Mini audio meet symphonic line , Naim xs 2 , bryston with b&w

vijwilso

I have been* in Chennai for couple of week and got an invite* from Mr balagopalan to have a listen to some of the niche amplifiers . I have also got the Naim xs2 now and carried it for the comparison

We paired these amplifier with the b & w bs and nautilus series fs speakers.

Initially it was between the bryston and Naim xs , one obvious thing, both are complete extremes , if you like the naim , you may not like the bryston.

In this setup , bryston is more powerful , was really pounding on the speakers , with the Naim the immediate change is bass is less pronounced , highs are tamed and mids are in a way I like it, however my friend who was along with me liked the bryston for the over all thump.

Next we connected the symphonic line amps with the b & w fs . to me it is in a complete* different league compared to Naim & bryston . it is more transparent, neutral amplification that changes very well to the sources . this was* very evident when we changed three
different DACs. The Naim was not able to drive the fs , it was muddied and some notes are bloated. Though I have not had any real reference of how a specific track should sound, I always have a imaginary reference ( exclude those meridian & gold mund actives from reference :)** , I can say the symphonic line was able to come closer, would have been even better with my fav speakers , this amp somehow reminds me of my exposure amp, but this much more powerful* and due to which it controls every segment of spectrum really good. Nothing bloated or sounds coloured . personally b & w is not really my favorite , but with the symphonic line and audio gd DAC I liked it , everything was good . I could only imagine how this would sound with the good source. Even my bass loving friend likes the deep, controlled bass from these.

I missed* the* opportunity to pair it with the spendors as I could not carry it to Chennai. This kind of neutral tone , powerful drive across the entire spectrum should really really sound good with spendors and for the same reasons with harbeth.

It is like this , if I have symphonic line amp , I can tweak the signature in the source to my liking . the same may not be true for bryston and naims which looks like have got their own* flavour.

This amp is really high on my wish list now , with the budget being the only constrain.

Naim used to be fav for sometime , but looks like this has changed now . obviously this was not a fair comparison considering the price point , but I doubt growing up within Naim would not free it up from its signature. It is funny that I also like naims signature and presentation . But, but .... The symphonic line overrides it.

I like the way Naim handles the high compared to other amps , the reason is with Naim it is more listenable , while other amps are harsh , but when I listen to symphonic line I understand the compromise that Naim does.

I like the tonal qualities of Naim in the mids which is rich in general comparison , but with the symphonic like I could easily see what is bloated and colored, at the same time in no context it is clinical or boring or uninvolving. I am sure Naim should be good match for some of speakers with the lean signature at its price point.

Classical speakers , cohesive speakers with good tonal qualities should really benefit from this as the amp does not do anything to boost and a real strong drive to overcome those less sensitive drivers... I missed to pair it with spendors :(

And brystons , was high on my wish list, but disappointed now, it is bright for me and little beached out tone , not sure if that is pairing issue , but on the job for Mr balagobalan , serves well for him . doesn't it prove that we hear differently. It is sad for me that symphonic line is covered and idle and bryston plays the duty . okeys !!!!* as long as the owner is happy , who am I to complain.
In the end it is just personal tastes, and to my surprise , for the first time I realize that the preference could vary to a greater extent , one might prefer bryston over SL while for me it is simply the SL

This part should have come in the beginning , but I am not good in editing in mobile devices, feel the risk of loosing or messing up with the content .
Thanks a lot to Mr balagobalan for the invite and the opportunity to listen to these amps , and for your patience and effort in the multi combo trials

We were four at this event, will be more interesting to hear from others

Pls excuse typo ---- and it is just my personal view , i have very limited exposure to the audio gears

Last edited:
Nice to hear of all FMs experiences and you certainly do not have to make any apologies for your exposure to audio gears which appears to be to some great high-end equipment.
I have always been a little confused by the B&W nomenclature. The Nautilus used to refer to one speaker - their flagship at about $60,0000 - but I often see the 800 Series models also referred to as Nautilus. This distinction can be seen on the B&W web-site product pages usually. However, can you please let us know which model was auditioned, thanks. I have heard the Nautilus many years ago and they were startling for their time. It would be quite a treat to hear them again in Chennai.

