Mini-ITX Gaming PC Build

sugu1974

Dear All,

I am looking forward to build a mini itx pc .
Main purpose would be for gaming, please let me know suggestions or combinations for which i can go for.

I am also confused where to settle for the AMD 2700X processor or the Intel I5.

Please let me know your inputs regarding the same.

Thank you.

A few points to consider :
- mini ITX is tougher to cool and generally more expensive than micro atx. Any particular reason you want this? If sticking to mini itx, be careful on parts selections - low tdp cpu and graphics card
- either intel or amd are fine for gaming. AMD is a more flexible platform though and has better non gaming performance. There is a new AMD lineup coming in July which will improve performance further
- what resolution and refresh rate monitor do you plan to use? Based on that, decide on the GPU. For a gaming setup, this is more important than the CPU

Good luck

I'll suggest you to avoid mini itx, it's mainly used for htpc's with low end GPU and low tdp cpu. Also there are some limitations like only 2 ram slots and 1 pcie slot. Best buy will be a micro atx board with 4 ram slots and 2 pcie slots( if in near future you go for dual GPU). For cpu I'll recommend you to wait for ryzen 3000 to launch as it'll be a much better value for money compared to intel.

I am looking forward to build a mini itx pc .
Mini ITX is not suitable for gaming due to less ventilation inside box. You may end up slapping more fans and high speed settings which will cause a lot of noise. And also it does not give flexible enough number of storage options, Memory DIMM slots and GPU selection freedom.
Once upon a time me too was obsessed with Mini ITX form factor and settled with ATX (micro ATX is good one) after knowing all shortcomings.

I am also confused where to settle for the AMD 2700X processor or the Intel I5.
AMD 2700X is way to go, which is high in performance and value for money compared to Intel core i5. There is third gen AMD being released, watch out for that too.

Incremental build - this is crucial. Like Audio system, I built my Computer also in incremental with good components. It is essential for Gaming PC.

Assuming it is going to be for gaming with some big titles, the Graphics card of your choice may not fit inside an itx case. You might not even have more than 2 case fan options.

Wait a bit and check out the upcoming AMD Ryzen 3, let it hit the markets and read the initial impressions.

If not the Ryzen 2700X with X470 gaming motherboard is very good. Future of new games and software will be based on more cores and in that the i5 will suffer.

If you plan to overclock the 2700X, you will definitely need a better cooling solution and the itx case is just not going to cut it. Even without OC, you will need an aftermarket cooler for gaming and again the choices are severely restricted with an itx case.

Get a good mid tower case with ATX support as a minimum, lot of case fan options, good cpu cooler clearance (minimum 158mm, as good cpu coolers start from there onwards) you can install an mATX board if you want. AMD needs a lot of good speed ram to really shine.

Lots of solid advice from other members too.

On the lighter side, if the games are just chess and solitaire, then itx will do just fine......:D

Well, I'm currently sporting an ASUS STRIX 1070 OC in my Fractal Design ITX case with a Corsair H80 v2 cooler and a couple of case fans. With proper planning, you can ensure that there is adequate cooling that can sustain the most demanding titles with ease. Also, configuring the BIOS/GPU to set fan levels based on temp is a must when you are going the ITX way.

While it is certainly doable with full-size graphics cards, ITX cases do have some ventilation limitations that needs proper planning and usage of thermal paste (I'm using the thermal grizzly kryonaut which is inexpensive and very effective). With ventilation, bigger case is always better.

I run a mini itx setup as well, specs are the following.
Case: NZXT H200i
MB: Asrock Z390
Process: I5-9400F
Storage: 1 TB SSD & 12 TB WD Red
Graphics: EVGA 1050Ti.
PSU: Corsair SFX 600
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengence

The case has ample of space for cooling and also plenty of options for fans as well.
There are 2 in the front, one in the rear and top for exhaust.
SFX PSU gives you more space inside the case, and allows for tad bit more air for GPU ventilation .

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back