Media Player Suggestion

singaravel25

I'm planning to buy a media player. I'm not fully aware of the players available in market so please advise the best player in market w.r.t.o features. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Re: Media Player Comparison

Hi mate,

You may want to search the forum, there have been extensive review and comparison on various MPs like Xtreamer, WDTV, etc.

Again, every MP has its own plus and minus. You may have to base your decision upon your need and what you expect from them and the other factors such HD audio, userinterface, internet radio, firmware support, fan noise, internal HDD option, NAS and wireless features, looks, warranty, price, etc.

Cheers!

I think it would be a good idea if mods could delete such threads. There are literally thousands of these, cluttering the forums.

Patience guys, patience.

Singaravel, some of the first few things we need before giving any advice is to get from you the following:

1. Room set up, size, etc.
2. Current set up
3. Budget
4. Interested in 1080P or not

If you have some familiarity with computers and are ready to spend close to 30K, I would suggest you just put together an HTPC. It beats all media players I have seen by a mile or more, and I have seen them all. You can get a media player, a Blu-Ray player, a DVD Player and umpteen other features all put into one box.

Cheers

All -
Please provide comparisons of the best media player available in the market.

Here is the most exhaustive comparison of all the media players available anywhere, with ratings, reviews, feature lists, et al!!

If you have some familiarity with computers and are ready to spend close to 30K, I would suggest you just put together an HTPC. It beats all media players I have seen by a mile or more, and I have seen them all. You can get a media player, a Blu-Ray player, a DVD Player and umpteen other features all put into one box.

Cheers

Venkat, why does one need to 'build' an HTPC when there are readymade 'nettops' available in India for much less than 30000, and they come with warranty and service? They even have a small form factor and will fit in much better into the living room space.

The Acer Revo, Zotag Mag and Dell Zino are available in India at around 12-17k. Again, they can play any format, their interfaces are infinitely customisable and can be used just like a computer (though not obviously as fast) to play full HD movies, browse the net and you can even play games on your big screen TV!

The Dell Zino even comes with a slot for a DVD/Bluray Drive.

revo3610B.jpgzotagmagB.jpgzino400B.jpg

Most of these run on the Atom Ion processor. Reviews suggest glitch free-full HD playback, but high-end games and too much of multitasking can be too much for them.

But I think these are better than building your own HTPC which is much more expensive, has no warranty and requires a much higher degree of user expertise.

Correct me if I am wrong.:)

Last edited:
Back