I have been* in Chennai for couple of week and got an invite* from Mr balagopalan to have a listen to some of the niche amplifiers . I have also got the Naim xs2 now and carried it for the comparison

We paired these amplifier with the b & w bs and nautilus series fs speakers.

Initially it was between the bryston and Naim xs , one obvious thing, both are complete extremes , if you like the naim , you may not like the bryston.

In this setup , bryston is more powerful , was really pounding on the speakers , with the Naim the immediate change is bass is less pronounced , highs are tamed and mids are in a way I like it, however my friend who was along with me liked the bryston for the over all thump.

Next we connected the symphonic line amps with the b & w fs . to me it is in a complete* different league compared to Naim & bryston . it is more transparent, neutral amplification that changes very well to the sources . this was* very evident when we changed three
different DACs. The Naim was not able to drive the fs , it was muddied and some notes are bloated. Though I have not had any real reference of how a specific track should sound, I always have a imaginary reference ( exclude those meridian & gold mund actives from reference :)** , I can say the symphonic line was able to come closer, would have been even better with my fav speakers , this amp somehow reminds me of my exposure amp, but this much more powerful* and due to which it controls every segment of spectrum really good. Nothing bloated or sounds coloured . personally b & w is not really my favorite , but with the symphonic line and audio gd DAC I liked it , everything was good . I could only imagine how this would sound with the good source. Even my bass loving friend likes the deep, controlled bass from these.

I missed* the* opportunity to pair it with the spendors as I could not carry it to Chennai. This kind of neutral tone , powerful drive across the entire spectrum should really really sound good with spendors and for the same reasons with harbeth.

It is like this , if I have symphonic line amp , I can tweak the signature in the source to my liking . the same may not be true for bryston and naims which looks like have got their own* flavour.

This amp is really high on my wish list now , with the budget being the only constrain.

Naim used to be fav for sometime , but looks like this has changed now . obviously this was not a fair comparison considering the price point , but I doubt growing up within Naim would not free it up from its signature. It is funny that I also like naims signature and presentation . But, but .... The symphonic line overrides it.

I like the way Naim handles the high compared to other amps , the reason is with Naim it is more listenable , while other amps are harsh , but when I listen to symphonic line I understand the compromise that Naim does.

I like the tonal qualities of Naim in the mids which is rich in general comparison , but with the symphonic like I could easily see what is bloated and colored, at the same time in no context it is clinical or boring or uninvolving. I am sure Naim should be good match for some of speakers with the lean signature at its price point.

Classical speakers , cohesive speakers with good tonal qualities should really benefit from this as the amp does not do anything to boost and a real strong drive to overcome those less sensitive drivers... I missed to pair it with spendors :(

And brystons , was high on my wish list, but disappointed now, it is bright for me and little beached out tone , not sure if that is pairing issue , but on the job for Mr balagobalan , serves well for him . doesn't it prove that we hear differently. It is sad for me that symphonic line is covered and idle and bryston plays the duty . okeys !!!!* as long as the owner is happy , who am I to complain. In the end it is just personal tastes, and to my surprise , for the first time I realize that of could vary drastically .

This part should have come in the beginning , but I am not good in editing in mobile devices, feel the risk of loosing or messing up with the content .
Thanks a lot to Mr balagobalan for the invite and the opportunity to listen to these amps , and for your patience and effort in the multi combo trials

We were four at this event, will be more interesting to hear from others

Pls excuse typo ---- and it is just my personal view , i have very limited exposure to the audio gears

killerbrain, which model of Spendor do you have? Thank you.
Cheers.

Dear Killerbrain, Thanks for your visit (It gives me heavy heart that I could not offer you anything while you were at my home), in fact it has been one amongst a few occasions that I was in front of a 2 channel set up (almost 4 hours). Your detailed analysis on the songs and the Gears is amazing. In fact I did enjoy the Audio GD DAC and Symphonic Line RG 10 combo very much and I also was amazed by SL RG10's capabilities of revealing the quality of each and every gear that we had changed including down to the line of a simple Speaker wire. In fact it made me to rethink of my selling the SL RG10. Still given the cooling time of this 48 hrs I am clear in my mind that I will go with my existing Electrocompaniet 4.5 and Bryston combo with W4S Dac. I am planning to go in for a EC AW 220 Power Blocks to have better synergy with my EC 4.5.

