Metrum Octave DAC

vijwilso

Last Sunday , i had a chance to play this DAC in my system ( Thanks to hifiPal4All ) and WoW ! i was blown away with the overall improvement in Sonics . The DAC upgrade is a long pending one for me , while i like this dac very much , would like to hear from the esteemed FMs on other options available at this price range and any comparison done with this DAC .

The improvements in my system ( & in my room ) were
-> All of a sudden the setup becomes more dynamic
-> Separation was really great with the 3D sound stage, i never thought my current speakers are capable of it .
-> Very Smooth, unforced musical flow , but at the same time very dynamic. When the music demands it , this DAC brings it out.
-> The complex part of the music never loose its composure . With other less expensive DACs, it gets confused and congested .
-> Very fast and rhythmic
-> Bass improved a lot and very fast/quick
-> Both Audiophile and non-audiophile tracks were enjoyable . For the first time , i liked the recent movie tracks ( many i never played before completely ) in this system .

Sweet! This is a very very nice dac for the price. If you like metrum, you should listen to an AMR. You will like it for sure. Very similar signature just more refined.

Go for mk2 would be my suggestion

1 piece unit and it has latest USB standard if USB is a must for you

What is your current DAC?
If you are upgrading from really low end DAC, any DAC in the price range will sound far better.

Sweet! This is a very very nice dac for the price. If you like metrum, you should listen to an AMR. You will like it for sure. Very similar signature just more refined.
Should be , reviews point this is as an upgrade from metrum, but AMR DP777 is in a different price segment . Is there anything Within a Lakh available from AMR ?

What is your current DAC?
If you are upgrading from really low end DAC, any DAC in the price range will sound far better.
Current is Meridian Explorer USB DAC . Earlier i was using entry level Audio GD , and also tried with CD players in the price range 50-70K , so far this is the better source.

for Octave Mk2 , it is little more than $USD 1000

Then I feel mk2 makes sense because this can be a long term investment for you

It can easily keep up with few speaker or amp upgrades IMO

Should be , reviews point this is as an upgrade from metrum, but AMR DP777 is in a different price segment . Is there anything Within a Lakh available from AMR ?

In the lower end, you only have the iFi equipment. I think this metrum will probably beat iFi but can't be sure.

As for the AMR, if you pick it up from SG, there are some good deals to be had. I paid far less than the US MSRP for mine even after paying customs, fedex priority shipping, insurance etc.

Have owned a lite dac-83 in the past - please stay away. It is definitely not great in the stock form. Never heard the tranquility DAC.

Red Wine should be really good - have heard their amps and they are fantastic. I'm sure it'll be the same with their DACs. However you'll only get these used as red wine audio is no more.

Last edited:
As for the AMR, if you pick it up from SG, there are some good deals to be had. I paid far less than the US MSRP for mine even after paying customs, fedex priority shipping, insurance etc.

Hi ROC,
Guess Audio Note is the only dealer for AMR in SG. I enquired with them and they have stopped stocking this model and do not intend to do so in future.

Regards

Hi ROC,
Guess Audio Note is the only dealer for AMR in SG. I enquired with them and they have stopped stocking this model and do not intend to do so in future.

Regards

The replacement is in the horizon for a while - the DP-777SE. It is supposed to be released very soon. The old one isn't manufactured anymore.

-> Very Smooth, unforced musical flow , but at the same time very dynamic. When the music demands it , this DAC brings it out.

I have extensively heard the Octave at a friend's place, always fed via BNC and more recently with Audiophileo2...like you rightly observed...the music just flows...smooth, visceral and fluid...very very relaxed...absolutely no fatigue whatsoever...

I would recommend the octave wholeheartedly anyday...

Any first hand listening experience with Audio GD Master 7 or any of there dacs based on PCM 1704?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back