Matching CD player to receiver

arvi

Hi.

First-time poster!

Other than the aesthetics, are there any other advantages to getting a CD player from the same manufacturer as the receiver?

I have a Denon AVR 2309. ProFX, unfortunately does not have any CD players other than Denon that one can audition the receiver with.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, arvi.

Its all upto your ears only. There is no fixed rule in the world of audio. Yes, the pairing of various CD Players with any given receiver produces variations. Which one of them you prefer is upto you.

I know Profx does not stock anything other than Denon. But I believe you can do better with respect to CD players. A Marantz would be what I would recommend for a detailed, sweet and at the same time energetic player. A NAD CD Player is a warm option, if you feel the need for it.

Other than the aesthetics, are there any other advantages to getting a CD player from the same manufacturer as the receiver?

Not particularly with an avr. But if it were a cdp/amp combo, i prefer them to be from the same stable as much as possible and this has yielded me good results most of the time.

With an entry level avr, you are good to go with a dvd player instead for the time being. I have been using denons 1920 and this machine plays CDs really well. Later, if ever you decide to have a dedicated stereo setup, get yourself a 2 channel amp and cd player. You can integrate it with your avr and use the same front speakers as well.

Cheers.

@thevortex/@unleash_me: thanks.

@unleash_me: any suggestions for good options/brands for a dedicated stereo amp/cd-player combination? From reading the forums, Marantz, NAD and Cambridge-Audio seem to be recommended often. I don't have any SACD discs or DVD-Audio discs, just regular CDs. I'm currently using my dvd player to play my audio cds thru my AVR.

...any suggestions for good options/brands for a dedicated stereo amp/cd-player combination? From reading the forums, Marantz, NAD and Cambridge-Audio seem to be recommended often. I don't have any SACD discs or DVD-Audio discs, just regular CDs. I'm currently using my dvd player to play my audio cds thru my AVR.

That would depend on your budget and listening preferences.

These are few good places to start -

http://www.hifivision.com/cd-players/5292-best-cdp-under-20-25-k.html
http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/5189-amplifier-dilemma.html
http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/3200-amp-upgrade-canton-speakers-feasibility-study.html

You are right, the usuals are the ones listed by you. Apart from that, there is a combo that i really liked but not very popular in this forum, its the Pioneer PD-D6/A6 & D9/A9. ime this combo was beautiful and gave a stress free long listening experience. Consider the SACD playback as an added bonus. :) Recently they released the Mk2 version. I'm yet to hear them. Check with ProAudiotronics in Infantry Rd. for audition, availability and price.

pioneer_pdd9mk2k.jpg

Happy hunting.

I have read a lot about the Pioneer PD-D9 CD/SACD Player.Is it available in India?? Mumbai??

Regards,

Francis

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back