I also would like to thank our fellow member Mr. Mohamed Naseer for sparing his time and be in the audition as I know he also is a deep classical lover and in line with Killerbrain - Vijay.

Thanks

R. Balagopalan

Nice to hear of all FMs experiences and you certainly do not have to make any apologies for your exposure to audio gears which appears to be to some great high-end equipment.
I have always been a little confused by the B&W nomenclature. The Nautilus used to refer to one speaker - their flagship at about $60,0000 - but I often see the 800 Series models also referred to as Nautilus. This distinction can be seen on the B&W web-site product pages usually. However, can you please let us know which model was auditioned, thanks. I have heard the Nautilus many years ago and they were startling for their time. It would be quite a treat to hear them again in Chennai.

Hi Staxx, What I have is 804 N only, It is not the High end of Nautilus, what you are mentioning is the SIGNATURE which will resemble the Snail's shell. The first customer for that was Sultanate of Brunei and the second was the Director of Lucas Films, rest I don't know. Any how you are most welcome for audition at my home in my Stereo as well as HT setup.

Thanks.

R. Balagopalan

I am the one along with Killerbrain during the audition. As I am a newbie on this(having PM6004 & BX 5 for last 7 months used to hear kollywood songs), it was a wonderful experience to meet the music lovers. I was amazed when Nazeer and killerbrain explained the different experiences from those setup. They explained me the differences about real feel for the music(bass & treble), voice difference, separation of different instruments etc...

I must thank Balagopalan to let us experience the infinite number of combinations(amp, dac, wires, sources,speakers) in his set up. I guess we had around 10 combinations for the same set of albums. Before leaving, we experienced his theater set up ( I should not say it as home theater :) ) . It is simply "sema" (wow...).

Later killerbrain visited my place to help me to get best out of my combo. We tried with naim, marantz with and without DAC on different rooms. Earlier I used to listen from Ipod. He installed foobar on my laptop and that did a magic from my existing system. Atually I was not fully satisfied with the midrange of marantz. I guess couple of more accessories
should help me to satisfy myself from the existing setup. I will have to do the following.

1. Play songs from foobar
2. Have a descent DAC
3. Have different cable
4. May be change the room.

Will have to try one by one...

Thanks again Naseer, balagopalan & killerbrain.

I am the one along with Killerbrain during the audition. As I am a newbie on this(having PM6004 & BX 5 for last 7 months used to hear kollywood songs), it was a wonderful experience to meet the music lovers. I was amazed when Nazeer and killerbrain explained the different experiences from those setup. They explained me the differences about real feel for the music(bass & treble), voice difference, separation of different instruments etc...

I must thank Balagopalan to let us experience the infinite number of combinations(amp, dac, wires, sources,speakers) in his set up. I guess we had around 10 combinations for the same set of albums. Before leaving, we experienced his theater set up ( I should not say it as home theater :) ) . It is simply "sema" (wow...).

Later killerbrain visited my place to help me to get best out of my combo. We tried with naim, marantz with and without DAC on different rooms. Earlier I used to listen from Ipod. He installed foobar on my laptop and that did a magic from my existing system. Atually I was not fully satisfied with the midrange of marantz. I guess couple of more accessories
should help me to satisfy myself from the existing setup. I will have to do the following.

2. Have a descent DAC
3. Have different cable

Sunder

I have s5e, my fav is s3/5r2

Killerbrain, I do have S3/5r2. I am searching for an integ amp with good power as can drive this low sensitive speakers. Can you suggest few amps having with good synergy?
Thank you.

I liked it with exposure , acoustic portrait's new integrated amp and Naim should also be good which I am yet to try and compare.

How do you drive these speakers now and the source , I am in search for matching source

FM Mr. Mohamed Naseer has got the vintage BBC monitor , he pairs it with leak amplifier and vouch for it. I don't know the exact model though

Last edited:
And if you have plans upgrading in spendor classic lines or harbeth , you have the SL at a very good price :)

I have heard the sp3/5r2 with both exposure amp and my own amp Sugden A21 se.We used the exposure CD player at source.

