MiniWatt Tube Amplifier

well i did test it with Marantz, denon and Norge amps in that price segment and maybe a little higher actually. IMHO a lot depens on speaker combination as well - the NAD 326 with PSB Alpha sounds good to be in a budget - but the NAD with the speakers tested did not fare better than the MiniWatt. Maybe with single driver system where the potential lies for the MiniWatt, it can strike gold.

That is the beauty of such audio systems, whether it be MiniWatt or some other amplifier.

A mention of the volume levels you managed to reach, Supra? That is the key to this whole valve amplifier thing:)

A mention of the volume levels you managed to reach, Supra? That is the key to this whole valve amplifier thing:)

the showroom guys did measure it once - it hovered around 80-85 db which is acceptable for a small room with just about efficient speakers.

supra,lovely review i must say.am sure an eye opener for many regarding capabilities of something so small!!available in cheeky colours too.very neat.cheers

the showroom guys did measure it once - it hovered around 80-85 db which is acceptable for a small room with just about efficient speakers.

What speakers were used for this measurement? Also what was the position of the volume knob in this case?

whrfedale 9.1 and mission m35 for ref. and the volume knob was at 12 (starts at 7).

Thank you Supra. With the Diamond 9.1 did you get tolerably room filling sound with the Miniwatt at or near the 12 O' clock position (volume knob)?

Thank you Supra. With the Diamond 9.1 did you get tolerably room filling sound with the Miniwatt at or near the 12 O' clock position (volume knob)?

see the m35s at my place reproduced music at listenable volumes at 12 o clock on the miniwatt - i felt the wharfedale 9.1/9.2 somewhat louder (though with lesser bass) at a dealers place. The Quads appeared thin and with lesser body.

BTW at comparative volume levels the MiniWatt was very much identical (if not better) to the Denon PMA 2000 that we also played side by side.

see the m35s at my place reproduced music at listenable volumes at 12 o clock on the miniwatt - i felt the wharfedale 9.1/9.2 somewhat louder (though with lesser bass) at a dealers place. The Quads appeared thin and with lesser body.

BTW at comparative volume levels the MiniWatt was very much identical (if not better) to the Denon PMA 2000 that we also played side by side.

Thanks Supra for your patient answers. Increasingly I am getting the feeling that high sensitivity alone is not the be all and end all of getting into tubes.

Thanks Supra for your patient answers. Increasingly I am getting the feeling that high sensitivity alone is not the be all and end all of getting into tubes.

no its not - its funny when all the tubes have characteristic sound - best is building something from group - up like a DIY or maybe befriend someone who makes such stuff and make something as per your specifications. Honestly me and my wife just loved the miniwatt (though admittedly it did not go boom boom loud) in comparison to so may other amps from denon, norge, norge that I have brought in for home demo (thanks for the few lovely dealers Pune has).

But at the same time its a similar story for solid state amps as well:)

no its not - its funny when all the tubes have characteristic sound - best is building something from group - up like a DIY or maybe befriend someone who makes such stuff and make something as per your specifications. Honestly me and my wife just loved the miniwatt (though admittedly it did not go boom boom loud) in comparison to so may other amps from denon, norge, norge that I have brought in for home demo (thanks for the few lovely dealers Pune has).

But at the same time its a similar story for solid state amps as well:)

I have nowhere near the experience or the knowledge to attempt a DIY job. I leave that to the experts. But I am sure am looking to dip my feet into valves. At the earliest chance I get:)

I have nowhere near the experience or the knowledge to attempt a DIY job. I leave that to the experts. But I am sure am looking to dip my feet into valves. At the earliest chance I get:)

IMHO DIY speakers will be easier with a competent carpenter and good drivers - DIY amps are a different kettle of fish. I might try the first soon but never will try an amp ever. :p

hello suprateep,

excellent review. really tempts me to try one out.

if you have got efficient and balanced speakers - the miniwatt will not disappoint :) - just that most speakers sold around are horribly inefficient with complex crossovers and the multi-driver setup eats into efficiency.

Logically a multi- driver setup will not be efficient:indifferent14:

not sure if this is true as a generalization. I think a lot would also depend on the mechanical/ physical quality of driver cone, strength of magnets etc. across different brands/ models of speakers.

regards

Logically a multi- driver setup will not be efficient:indifferent14:

not sure if this is true as a generalization. I think a lot would also depend on the mechanical/ physical quality of driver cone, strength of magnets etc. across different brands/ models of speakers.

regards

And on the complexity or the lack thereof of the crossover itself, if I am not mistaken.

regards

yes - keeping all the factors constant i meant :D - gesh these days one slip - and you are the favorite whipping boy on the forum - and the ask you to go to hell. (like its getting on a BEST bus)

hahaha
Yes! It is like BEST bus. I remember my summer training - I would stand all the way from Powai to Boriwali and just before my stop you would get seats vacant.

regards

yes - keeping all the factors constant i meant :D - gesh these days one slip - and you are the favorite whipping boy on the forum - and the ask you to go to hell. (like its getting on a BEST bus)

Supra - now that you have your feet wet with the intro to valves - try a lyrita amp at higher volume with a real heavy power supply. It would be a complete dip :)
I am still waiting for that elusive bonus to have enough money to lap up a lyrita amp + speakers.

BTW, my hybrid tube pre + SS amp and "normal" consumer speakers is complete (for now, till next upgrade).
I find the sound pretty good, along with decent bass. I know my weakest link is JBL speakers. But I am already decided on the next speaker+amp for me - Lyritas. For now I am looking for good TT and may be a cassette deck.

Supra - now that you have your feet wet with the intro to valves - try a lyrita amp at higher volume with a real heavy power supply. It would be a complete dip :)
I am still waiting for that elusive bonus to have enough money to lap up a lyrita amp + speakers.

BTW, my hybrid tube pre + SS amp and "normal" consumer speakers is complete (for now, till next upgrade).
I find the sound pretty good, along with decent bass. I know my weakest link is JBL speakers. But I am already decided on the next speaker+amp for me - Lyritas. For now I am looking for good TT and may be a cassette deck.

i would love to audition the lyrita - lets see - I will be in Delhi i last week of Oct for my friends marriage - lets see if i can audition it for some time there. I am sure the combo will rock me :clapping:

PS: Can i ask you much damage you are preparing for :p - i too will move the valve way - love the sound.

you are most welcome to be at my place. I am planning to shift house and I don't want to give up this listening room. I can play loud volumes even at late night. Will not be possible when I move to a flat :mad:

Back