MG Hector Sharp Petrol DCT Or Hyundai 1.4 SX(O) DCT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vivek Batra

Hi Guys

Not sure if its legtimate post about cars on this forum. I looked a bit and saw some posts regarding cars so daring to post :) . I am looking for a new SUV under 20 Lacs and so far have shortlisted MG Hector Sharp Petrol DCT and Hyundai Creta 1.4 SX(O) DCT. I took test drive of both the cars and found the Creta bit laggy while shifting gears. Its not expected from DCT gear box though. But that was in city traffic, no experience how it behaves on highway.

Just wonderling are there any users for MG Hector or Creta to have first hand review?

On paper MG Hector looks good in terms of cabin space, features and the cost is almost the same as of Creta. But somehow I do not have much confidence in MG as a company and the interior is not too impressive, hard plastic all around though same with Creta, but I guess no choice.

Can some one share the experience with any of the vehicle?

Not to mentionm the car audio system matters a lot to me :)

Edit: Would like to buy Petrol car/suv.

Thanks.
Vivek

Last edited:
First of all the petrol engine of hector same as the compass petrol is just too lousy an egine for that vehicle.
If it's hector you want, you need to go with the Diesel variant.

The hyundai dct gearbox has got lots of issues . So much so that they have deleted temperature being shown on MID in all dct variants of hyundai and kia whenever car goes for service.

By temperature I meant temperature of the gearbox.

Basically it's not able to cope up with our traffic conditions and it's heating up.

It's not happening with all cars as all of them not driven same way.

Personally don't like either of them but if hyundai can assure you that they have taken care of issues related to their DCT gearbox you can go for it

First of all the petrol engine of hector same as the compass petrol is just too lousy an egine for that vehicle.

The hyundai dct gearbox has got lots of issues . So much so that they have deleted temperature being shown on MID in all dct variants of hyundai and kia whenever car goes for service.

Basically it's not able to cope up with our traffic conditions and it's heating up.

Personally don't like either of them but if hyundai can assure you that they have taken care of issues related to their DCT gearbox you can go for it
Thanks Rikhav. Thtas new to me. Will check more about DCT issues. I was hoping for Jeep Compass to price he face lifted model compatitvely but thats out of my reach what they announced last week for their Top end model S > 28 Lacs on road price.

The "MG" still has some reliability issues. Add the Harrier to your list.
Hey @shuv Thanks for joining. I have heard good things about Harrier but not a fan of Tata cars.

Hey
I don’t know about the creta but I did the same home work when I was comparing between the mg and the Kia .. the hector is pathetic and I was not very impressed with the Kia dct either .. then I drove the Kia gtx + manual .. that’s the one u should look at if u are looking for driving pleasure.. I ended up getting the manual because it’s driven by my driver mostly and once in a while when I drive it I really enjoy driving the car ..

For petrol specific options with reliable AT gearboxes, consider Creta/Seltos CVT petrol (IVT) under 20L and Innova Petrol AT, exceeds 20L.

Hey @shuv Thanks for joining. I have heard good things about Harrier but not a fan of Tata cars.
Tata has done things in the past which deserves lack of trust
But hyundai , kia is not far behind.
Last gen creta had issues with its ABS which is actually dangerous. New cars one had its engine mount cracked.
So the Korean manufacturer with its scaled up production is losing its grip on quality what it had during old santro days.
If you ask me there is no; perfect car under 20 lacs or even 25.
Sadly most of us don't have even half the budget for a car so it's always about a compromise.
One has to choose to go with which ones

Tata has done things in the past which deserves lack of trust
But hyundai , kia is not far behind.
Last gen creta had issues with its ABS which is actually dangerous. New cars one had its engine mount cracked.
So the Korean manufacturer with its scaled up production is losing its grip on quality what it had during old santro days.
If you ask me there is no; perfect car under 20 lacs or even 25.
Sadly most of us don't have even half the budget for a car so it's always about a compromise.
One has to choose to go with which ones
Thtas true @rikhav .We are served with quality/safety compromised cars in our country. By looking at the plastics inside the 20 Lacs cars, I never felt like spending that kind of money. Many safety features are trimmed compared to International versions. Its sad but we do not have any option but to settle for whats on offer.

Hi Guys

Not sure if its legtimate post about cars on this forum. I looked a bit and saw some posts regarding cars so daring to post :) . I am looking for a new SUV under 20 Lacs and so far have shortlisted MG Hector Sharp Petrol DCT and Hyundai Creta 1.4 SX(O) DCT. I took test drive of both the cars and found the Creta bit laggy while shifting gears. Its not expected from DCT gear box though. But that was in city traffic, no experience how it behaves on highway.

Just wonderling are there any users for MG Hector or Creta to have first hand review?

On paper MG Hector looks good in terms of cabin space, features and the cost is almost the same as of Creta. But somehow I do not have much confidence in MG as a company and the interior is not too impressive, hard plastic all around though same with Creta, but I guess no choice.

Can some one share the experience with any of the vehicle?

Not to mentionm the car audio system matters a lot to me :)

Edit: Would like to buy Petrol car/suv.

Thanks.
Vivek
I would suggest you to test drive a Kia Seltos GTX+ DCT. Ride quality and interiors are top-notch. Regarding perceived DCT gear box issues - it all goes with driving patterns; one should NOT use 'Eco' mode in city driving as it tends to heat up the transmission quite a bit. As long as one uses 'normal' mode in city and use 'Eco' or 'Sport' during highway cruising - absolutely no issues! You would love the 'sport' mode pickup, for sure!

Kia has not removed the 'MID temp' gauge - even after 3 services, am still able to check the temp gauge and it never crossed to any alarming levels.

On the audio system - GTX+ comes with 8 speaker Bose system - which is one of the best you can ask for (bundled) in a car.