Exposure amp sounded good with the sp3/5r2 but sugden really made it sing.
I felt that the sound was more open, fluent and natural with more details with the sugden .

I would urge to try a Sugden + Spendor.If possible look at the A21 se or the master class , because they are more detailed and has more control and better dynamics than the a21a.

Killerbrain, I do have S3/5r2. I am searching for an integ amp with good power as can drive this low sensitive speakers. Can you suggest few amps having with good synergy?
Thank you.

Look also at Trigon Energy integrated amp which is available in Bangalore at The Listening Room. It' an excellent sounding and powerful amp. It should be a able to drive your speakers with ease. I'm using it myself since a year and am extremely satisfied.

I liked it with exposure , acoustic portrait's new integrated amp and Naim should also be good which I am yet to try and compare.

How do you drive these speakers now and the source , I am in search for matching source

FM Mr. Mohamed Naseer has got the vintage BBC monitor , he pairs it with leak amplifier and vouch for it. I don't know the exact model though

My existing amp to the spendor is Grundig-FineArts-A903. The source is Ayon Cd07. The result is good. But I want to give the power which S3/5R2 really needs. Thank you.

Look also at Trigon Energy integrated amp which is available in Bangalore at The Listening Room. It' an excellent sounding and powerful amp. It should be a able to drive your speakers with ease. I'm using it myself since a year and am extremely satisfied.

Her Master's Voice, thank you. How much the price of the amp? What speakers have you connected with that amp?
Thank you.

2. Have a descent DAC
3. Have different cable

I have heard the sp3/5r2 with both exposure amp and my own amp Sugden A21 se.We used the exposure CD player at source.

Exposure amp sounded good with the sp3/5r2 but sugden really made it sing.
I felt that the sound was more open, fluent and natural with more details with the sugden .

I would urge to try a Sugden + Spendor.If possible look at the A21 se or the master class , because they are more detailed and has more control and better dynamics than the a21a.

Kushanava, yes, I had an idea about Sugden A21SE, But it was beyond my budget! At which price did you get the Sugden? What speakers do you use for Sugden?
Thank you.

Her Master's Voice, thank you. How much the price of the amp? What speakers have you connected with that amp?
Thank you.

I paid 1.6 L a year ago. But with the present exchange rate the price should have gone up. It's a great amp and it's in the same league like the Symphonic Line integrated amp, I would say.
I used Kef Q300 and have just now upgraded to the Blumenhofer Genuin FS5 which is presently on offer at The Listening Room. It's a dream. Very similar to Harbeth and Spendor speakers. Same musicality but more dynamics and punch. Special Price: 6 Pairs Of Genuin Bookshelf Speakers For Sale

There are two types of listening tastes. One is rock and another one is melodies. Rock means fast and variety of instruments. In melodies slow mid based with minimal instruments. Combination is the main thing. Naim is not a bad amp. There is certain limitation for this amp. For small room high sens book shelf it would do wonder. Bryston and EC combination is good if they are linked with neutral ic and speaker wires. If they are also bright and the speaker are also forward horrible. In Bala's home it is lovely matched. Moreover the sym amp is very versatile it can handle both genre of music. Power and musicality presentation are so lovely. More over taste differs between person. Bala is so gentle and known for hospitality. His interest and Naseer taste differs. Since I have come across a very few amp I prefer symp. Bec of its gorgeous look build quality and versatility with remote. So lovely it would fulfil my bed room system with Dali mentor2. I had a mind to ask him a little deferred payment. But my budget due to recession pulled me back. I came to know from Bala Killer brains dac was good. Congratulations to the new owner. Thanks to Bala Accuphase 303 with its 150 wpc threatening my B&W 801 mk iii in every angle. So lovely performance it is. Bala's and Naseers are in hifi world. So we need not worry to get the gears at our tastes. So neutral and helping they are. So killer brain you could also use both of them

Kushanava, yes, I had an idea about Sugden A21SE, But it was beyond my budget! At which price did you get the Sugden? What speakers do you use for Sugden?
Thank you.

The Sugden cost me ~2.5L.I am looking for speakers.
I am temporarily running them with wharf 9.1.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back