Metal spikes or rubber feet for Speaker Stand and Speaker on marble floor?

swamytk

I am planning to use my Wharfedale Diamond 220 on a Speaker stand. The floor is hard (marble). The speaker comes with rubber feet (shown below). The speaker stand comes with metal Spikes. This speaker is bottom ported and there is a plinth at bottom for better bass. Now I need your valuable suggestion on right usage of spike/rubber-feet for both Stand and Speaker.

If you're liking it with the spikes, then that's the best fit. Spikes are meant to decouple and give a better audio, but can damage tiled floors without carpets underneath. You can place a small mat under each stand to avoid this.
Rubber feet that come with the speakers are designed to support its weight alone and can be used if speakers are placed on a cabinet. In your case you needn't affix them.

Rubber feet that come with the speakers are designed to support its weight alone and can be used if speakers are placed on a cabinet. In your case you needn't affix them.
Thanks, @sandeepss . Does speaker with rubber feet on stand hurt sound quality? having rubber feet gives speaker some grip on stand so that it reduces chances of speaker falling down. Will it hurt SQ?

Thanks, @sandeepss . Does speaker with rubber feet on stand hurt sound quality? having rubber feet gives speaker some grip on stand so that it reduces chances of speaker falling down. Will it hurt SQ?
Theoretically it should sound better with the feet, but in practice you need to test it out and see if your're liking the sound. If you have pets or kids who can topple the monitors from the stands, the feet can give more grip. Use 3 feet instead of 4.

Theoretically it should sound better with the feet, but in practice you need to test it out and see if your're liking the sound. If you have pets or kids who can topple the monitors from the stands, the feet can give more grip. Use 3 feet instead of 4.
Hi... I have a small doubt here. What is the logic behind 3 feet instead of 4.

If you need to move them, use spike feet. Soundfoundations has some.

If not, even coins will do the job. Euro one cent coins under spikes are said to help with the sound.
I had steel stands built for me and used SS bolts with rounded bottom ends instead of spikes screwed into the bottom plate.
Can move easily on marble floor

2.jpg 1.jpg

Soundfoundations doesn't have them they are out. I emailed them a couple of days back. I'm also looking for spike feet for my lintons.

Use the rubber feet to move the speakers around. Follow some rule like the 1/3 rule in fm prem's thread, then manipulate to figure what works best in your room, using your ears. After that, you can mark the position and remove the rubber feet and have spikes on the floor. Rubber feet will dampen the sound

At the end I use rubber feet that came along with Speakers and Steel Spikes that came with Stands. It looks good. Speaker sits firm on stand. I don't feel any difference between this setup and other suggestions here - my ears are not that sharp it looks like :) Thanks to everyone.

At the end I use rubber feet that came along with Speakers and Steel Spikes that came with Stands. It looks good. Speaker sits firm on stand. I don't feel any difference between this setup and other suggestions here - my ears are not that sharp it looks like :) Thanks to everyone.
Good that you are enjoying your new setup. If possible do post some pictures of your setup. All the best.

Good that you are enjoying your new setup. If possible do post some pictures of your setup. All the best.
I am just waiting for replacement Nexus stand to arrive. Once done with setup I will post pictures - me too eager to share :)

I read somewhere in this forum that even we can use carrom pawns for decoupling.
possibly, idea is to isolate the speaker from floor. Spikes works for carpeted floor. I use spikes and the coin thing below it. I retain spikes only because my speaker sounds better at that height. There is no 1 solution for all. With some speakers spikes works. Some the rubber feet. We have to see what works in our room.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back