So do test drive one before you decide. Its definitely a fun to drive vehicle.

I would suggest you to test drive a Kia Seltos GTX+ DCT. Ride quality and interiors are top-notch. Regarding perceived DCT gear box issues - it all goes with driving patterns; one should NOT use 'Eco' mode in city driving as it tends to heat up the transmission quite a bit. As long as one uses 'normal' mode in city and use 'Eco' or 'Sport' during highway cruising - absolutely no issues! You would love the 'sport' mode pickup, for sure!

Kia has not removed the 'MID temp' gauge - even after 3 services, am still able to check the temp gauge and it never crossed to any alarming levels.

On the audio system - GTX+ comes with 8 speaker Bose system - which is one of the best you can ask for (bundled) in a car.

So do test drive one before you decide. Its definitely a fun to drive vehicle.
Thanks @kvm . No doubt Kia is a beautiful car in comparison to Creta and otherwise. But sadly my son has striked that down just due to unavialability of panoramic sunroof. Otherwise thats a beautiful looking car.

Grateful to you @rikhav that you brought the heating issue of DCT. Now I am seeing a lot many people bothered by the same issue with DCT engines in KIA and Hyundai. Now need to re consider my choice of DCT/CVT.

Grateful to you @rikhav that you brought the heating issue of DCT. Now I am seeing a lot many people bothered by the same issue with DCT engines in KIA and Hyundai. Now need to re consider my choice of DCT/CVT.
Please check if CVT gearbox is still available or not. If it's auto that you want will always prefer a CVT or a torque converter auto for our conditions

I believe the 2021 edition of Seltos has the panaromic sun roof - need to reconfirm though.
Again - DCT heating issues are blown out of proportion mainly due to improper driving habits. Pl read thru carefully from owners who have been using this. I know few folks initially had trouble with this (even in Hyderabad) where they used 'Eco' mode in city traffic/ stop-and-go traffic especially in traffic jams and uphill stretches - thinking 'Eco' will help save fuel - ended up in DCT heating up and stalling. This is definitely not the recommended driving mode. Trick is to ensure one drives in 'normal' mode in city, during heavy traffic jams one doesn't ride on 'break' and for longer stops at 'red' signal, place in 'neutral' - as simple as that.
Even if it gets stalled, one needs to park for few minutes and let the DCT cool and resume driving - unless if someone ignores the warnings and continues to drive to damage the transmission!
This is from my personal experience and definitely NOT selling you Seltos :) Its up to you, for you drive the car you like, EOD.

I believe the 2021 edition of Seltos has the panaromic sun roof - need to reconfirm though.
Again - DCT heating issues are blown out of proportion mainly due to improper driving habits. Pl read thru carefully from owners who have been using this. I know few folks initially had trouble with this (even in Hyderabad) where they used 'Eco' mode in city traffic/ stop-and-go traffic especially in traffic jams and uphill stretches - thinking 'Eco' will help save fuel - ended up in DCT heating up and stalling. This is definitely not the recommended driving mode. Trick is to ensure one drives in 'normal' mode in city, during heavy traffic jams one doesn't ride on 'break' and for longer stops at 'red' signal, place in 'neutral' - as simple as that.
Even if it gets stalled, one needs to park for few minutes and let the DCT cool and resume driving - unless if someone ignores the warnings and continues to drive to damage the transmission!
This is from my personal experience and definitely NOT selling you Seltos :) Its up to you, for you drive the car you like, EOD.
In a way you are right , you need to stop holding car on brakes and put in park. But what do you do in stop and go traffic?
Where every few seconds you stop and then move ahead
As far as I understand engine mode is just way the throttle responds. Nothing to do with gearbox in creta / seltos and tata cars

Lusting for Citroen C5 Aircross :) For sure it will be out of bounds when the price is announced.

In a way you are right , you need to stop holding car on brakes and put in park. But what do you do in stop and go traffic?
Where every few seconds you stop and then move ahead
As far as I understand engine mode is just way the throttle responds. Nothing to do with gearbox in creta / seltos and tata cars
I didn't find any issues in regular stop and go traffic; just simply wait for 1-2 seconds to get enough space for you to move instead of inching forward; only for longer wait periods like 'red' signal, simply move to 'neutral'! Yes, this could be minor irritant in a way but each tech has its own way of working/ usage / constraints - similar to audio :) I could easily live with this given the driving pleasure in return.

The engine and transmission control logic is tuned for max fuel efficiency in 'eco' mode and hence is not recommended for city/ stop-and-go traffic. All these DCT heating issues were reported in the first few months when many were not accustomed to driving a DCT. From past many months, never found even a single DCT heating issue reported in the Seltos' owners' forums too.

Anyways, OP needs a 'panaromic sunroof' and in its absence, Seltos is not a contender anymore :)

I didn't find any issues in regular stop and go traffic; just simply wait for 1-2 seconds to get enough space for you to move instead of inching forward; only for longer wait periods like 'red' signal, simply move to 'neutral'! Yes, this could be minor irritant in a way but each tech has its own way of working/ usage / constraints - similar to audio :) I could easily live with this given the driving pleasure in return.

The engine and transmission control logic is tuned for max fuel efficiency in 'eco' mode and hence is not recommended for city/ stop-and-go traffic. All these DCT heating issues were reported in the first few months when many were not accustomed to driving a DCT. From past many months, never found even a single DCT heating issue reported in the Seltos' owners' forums too.

Anyways, OP needs a 'panaromic sunroof' and in its absence, Seltos is not a contender anymore :)
Thanks for sharing your thoughts I guess the engine in creta is same and so should be the gearbox. Good to know the earlier issues have been addressed. Will give CVT a try if I can feel the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back