METZ OLED thread

Even though their source of the oled panels from LG or other big source. The picture processing is the one key area that'll make the huge difference from one brand to another.

It is the one that makes the flavor to the picture such as up scaling, details, color reproduction and etc. For example, Lg have the alpha processor and X1 ultimate processor on Sony and the list goes on.

Personally i prefer the picture processing of sony OLED rather than LG oled one. Some might prefers Panasonic though. :)

Even though their source of the oled panels from LG or other big source. The picture processing is the one key area that'll make the huge difference from one brand to another.

It is the one that makes the flavor to the picture such as up scaling, details, color reproduction and etc. For example, Lg have the alpha processor and X1 ultimate processor on Sony and the list goes on.

Personally i prefer the picture processing of sony OLED rather than LG oled one. Some might prefers Panasonic though. :)

Except the motion, picture was fantastic. Upscaling was good. Didn't see any artifacts because of it once sharpness was reduced. Colors were great. HDR looked fantastic.

Just that advance processing tools like dynamic tone mapping, calibration settings and custom motions settings weren't there.

Out of these, if they just get the motion to be good and sort the panel flashing, it's fantastic for the price.

Except the motion, picture was fantastic. Upscaling was good. Didn't see any artifacts because of it once sharpness was reduced. Colors were great. HDR looked fantastic.

Just that advance processing tools like dynamic tone mapping, calibration settings and custom motions settings weren't there.

Out of these, if they just get the motion to be good and sort the panel flashing, it's fantastic for the price.

And of course, separate HDR mode once HDR is detected. That's such a silly omission.

Hey! So just to update a comparison with LG C9, which was installed just a few hours ago. Then people can decide if the cost savings are worth it.

Build quality is similar. Uniformity also similar.

Motion is relatively superb on C9. I have de-judder set to 2 and de-blur to 0, which really helps in removing 24fps with minimal artifacts and soap opera effect. Works for me, and since it's custom, you set it to what you like.

Picture processing wise, LG C9 is much better. I have set DNR to off, MPEG NR to low and Smooth Gradation to Medium, which results in a better vieeing experience when watching compressed content. Again, you can choose what you want and what you don't. Overall, LG C9 is a joy to use compared to Metz.

Coming to HDR10 and Dolby Vision, Sabrina seems to be more or less the same apart from minor differences. Until and unless compared next to each other, both are impactful. However, the dark scenes of Godless were unfortunately darker than HDR 10, which can be tricky as a show with prominently dark scenes can be problematic. So I would prefer HDR 10 with good dynamic mapping, but can't turn it off on Netflix.

Also, C9 had black crush out of the box. I had to increase brightness to 54 for now. Panel settles in the first 50-60 hours, so I'll check again then. Black crush leads me to the chrominance overshoot problem. It's present in C9 too. After removing the black crush, it's evident in all the problematic scenes I had noted. So Metz, LG and even Sony are equal in this regard. Unfortunately, only Panasonic is free of this problem, and we can't get 2019 sets as of now. I hope they launch at competitive prices and don't pull out of Indian market.

Coming to sound, that's a win to Metz. LG C9 is better than most cheap TVs you'll get, but Metz had a lot more presence with DTS trusurround, even though C9 has good bass. Now C9 has AI sound, which is good but not as good. Dolby Atmos Surround in C9 is disappointing. So much for the big name. Turned it off. Auto volume control in LG didn't work as well as as Metz either. It would change the sound a few seconds after a song starts playing. No good. Turned it off and set equalizer to my liking.

So overall, my verdict remains the same. C9 is great, but suffers from inherent OLED problems. It does have better processing, which really helps in motion, which is the most important distinction, along with being used friendly. If Metz can provide even decent motion settings and increase user friendliness, it'll be a good buy with cost savings.

Hey! So just to update a comparison with LG C9, which was installed just a few hours ago. Then people can decide if the cost savings are worth it.

Build quality is similar. Uniformity also similar.

Motion is relatively superb on C9. I have de-judder set to 2 and de-blur to 0, which really helps in removing 24fps with minimal artifacts and soap opera effect. Works for me, and since it's custom, you set it to what you like.

Picture processing wise, LG C9 is much better. I have set DNR to off, MPEG NR to low and Smooth Gradation to Medium, which results in a better vieeing experience when watching compressed content. Again, you can choose what you want and what you don't. Overall, LG C9 is a joy to use compared to Metz.

Coming to HDR10 and Dolby Vision, Sabrina seems to be more or less the same apart from minor differences. Until and unless compared next to each other, both are impactful. However, the dark scenes of Godless were unfortunately darker than HDR 10, which can be tricky as a show with prominently dark scenes can be problematic. So I would prefer HDR 10 with good dynamic mapping, but can't turn it off on Netflix.

Also, C9 had black crush out of the box. I had to increase brightness to 54 for now. Panel settles in the first 50-60 hours, so I'll check again then. Black crush leads me to the chrominance overshoot problem. It's present in C9 too. After removing the black crush, it's evident in all the problematic scenes I had noted. So Metz, LG and even Sony are equal in this regard. Unfortunately, only Panasonic is free of this problem, and we can't get 2019 sets as of now. I hope they launch at competitive prices and don't pull out of Indian market.

