MintLP arc protractor

I wrote to Layers Of Beauty yesterday after reading your post to enquire about their TD 124 plinth which is listed at 240 pounds, indicative. Shipping to India is 170 pounds! That's 70% of the cost of the actual plinth. A Panzerholz version of the same plinth can be made and would be about 860 pounds. I don't know if I should just close my eyes and take the plunge for the standard version, or try a DIY CLD to learn the ropes before I can attempt a slate number.

Hi,
You can get the Plinth done by any good CNC/waterjet cutter workshop in very reasonable price.Mounting Template for TD 124 can be found on Vinylengine.
Thorens TD124 Owners Manual, Service Manual, Schematics, Free Download | Vinyl Engine

Regards,
Sachin

Hi,

Below is a link to a picture that shows how Loricraft uses squash balls in their plinths for Garrards.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/loricraft_e.html

Someone whose experiences with Garrards mirror mine.

The solid plinth had awsome dynamics, far better than the suspended version which tended to soften the leading edges slightly. Bass notes were perhaps deeper although not by much, but the sound did seem more powerfull somehow.
In all other area's the Loriclone edged it I felt. Treble was slightly dull on the solid plinth, and the sound had a feeling of being over controlled. Impresive at first, after a few hours it became a bit much, rellentless almost, although not harsh or fatiguing.
Converting back to the suspended plinth everything seemd so much more natural. Gone was some of the attack of the solid design but it was replaced by a more "relaxed" sound, but one that lacked nothing when it came to excitement. Sparkle is not a word usually assosiated with the Garrards treble but there was more of it than with the solid plinth.
So, my curiosity has been satisfied. I realise it cant be assumed that my findings are gospel, it is only my opinion after all. Bare in mind that I came to the Garrard from a LP12, which I liked very much and perhaps it can be argued that I prefer the Sondeks presentation. Possibly someone listening from a less coloured TT's veiwpoint may prefer the solid design? Perhaps some fine tuning would redress the ballance, I dont know. I have a feeling that the solid plinth may respond to what it sits on more than the suspended plinth, but I dont have a stand big enough to accomodate either.

I too have have lived with a Linn LP12 for too long (1985). Between the 301 and TD124 I would go with the TD124.

Pictures of the Loriclone plinth in the link below.

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11827

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Hi,

I am also using 4 squash balls cut in halves for my Technics.It really helps to minimise acoustic feedback.

Regards,
Sachin

this guy ships Birch Wood plinths..buy a Non Veneered one from him and get it lacquered shipping will be around 100USD. he used to have TD124plinths as well.

Been in touch with this guy from Moldavia (yes, I had to look that up on the map). Asking $ 120 for TD 124 plinth. $ 120 for shipping. I think it's a damned good deal. Now to register myself on Paypal and do the deed.
Joshua

tell him to make sure the Corners are well protected during shipping ! ideally get a Un venerred option and get it well finished here.

Got some useful tools. Just arrived! Headshell level to check azimuth and a force gauge. Cheapest one I found so far and I've been looking quite a bit! He has two varieties, 0.1 and 0.01 g. I got the 0.01g.

dxlhp | eBay

Been in touch with this guy from Moldavia (yes, I had to look that up on the map). Asking $ 120 for TD 124 plinth. $ 120 for shipping. I think it's a damned good deal. Now to register myself on Paypal and do the deed.
Joshua

Took the plunge today and paid up. Now to tell the seller to pack it properly:) as advised by arj. There is some communication gap as seller is less than conversant with English and doesn't read his "Ask Seller" page much.

Took the plunge today and paid up. Now to tell the seller to pack it properly:) as advised by arj. There is some communication gap as seller is less than conversant with English and doesn't read his "Ask Seller" page much.

Try google translate :eek:hyeah:

Regards,
Sachin

Try google translate :eek:hyeah:

Regards,
Sachin

I wasn't joking when I said we had communication problems. Try this for size and do help me in interpreting it:

Quote:
Hi! You bought a plinth, I have to you have questions. What tree you want to cover the hole and you want that was in the middle or toward the left that would be on the right side was more a playground if you have a tonearm for 10 or 12 inches? regards
Unquote

I am completely stumped!

Grin Joshua, you sure are having fun:D

Just tell him what veneer you want (tree) and the playground refers to how much space you want ie what tonearm you intend mounting and where you want it mounted left or right? That should cover his questions I think.

It does sound like one of those unsolvable puzzles...

Regards

Grin Joshua, you sure are having fun:D

Just tell him what veneer you want (tree) and the playground refers to how much space you want ie what tonearm you intend mounting and where you want it mounted left or right? That should cover his questions I think.

It does sound like one of those unsolvable puzzles...

Regards

I've sunk 240 big ones here and this puzzle needs solving. I wrote back to him (slowly, of course), breaking down his sentence, to ask what he means. Let's see what gems he comes back with.

I also inferred the "tree" to mean the veneer. "Cover" the hole" seems to be tonearm board, "in the middle or toward the left that would be on the right side was more a playground" is still puzzling. Is he asking how much space he should leave to the left or right so that I have some room in future for 10 or 12 inchers?

Hey Joshua,

I just had a post lunch idea. Which is rare so it must be good! How about drawing things out? A top view of the plinth and where you want the tonearm and call outs to describe the veneer you want. Universal language of pictures should do the trick.

regards

Hey Joshua,

I just had a post lunch idea. Which is rare so it must be good! How about drawing things out? A top view of the plinth and where you want the tonearm and call outs to describe the veneer you want. Universal language of pictures should do the trick.

regards
Your idea is actually brilliant. You should have them more often:lol:

His reply to my breaking down his sentence produced an unusually lucid response (relatively):

"if it is strictly in the middle of the body that is precisely to 9 inches if thorens shifted to the left then the 12-inch tonearm can be set."

It would be nice to be able to drill for a full-monty 12 incher in future (like a Schick, for instance:)), so I have again tried to confirm my understanding of the above (I guess he is asking if I want the table cutout offset to the left, instead of centering it, so that 12 inch arm can be mounted later).

Now, there is still the small matter of which "tree" to resolve. I am waiting for him to tell me which are my choices.

Yes good Idea by stevie.
Joshua, give him step by step instruction. If you are not in a hurry and If you need any help in drawing send me details I will make the drawings.

Yes good Idea by stevie.
Joshua, give him step by step instruction. If you are not in a hurry and If you need any help in drawing send me details I will make the drawings.

Thanks a lot, Hiten. Our communication has improved a lot and I think we are able to understand each other now.:lol:
Joshua

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back