mission qx-2 paired with quad vena amp

What is the music source ? Are you playing the music from a CD ? Are you playing files ? Are the files lossy (mp3, aac etc) or lossless (flac, ape etc) ?
You would need a DAC between the laptop and the amp unless the amp has a built in DAC.

yes the amp has an integrated DAC, i play mostly flac and mp3@320kbps files through foobar(asio) / jriver(wasapi)

Seems like you know how to set up the gear. WHat do you think is missing? Can you describe the sound?

Seems like you know how to set up the gear. WHat do you think is missing? Can you describe the sound?
I don't know exactly how to describe it in audiophile terms, but in short it sounds tiny,recessed, veiled, muddy bass on some tracks, sometimes harsh but mostly on the darker side, I prefer intimate vocals(somewhat on the thicker side, I don't like bright sounding music) /forward mids with punchy bass, when I eq and alter the live preset, it sounds better but it still isn't as fun sounding and engaging, I hope you get what I'm trying to convey.

I don't know exactly how to describe it in audiophile terms, but in short it sounds tiny,recessed, veiled, muddy bass on some tracks, sometimes harsh but mostly on the darker side, I prefer intimate vocals(somewhat on the thicker side, I don't like bright sounding music) /forward mids with punchy bass, when I eq and alter the live preset, it sounds better but it still isn't as fun sounding and engaging, I hope you get what I'm trying to convey.

From what I know, missions can be bright sounding. Only option you have right now is to try different speaker cables which can tame the brightness, don't use silver based cables. But as I said previously, wait till 150-200hrs before deciding to sell any existing equipment.

I feel sorry for what you are going through., this is the cost of simplified setup. Like others pointed out, your speakers are not much at fault. I wanted a simplified setup too and bought NAD D3020 - there is not a single negative review of this amp in the whole web. But I felt the music is not very open, its just that these amps with in built DAC are not that great - hit or miss.

But I did not lose hope ;) I went and bought Rotel RA11, one more amp with built in DAC. This sounds much better. But I can tell you this, if I put little more money and bought a proper integrated amp and a separate DAC, it would sound much better.

I feel sorry for what you are going through., this is the cost of simplified setup. Like others pointed out, your speakers are not much at fault. I wanted a simplified setup too and bought NAD D3020 - there is not a single negative review of this amp in the whole web. But I felt the music is not very open, its just that these amps with in built DAC are not that great - hit or miss.

But I did not lose hope ;) I went and bought Rotel RA11, one more amp with built in DAC. This sounds much better. But I can tell you this, if I put little more money and bought a proper integrated amp and a separate DAC, it would sound much better.

i agree, the plan now is to sell this amp as soon as possible and get a better integrated amp, like the marantz pm 7005/8005

I strongly feel it’s the DAC. If I may suggest a simple experiment - connect a DVD player (even a cheap one from Sony or Philips will do) if you have one. Connect only via RCA. Play a good quality CD and check the sound. If there’s a huge difference, it’s the built in DAC.

I’m surprised to hear it sounds thin. Both are very British and I was expecting that you’d say the sound is warm and probably dark.

I had a similar experience when deciding between Cambridge Audio SR10 vs SR20. I didn’t like the sound from the built in DAC in SR20. Settled with SR10 and immensely happy with it.

I strongly feel it’s the DAC. If I may suggest a simple experiment - connect a DVD player (even a cheap one from Sony or Philips will do) if you have one. Connect only via RCA. Play a good quality CD and check the sound. If there’s a huge difference, it’s the built in DAC.

I’m surprised to hear it sounds thin. Both are very British and I was expecting that you’d say the sound is warm and probably dark.

I had a similar experience when deciding between Cambridge Audio SR10 vs SR20. I didn’t like the sound from the built in DAC in SR20. Settled with SR10 and immensely happy with it.
thanks, I will give this a try a let you know about it

just a quick update:
So my speakers stand arrived, and I mounted the speakers on it and the sound has drastically changed, the muddy bass one some tracks has mostly disappeared but it sounds very bright and often fatiguing now, although I could hear the bass response, it lacks the punch and power. On about 60-70% volume on knob of amp also, it still sounds weak. :C

I did read some reviews on Quad vena as well, and they seem to be pretty okay, originally i had planned to pair it with marantz pm6006, but it was not available with the seller, and when i inquired about cambridge audio amp, Mr. Anil from hifimart suggested that I go with Quad Vena, I had no reasons to doubt his advise and I went along with it. Also I am based in Aizawl, Mizoram (north east) and over here, there is not a single Audio stores from where I can even purchase quality speaker cables, let alone speakers and amp, so auditioning the products beforehand is unfortunately not possible. I was also eyeing marantz pm7005 at the time but was a bit out of my budget then, now I totally regret not going with it. And selling the Quad vena at my town is highly unlikely also, I even paid a whopping Rs.5000 solely for the shipping charges alone for this amp :(
I wish I could somehow sell this amp.
Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it.
Hi. Not many to see from my place. So did you buy the marantz

Nope, i'm still stuck with the same system; where are you based @azl?
There are some good high end audio stores in Guwahati if you can make the trip. I can't recollect the exact details now but a quick search on the net (or What Hi Fi Magazine india for distributors) should throw up the results. I remember this rather well established outlet which had really good listening rooms and gear in Guwahati way back in 2007 and were the authorised distributors for Onkyo, Wharfedale and KEF.

There are some good high end audio stores in Guwahati if you can make the trip. I can't recollect the exact details now but a quick search on the net (or What Hi Fi Magazine india for distributors) should throw up the results. I remember this rather well established outlet which had really good listening rooms and gear in Guwahati way back in 2007 and were the authorised distributors for Onkyo, Wharfedale and KEF.

I'm happy to hear that, i will definitely inquire about it in the future so long as this ongoing human malware thing gets resolved.

whats the room size...can you experiment by playing it in a smaller room. if its a bigger room, combo maynot be enough to fill the room...which can be easily fixed by a decent sub woofer...

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back