Matching Amp for Aviano 6 - CA 640A or CA 650A ???

Rahul

Hey guys,

I have recently bought the Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 speakers. Now I am looking for a amp to match the speakers. My 2 shortlisted amps are: CA 640A (priced at 22.5k) and CA 650A (priced at 30k).

The CA650A is obviously the newer of the two amp so I was leaning towards it. However the dealer suggested to me that there is not too much of difference in music quality (perhaps 5%) between the 2 amps but the price difference is 7.5k, so either of the amp would be fine.

Now that has left me in slight confusion on which amp to buy. This is going to be my 1st hi-fi system and as of now I don't intend to change the setup for the next 3-4 years.

Let me know what u guys think. Thanks.

Hi:

Congrats on getting the Aviano, nice speakers. Now, the 640 is out and done amp, but it's a great budget amp, very musical indeed. I have 640 for the past one year, and am kind of happy with it, but itching to change the amp for a more refined one for my speakers. But, all in all, a very good amp.

Now, coming to 650, yes it's a brand new entry and a 5 star one too. I've never heard the 650, but reviews tell me it might have the same sound signature of the 640 and a 'little' more in overall musicality, and that's all about it. Yes, a brand new outlook too, and i like it.

If i was in your shoes, and if i have that budget for getting the 650, yes, I will surely buy the 650 considering you're going to keep it for a long time.

1. Have you auditioned both side by side with your speakers?
2. Are you able to justify the price difference ?

I think you will be the best judge for a crunch situation like this.

:)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back