out and expect night and day differences. You need to get good transport like VRDS.

We are not looking for a system at that cost. Please remember, I made it clear that comparisons are only between two products. Yes, a VRDS will be better than a dedicated Marantz CD player. BUT, the same Marantz CD player will certainly make a audible difference when compared to a mass market DVD player such as Samsung. That is what we are comparing here.

Cheers

analog out of WD Media player > analog out of Marantz CD 6004 ??

DAC of WD Media Player > DAC of Marantz CD 6004 ?

I doubt it. but anyways, if you find it good, enjoy :), I am unable to believe this though...

Yes, it goes against the ingrained wisdom of this and other forums. Had I not heard it with my own ears, it would take some convincing to make me believe it. We have been ingrained to believe that dedicated CD players are better than do-it-all DVD players, or media players, or universal disc spinners a.k.a BDPs. All I am saying is there are exceptions to the rule.

Caveat emptor: WD hard disk media player is a headless player and needs a TV to be able to navigate it. But then this is not a disadvantage as it is a multimedia player that also plays videos. This advice is given in good faith. YMMV, etc.

Last edited:
Which specific media player (model) that you heard is being referred here jls?

I will ask my friend.

Edit: I asked. Its formal name is "WD TV Live Hub Media Center".

Last edited:
We are not looking for a system at that cost. Please remember, I made it clear that comparisons are only between two products. Yes, a VRDS will be better than a dedicated Marantz CD player. BUT, the same Marantz CD player will certainly make a audible difference when compared to a mass market DVD player such as Samsung. That is what we are comparing here.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

That was exactly my point if you see the 3rd paragraph. Transport does matters. Even BDP and DVDP sounded different when we used them as transport :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back