media player / portable headphone amp / headphone

harsh247

hi guys
need some help asap
i am planning to buy the audio technica ath ad700.
the head phone dac will either be the fiio e07k or the e11 depending on the media player.

so i am now looking for an inexpensive media player which is flac compatible. the cowon 120 gb isnt available anywhere. also sd card expandable would be great. what are my other options?
also will the selected amps be able to drive the headphone?
i can go in for another headphone but of a lower range.

i need to sort this out as soon as possible.

just to clarify, i am open to other models. my budget is about 20k

harsh247 said:
i am planning to buy the audio technica ath ad700.

When buying, be aware that the new models have an "X" at the end. If you are buying one without an X it must be the old model. There is not necessarily anything wrong with that --- unless you are asked to pay full price!

I have the AD900. Just a little more detail, or "Air" than the 700 (I felt when I auditioned them). Still felt the 700 to be very good: should make you happy.

The big pads and fit takes a little getting used to, and working out how to wear it just right. When you do, they are so light and comfortable that you can forget you are wearing them. But I would not recommend them for portable use. They are just too big, and, nothing wrong with the build, but I don't think it is chuck-in-a-case build.

No reason not to plug these headphones straight in. But, as I discovered when I plugged them into my hifi amp, a good amp should bring out more.

If you're not in a rush, would suggest you wait till December for the Fiio X5 to released (i'm waiting for that). Otherwise X3 as suggested by vkalia is a very good option - will work to just slightly more expensive than a Sansa clip+ (which you will have to Rockbox) + E07K, and will be far more convenient being 1-piece and all. Oh and the X3 has a very powerful amp - drives even HD650s to ear-bleeding levels apparently!

Last edited:
My only concern with the x3 is that then I can't use my phone for music or some other source. I was hoping to buy it this week. Secondly what other headphone considerations? But lower budget.?

Not from any experience. There is a "group review" somewhere of the model range which would be useful to a potential buyer. I don't know if I can easily find it, but if I do I'll post the link. EDIT: this one at headphonia Doesn't mention the 500, but might still be useful reading.

My story is that I was prepared, on recommendation here, to buy the AD700. There was a very good deal on Amazon ...but I was going to Singapore, where it was very easy to get ears-on experience. The 700 was good, but I felt I could hear the advantages of the 900, and, want-it-now set in, I forgot all about Amazon bargains and bought at a higher price there and then.

Another thing I don't know... How much have the new ADn00Xs been improved over the previous range? There are always potential old-range bargains to be had when a new range comes out.

Last edited:
Not from any experience. There is a "group review" somewhere of the model range which would be useful to a potential buyer. I don't know if I can easily find it, but if I do I'll post the link. EDIT: this one at headphonia Doesn't mention the 500, but might still be useful reading.

My story is that I was prepared, on recommendation here, to buy the AD700. There was a very good deal on Amazon ...but I was going to Singapore, where it was very easy to get ears-on experience. The 700 was good, but I felt I could hear the advantages of the 900, and, want-it-now set in, I forgot all about Amazon bargains and bought at a higher price there and then.

Another thing I don't know... How much have the new ADn00Xs been improved over the previous range? There are always potential old-range bargains to be had when a new range comes out.

yeah the ad700 was for 100$ on amazon... i missed that opportunity! well i dont mind old models. specially as far as headphones is concerned. its the quality thats important here. i've decided to buy the fiio x3.
still looking at headphones. the ad700 x3 combo is way above my budget.

Did you consider the Ibasso DX50? I belive its selling for 239$ right now. This seems to be slightly better in terms of SQ when compared to X3 but for me the USP is the touch screen using which its relatively easier to navigate the HUGE library made possible by the 64gb card support. And yea, with these 2 players, you may not want the amplifier after-all. But again this varies from model to model and the synergy of the source and head-phones itself. You may want to make sure the player you zero in on does work well with the headphones of your choice.

Coming to the cheaper head-phones part, take a look at SR80i, SR60, Shure (dont remember the model #).

Back