Coming to sound, that's a win to Metz. LG C9 is better than most cheap TVs you'll get, but Metz had a lot more presence with DTS trusurround, even though C9 has good bass. Now C9 has AI sound, which is good but not as good. Dolby Atmos Surround in C9 is disappointing. So much for the big name. Turned it off. Auto volume control in LG didn't work as well as as Metz either. It would change the sound a few seconds after a song starts playing. No good. Turned it off and set equalizer to my liking.

So overall, my verdict remains the same. C9 is great, but suffers from inherent OLED problems. It does have better processing, which really helps in motion, which is the most important distinction, along with being used friendly. If Metz can provide even decent motion settings and increase user friendliness, it'll be a good buy with cost savings.
Do you get a hissing noise when its just a totally black screen as reported in some avforums?

Do you get a hissing noise when its just a totally black screen as reported in some avforums?

Not as of now. Still playing around with settings. Will update if it does happen. A C9 user's thread would be nice. I'll start one later.

Maybe it's the open box that I returned. Don't take a chance if it's not Amazon fulfilled.

Hey, great comparison and I think you failed to mention some of the H/W differences, the most important being presence of HDMI 2.1 on the LG and not on the Metz or any other TVs out in 2019.

Can you also share how much you paid for yours? I paid 2.45 after all discounts and cashback for my 65" LG C9 back just 45 days back.

Hey, great comparison and I think you failed to mention some of the H/W differences, the most important being presence of HDMI 2.1 on the LG and not on the Metz or any other TVs out in 2019.

Can you also share how much you paid for yours? I paid 2.45 after all discounts and cashback for my 65" LG C9 back just 45 days back.

Yes, but only because they haven't been used as of yet. No graphic card has HDMI 2.1 ports as of yet, but yes, I'm hoping next year I can utilize VRR too once I upgrade my graphic card to the latest ones. Can't wait to play Cyberpunk 2077 on 4k OLED glory!

I paid 126.5k after cashbacks, along with 2 year extended warranty on all parts from LG itself.. It's part of their diwali offers.

I paid 126.5k after cashbacks, along with 2 year extended warranty on all parts from LG itself.. It's part of their diwali offers.

That is a great price man. Congrats on the purchase and an glad you got rid of the METZ considering it just went for 60k in the Great India Sale a few days back.

IMO, the LG C9 is the best bang for buck OLED money can buy right now.

With regards to warranty, luckily I have an understanding with my dealer and he is going to invoice my purchase sometime this month before the offer is over so I will get the 3 year complete warranty as well.

Thought of checking with you, what did you get in the 2 year extended warranty as in the card? My dealer did not give me and they are checking with LG but whereas LG customer care says its the dealer who will give the warranty cards as they have been sent to them for the festive offers on all types of white goods like Refrigerators, Washing Machines, TVs etc., The dealer says that except for TVs he has got the extended warranty for other goods.

Thought of checking with you, what did you get in the 2 year extended warranty as in the card? My dealer did not give me and they are checking with LG but whereas LG customer care says its the dealer who will give the warranty cards as they have been sent to them for the festive offers on all types of white goods like Refrigerators, Washing Machines, TVs etc., The dealer says that except for TVs he has got the extended warranty for other goods.

I haven't gotten anything either as of yet. I had them write 3 years warranty offer on the sales order. I'll follow up on the weekend with them. I hope no hiccups happen for us.

I haven't gotten anything either as of yet. I had them write 3 years warranty offer on the sales order. I'll follow up on the weekend with them. I hope no hiccups happen for us.

Yes I spoke to my dealer who is actually very cooperative and also warned the LG guy that as per the offer if they (LG) or the dealer does not give me the extended warranty of 2 years in writing I will file a case. The dealer refused to put in the invoice for the extended warranty unlike in your case as this is from the LG directly and not from his dealership. Lets I will also try to follow-up with these guys next week and see where it goes. But seems to me that the LG in order to improve the sales suddenly providing the 2 years free extended warranty on the OLEDs this festive season even before they print the warranty cards, maybe they didn't expect the sales to sky rocket ;)

Yes I spoke to my dealer who is actually very cooperative and also warned the LG guy that as per the offer if they (LG) or the dealer does not give me the extended warranty of 2 years in writing I will file a case. The dealer refused to put in the invoice for the extended warranty unlike in your case as this is from the LG directly and not from his dealership. Lets I will also try to follow-up with these guys next week and see where it goes. But seems to me that the LG in order to improve the sales suddenly providing the 2 years free extended warranty on the OLEDs this festive season even before they print the warranty cards, maybe they didn't expect the sales to sky rocket ;)

Haha! Extended warranty did seal the deal for me right there. LG has managed to print brochures with the offer though. One user had posted in price thread I think. Save a copy of that. I really hope we don't have to fight LG over this. Will update what my dealers says later.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back