Measure bare room or furnished room?

k-pad

Hi all, posting here cos am running against time. Kindly accept my apologies.
My question is not really about what to buy, but about what to do first.
I want to know from FMs what to do:
1. I have a bare room.
2. My system is 3.1 powered by an avr.

My questions (i have around 30-40 days)
1. I measure bare room? And place system later?
2. Move in and put furniture and measure room.

Which works better in your experience?

Usually one will decide room layout and choose the wall where speakers can be installed. Furniture will be like damping material in that room. If you have already set mind for furniture placement, then measure room(or Frequency response) later.

It will be interesting to get an perspective of how they measure on a bare room. You can use this as a reference to add / subtract furniture and fixtures from your room to arrive at the tonal balance. Grab this opportunity and get it measured. Nothing to loose here btw.

It will be interesting to get an perspective of how they measure on a bare room. You can use this as a reference to add / subtract furniture and fixtures from your room to arrive at the tonal balance. Grab this opportunity and get it measured. Nothing to loose here btw.
Makes sense.
Thank you. :)

1. I have a bare room.

You need to measure both if you can. That will give you the data to compare before and after. That said, measuring a furnished room is paramount to a good listening experience. Measuring a bare room is just to appreciate the effort put in by the room correction component.

MaSh

Wow ! Measuring a bare room to get idea of what furniture to add or reduce ! Are shops selling furniture with acoustic measurements these days ?
Enlightening thread for sure !

Wow ! Measuring a bare room to get idea of what furniture to add or reduce ! Are shops selling furniture with acoustic measurements these days ?
Enlightening thread for sure !
No, a bare room is not measured to pick furniture for a house. However, a bare room is definitely measured by a sound engineer building a Studio.

In a residence though, items such as carpets, curtains, sofas, etc act as absorbents and help with the echo.

MaSh

No, a bare room is not measured to pick furniture for a house. However, a bare room is definitely measured by a sound engineer building a Studio.

In a residence though, items such as carpets, curtains, sofas, etc act as absorbents and help with the echo.

MaSh
@MaSh - I’m aware and what you say makes sense. I was referring to FM Hari Iyer’s suggestion on the thread , I should have quoted it , my bad.

Taking measurements in a bare room is a good way to start to know how things improve after you add day to day furniture.

Here is a decent video on how to improve things, while we cannot do everything in our apartments but slight improvements can be done.

When I treated my room slightly, I did not have the measurement mic. But now I do have.
I have the flexibility of removing the absorption panels and rugs, I will try to measure the room with and without the slight treatment I have done over the weekend.

1. I have a bare room.

Room correction measurements are always meant to be taken in a state that the room would actually be in during usage.

Also A bare room will almost always measure worse than a room with furniture - not sure what purpose, if any , taking measurements now will achieve.

Back