MKV files on LG CX OLED

ramnikchhabra

Trying to play MKV files on my LG OLED using a HDD. While the video plays; it plays in HDR and not Dolby Vision. Also colours seem a bit out of whack and no Atmos either. Any suggestions on how to tweak the settings or any cost effective media player I can buy?

Trying to play MKV files on my LG OLED using a HDD. While the video plays; it plays in HDR and not Dolby Vision. Also colours seem a bit out of whack and no Atmos either. Any suggestions on how to tweak the settings or any cost effective media player I can buy?
Hi, Install kodi or vlc media player and try playing through them

Dolby vision never works directly via MKV . It's the format limitation and it's how it is on all TVs. Every mkv file with Dolby vision will be shown in base HDR layer and that's normal. For dolby vision u either need the 4K UHD disc itself via 4K player or some software which can play the movie via BDMV folder structure entirely copied from the 4K UHD disc on to HDD. Else it nearly never works

I play lot of 4K UHD HDR mkvs daily on my LG G2 and they come absolutely fine and beautiful there is absolutely no problem with colors, sharpess or HDR. I watch everything in filmmaker (HDR) mode

For sound I am not 100% certain because I don't have atmos setup but it should ideally work with right settings tweaked in sound menu. Most importantly your home theatre should flag as atmos capable else eARC will.not send atmos signal to the HT and will dilute it to base Dolby 5.1 layer

Dolby vision never works directly via MKV . It's the format limitation and it's how it is on all TVs. Every mkv file with Dolby vision will be shown in base HDR layer and that's normal. For dolby vision u either need the 4K UHD disc itself via 4K player or some software which can play the movie via BDMV folder structure entirely copied from the 4K UHD disc on to HDD. Else it nearly never works
This is false, this restriction has been removed with update to metadata tools last year. DM me, I can share some MKV files with DV working.

Thanks all. Finally just invested in a Zidoo media player connected to my AVR. Plays MKV files in DV & DA uncompressed. Added advantage is the posterwall etc. Satisfied so far.

Currently, there are a large number of media players. For example, Elmedia Player, IINA Player, 5K Player, Plex. I recently came across a good article, it talks about the top media players https://mac.eltima.com/best-mkv-players/, their disadvantages, and functions. It is very useful, it is so easy to choose for yourself or learn something new.
If you are interested, you can read it.

This is false, this restriction has been removed with update to metadata tools last year. DM me, I can share some MKV files with DV working.
Hello sir,
Are you able to share more details about this? I'm facing the same issue and never found a way to be able to do this.
Sorry don't see a DM button.

Everytime i have a DV .mkv it gets trown back to regular HDR.
Only works with .mp4 DV files.

if you prefer send me an email and we talk if you don't mind: [email protected]

Just made an account in this website just to ask you this lol.

Last edited:
Hello sir,
Are you able to share more details about this? I'm facing the same issue and never found a way to be able to do this.
Sorry don't see a DM button.

Everytime i have a DV .mkv it gets trown back to regular HDR.
Only works with .mp4 DV files.

if you prefer send me an email and we talk if you don't mind: [email protected]

Just made an account in this website just to ask you this lol.
Which app are you playing these with? Plex works for my use case.

You might be using dual layer DV file with an incompatible player

Which app are you playing these with? Plex works for my use case.

You might be using dual layer DV file with an incompatible player
Using Plex, running on a MacBook Air M1.
The files i mentioned earlier that are thrown back are dual layer (hybrid) .mkv files.

This is the behavior of a DV only .mkv file: (blurred colors, blue and pink/purple)

IMG-6359.jpg

Last edited:
Using Plex, running on a MacBook Air M1.
The files i mentioned earlier that are thrown back are dual layer (hybrid) .mkv files.

This is the behavior of a DV only .mkv file: (blurred colors, blue and pink/purple)

IMG-6359.jpg
Which TV and OS?

This seems like the platform you’re using for Plex doesn’t support Dolby vision.

I faced the same problem in my LG OLED G2. Tried every method that was online. But the most Simple solution that worked for me was buy a basic Zidoo Z9X player. worked like a charm. Even two of my 4K DV had purple /green tint. but that zidoo box fixes everything. I have read that even Nvidia shield works for the same purpose.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back