Mini audio meet symphonic line , Naim xs 2 , bryston with b&w

Yes indeed , both Bala and naseer are very humble and I was overwhelmed with their hospitality.

Especially Bala and I share a different taste , and the views shared could easily get us out of comfort zone , But throughout the session Bala just listened to all of my naive comments with the open unbiased mind, as you stated it requires a different level of maturity in the hi-fi and it is special personality trait.

Naseer and i have the common liking, actually he triggered the desire to own a BBC monitor again , he just echoed the same view that I experienced when I had the spendor mini monitor , which I did not take it at a that time.

@Killerbrain Though my taste is not absolute classical still I can appreciate the quality of music and listening. BTW I am not a listener of heavy rock / metal tracks too. So I can be comfortable with any one moreover when you have come to my place, the goal is to best asses the gears especially to your requirement. So i have to ensure that all of you are at your level of comfort to get the best results.

I am eagerly waiting for my B&W 801 S3 Matrix to come. You can visit after that once again as this speaker will reveal every gear that we throw at it and we can asses exactly the signature of each and every components including cables.

Last edited:
Clearcut , IMHO I think I need more control over the driver for Both classical and newer electric , rock music . so better damping control should be beneficial for less sensitive speaker to keep the drivers in control. Voice clarity is more of the driver charecterics which are so good in the BBC type mini monitor and also more prominent as bass will be less from these.

The reason I gone for the fs with the drivers from BBC monitor is that I can make it to work for classical and newer dynamic content . it sounded so good for rock with proper electronic with the strong drive and that is the reason for the exploration for the amplifier. Whatever is the case, it can not come close to the musical warmth of the mini monitor, it is just a compromise that I made.

I enjoy the rock type of music better in dark sounding / closed-in type speaker with a really dynamic amplifier with the neutral tone than a very revealing speakers. To me, too much of information become a noice and could not live with that. At the same time , very revealing speakers are good for jazz type of music from good recording , but it works only if the musical preference is limited to those type or all of the music collection is audiophile quality. I listen to all, including less than ideal recording, most of the Indian music are bright and could not live with a revealing system.

killerbrain, two years back, as I loved to have an absolute transparent sounding system setup as: Arcam FMJ C31 pre- Arcam FMJ P1 power monoblocks- Spendor S8E FS speakers and the XLR inteconnects are VDH 'Jubilee', the Speaker cables are VDH- D352. That was 100% fatigue free. But there was a lack of punching and low grunt. Because, all the electronics and all the cables were having the same transparent nature. Then I became desperate for a system with good synergy & punch. So I had to let that go. As you said the musical warmth is very important which is now prominent in the S3/5R2 than the FS S8e. Also we could feel that bookshelf speakers are pretty fast.
Thank you.

Hi Denom,

This is for you! Evidence of my rig ;) Please excuse me for the picture quality, as i just used what I had in my mobile.

Thanks! A picture says it all ;)

Nice arrangement ilar , with ma out , it should be more breathing space now

EXACTLY!!! Otherwise you would be hearing more than what the spendors are capable of by themselves:p

On a serious note, am sure the Spendors sound is 'different' now that there are no other speakers around, to 'contaminate' the sound. OR are the other speakers still around??? :cool:

EXACTLY!!! Otherwise you would be hearing more than what the spendors are capable of by themselves:p

On a serious note, am sure the Spendors sound is 'different' now that there are no other speakers around, to 'contaminate' the sound. OR are the other speakers still around??? :cool:

They are gone now, and now with the addition of NACA cables, the whole wall seems to be punctuated with instruments and singers.

They are gone now, and now with the addition of NACA cables, the whole wall seems to be punctuated with instruments and singers.

The NACA4 cables are pretty old & discontinued now, why not go for the NACA5 ones now??? Naim forum wholehearted recommends the change from 4 to 5. Worth a shot for the better!

:)

killerbrain, two years back, as I loved to have an absolute transparent sounding system setup as: Arcam FMJ C31 pre- Arcam FMJ P1 power monoblocks- Spendor S8E FS speakers and the XLR inteconnects are VDH 'Jubilee', the Speaker cables are VDH- D352. That was 100% fatigue free. But there was a lack of punching and low grunt. Because, all the electronics and all the cables were having the same transparent nature. Then I became desperate for a system with good synergy & punch. So I had to let that go. As you said the musical warmth is very important which is now prominent in the S3/5R2 than the FS S8e. Also we could feel that bookshelf speakers are pretty fast.
Thank you.
Sunder

Have you tried it with any other electronic with s8e , general opinion on arcam is warm and vdh also smoothen it , when I tried the ap amp with s5e it has got just enough punch for me , when played well recorded rock track in a bigger hall. I am sure exposure CD player as source should also bring in the liveliness .

I am gonna try with exposure and Naim with the dragon fly as source which Is attacking sound as per the reviews
Regards

Yes , ilar is fortunate enough to finalize on something good soon before he tries numerous other options and gets his back wall punctured by nail scratching flashy flashy speakers which are claimed to be detailed/revealing/exciting by the reviews :)

Last edited:
@Killerbrain Though my taste is not absolute classical still I can appreciate the quality of music and listening. BTW I am not a listener of heavy rock / metal tracks too. So I can be comfortable with any one moreover when you have come to my place, the goal is to best asses the gears especially to your requirement. So i have to ensure that all of you are at your level of comfort to get the best results.

I am eagerly waiting for my B&W 801 S3 Matrix to come. You can visit after that once again as this speaker will reveal every gear that we throw at it and we can asses exactly the signature of each and every components including cables.

Sure sir , thabks. is it this b & w that naseer and you recommended for me during the meet

Yes , ilar is fortunate enough to finalize on something good soon before he tries numerous other options and gets his back wall punctured by nail scratching flashy flashy speakers which are claimed to be detailed/revealing/exciting by the reviews :)

Which speakers are you talking about??? :confused:

Sunder

Have you tried it with any other electronic with s8e , general opinion on arcam is warm and vdh also smoothen it , when I tried the ap amp with s5e it has got just enough punch for me , when played well recorded rock track in a bigger hall. I am sure exposure CD player as source should also bring in the liveliness .

I am gonna try with exposure and Naim with the dragon fly as source which Is attacking sound as per the reviews
Regards

The culprit was the Arcam monoblocks only. Though the power output is 180 watt/ channel, it failed to squeeze out of the Spendors S8e as I did expect. But the S8e were fantastic when I paired with Arcam C31 + Bryston 4BSST2. Your S5e will not be needed much power like S8e, so Naim + Exposure CDP with S5e will completely satisfy you, I hope so.
cheers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back