Mobile Fidelity GOLD CD-R s

kaushik

These claim to have golden coating to prevent from scratches etc .
Better reflective surface for better reading by players .

I have seen other Cd-rs too marked GOLD. These cost a little more 40% than normal CD R.

I use CD-rs to play music making copy pf my original CDs , so that Originals remain as it is .

Are there any real facts supporting the claims ???

Kaushik

Hi,

Kaushik there are plenty of these so called gold CDs which cost more in the name of "GOLD" !! but till date Am yet to see one real CDR which does what it claims apart from the Original old Kodak Gold,Now that was the real deal, all others well you know it:p !!

Have tried almost all the brands which sells these,for Ex Verbatim,Mitsubishi,MoserBear,etc but all are of same substrate and compound with some minor changes here and there !! Though Am yet to see or try the one you've mentioned ! please let me know where's it available and how much does it cost ??

Regards.

I picked up some "GOLD" CDRs from Moser Baer, and they are CRAP :mad:

They are really the same Re-writable Dye as the regular CDs, with a Golden Background tint given to them.

My aging CD Player refuses to even read them, though it will read regular CDRs. Clearly the 'Gold " is not as good as the regular...

Hold these against the light, and you can see Right Through them. Hence, obviously, a lot of the CD player's Laser's Light is going Right thru the Gold CDR rather than being reflected back to the lens where it is to be detected.

I dont have a Kodak Gold CDR on hand to check out, but do keep in mind that the CDR is COMPLETELY different from a pressed CD. The Pressed CD has a Highly reflective coat, in which the microscopic pits are punched.

A CDR has a dye who's relectivity permanantly changes, when struck by the recording laser. The change is reflectivity for ANY CDR is less than 50% of a Pressed CD.

Take a look, and even the eye can tell in the HUGE difference between a CD & a CDR.

The Mo Fi CDRs are Ultra Premium ( Price too ! :p ) and are easily one of the best CDRs you can buy ... still not a Patch on the pressed CD.

Atlest for HiFi Music playback, the CDR will ( probabl;y ? ) be replaced soon by the HDD.... though I personally speculate the the CD will be around for a while..

Just my ( Opinionated ) 2 cents...:rolleyes:

Thnak you soundsgreat and IndianEars ...very much !

i knew about the pressed CD advantages,
CDR_s i use as a backup copy for frequent playback of originals ...:D!

i got more tha expected info on the GLD CDR marketing tag .....

hey soundsgreat[shreekanth] is joking about kodak Gold reel here/there is no kodak CDR .... am i right !

Hi,

Indian Buddy its already understood !! thanks a lot anyway for refreshing us with the update !!

hey soundsgreat[shreekanth] is joking about kodak Gold reel here/there is no kodak CDR .... am i right !

Kaushik buddy,Am not talking bout the gold negative !! Am talking bout the CDR from Kodak that was available some years back !! it had a premium coating and was almost scratch proof and had very very good life !!

Am sure you are not aware of this !! hence your statement !!

Regards.

I picked up some "GOLD" CDRs from Moser Baer, and they are CRAP :mad:

They are really the same Re-writable Dye as the regular CDs, with a Golden Background tint given to them.

My aging CD Player refuses to even read them, though it will read regular CDRs. Clearly the 'Gold " is not as good as the regular...

Hold these against the light, and you can see Right Through them. Hence, obviously, a lot of the CD player's Laser's Light is going Right thru the Gold CDR rather than being reflected back to the lens where it is to be detected.

One trick I read about is to paint the surface (the one that has the label) with a permanent marker. You will lose the label, but once the painting is over, you can stick another label on top. Green color is preferable, but black will do.

Cheers

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back