Material to cover speakers

argentum246

Hello Friends,
Would like to know the solutions you have adopted to cover your costly speakers. I am concerned about dust and moisture and also insects and physical damages our speakers have to withstand everyday esp when not in use. I am think of using a felt cloth or cotton covers custom stitched to cover them. Let me know pros or cons and any other recommendations you have that not only makes you speaker look good but also helps in heat dissipation without affecting sound quality. I am planning to keep the front of speakers easily open able via a zip flap while covering the rest of the body.

Thanks in advance.

I have never closed my speakers. I think closing them will actually increase chances of getting moist, hence growing fungus. Fungus grows in dark.
I take out driver covers and clean the drivers softly with dry clothes. Done.

Hello Friends,
Would like to know the solutions you have adopted to cover your costly speakers. I am concerned about dust and moisture and also insects and physical damages our speakers have to withstand everyday esp when not in use. I am think of using a felt cloth or cotton covers custom stitched to cover them. Let me know pros or cons and any other recommendations you have that not only makes you speaker look good but also helps in heat dissipation without affecting sound quality. I am planning to keep the front of speakers easily open able via a zip flap while covering the rest of the body.

Thanks in advance.

It all depends on climate / weather conditions in the location you have your setup based in...also depends on what material are the speakers made of....

A simple Google search will help in providing the best ideas...the user manual of these speakers will also recommend on their maintenance etc....you need to factor all points and carry out accordingly

Nice question, me too always worried about my speakers to get dusty and dirty specially in summers. Like audioengine always provide some kind of bag made of very soft cloth for the gears they sell. For me I generally put a decorative soft cotton cloth over the speakers (remove while listening), however don't cover it completely like they are in a bag. Drivers of well known brands generally are of good quality and they generally don't affect by home conditions unless you pour water on them. Front grill also helps a little to keep the dust away. You can clean the drivers using a very-very soft brush, or a dry microfiber cloth with a soft pressure of your hand. Use it periodically , say every month because fresh dust can be easily removable but once it sticks tight leaves a mark forever.
I never tried air pressure can (like foooit) on drivers. But seen a video on YT the guy using air pressure can on his speaker's driver. This might be a best way to clean them , want to try on some spare speakers to see the effect.
Year back a mouse went inside my Polk speaker through the bass port, I had to remove the driver to check if she made a family inside. Thank fully everything's was perfect.

Have been using stitched covers of transparent plastic sheet for over 20 years now.....no fungus and speakers look like they've just been delivered to me yesterday.

Dust is a big menace.... despite keeping them well covered, every few months there is a fine film of dust on the baffles and drivers, which I wipe with a fine cloth.

Trust this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks @Sumanta @efernand1 @dinesh1201 @Soundstage. I have Polk towers and i have a simple table napkin kept of their head. However few days back when i opened the front grill , I saw quite a bit of dust and it was bit hard to completely clean the dust built up on the drivers / diaphragm with microfiber cloth. If I use plastic then - though it would protect from dust but would it not cause moisture and heat to be trapped inside ?
Another option is to get a cover stitched with heavy cloth (ones used to stitch covers of our quilt). I live a 16th floor and hence it is bit windy. But i am looking for a long term solution for all the audio gears including projector, that would also help in preventing physical damage with kid playing around. Let me know if someone had experimented with felt cloth as it looks perfect to do this job.

Thanks @Sumanta @efernand1 @dinesh1201 @Soundstage. I have Polk towers and i have a simple table napkin kept of their head. However few days back when i opened the front grill , I saw quite a bit of dust and it was bit hard to completely clean the dust built up on the drivers / diaphragm with microfiber cloth. If I use plastic then - though it would protect from dust but would it not cause moisture and heat to be trapped inside ?
Another option is to get a cover stitched with heavy cloth (ones used to stitch covers of our quilt). I live a 16th floor and hence it is bit windy. But i am looking for a long term solution for all the audio gears including projector, that would also help in preventing physical damage with kid playing around. Let me know if someone had experimented with felt cloth as it looks perfect to do this job.

The dampness comes from the humidity in the atmosphere......drivers don't ooze it in any manner, so by covering speakers with a water resistant plastic sheet you would only be preventing the speakers from coming into contact with the moisture outside.

Cloth breathes, so cloth covers would not be fully dust resistant.

If it's any solace, my HT speakers Paradigm Studio 100s have been wearing their plastic covers for 14 years, and since I rarely watch HT, I've been removing the covers once in maybe 2-3 months, when I play some music to give them a little workout and take off the grill to clean the drivers. I've never seen any hint of fungus.

Nice question, me too always worried about my speakers to get dusty and dirty specially in summers. Like audioengine always provide some kind of bag made of very soft cloth for the gears they sell. For me I generally put a decorative soft cotton cloth over the speakers (remove while listening), however don't cover it completely like they are in a bag.

never tried air pressure can (like foooit) on drivers. But seen a video on YT the guy using air pressure can on his speaker's driver. This might be a best way to clean them , want to try on some spare speakers to see the effect.

Martin Logan provide a cover made of some dust proof cloth like material and recommend lightly vacuuming their electrostatic panels, if it's any help......

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back