Modding jamo drivers

corElement

As some of you already know I got my pc ht recently setup, its driven by a 5.0 setup of jamos.

I like 'ALMOST' everything about them - except a little weakness in the upper mid range, its there but not very upfront.

I was wonderring, since I have two med ranges in both towers, 1 high and 1 low, would it be possible to do some DIY stuff and interchange ONE of both the tower meds with superior med range drivers.

What all would I have to consider ( I have no idea of diy stuff ) would it totally screw my intact speakers sensitivity / db / tibre etc etc.

Please give me some ideas on what could be the possibilities. I really like my towers and didnt kind of like even the higher end models, something about the sound which just does it for me, im hoping maybe theres a possibility of FURTHER improving it with an additional unique med ( out of 2 ) in both towers.

This is the model

Specs

System Type 3-way bassreflex
Woofer (mm/in) 254 /10
Midrange (mm/in) 2 x 165 / 6
Tweeter (mm/in) 25 / 1
Power (W, long/short term) 200 / 300
Sensitivity (dB, 2.8V/1m) 92
Frequency Range (Hz) 40 - 20,000
Impedence (Ohm) 6
Weight (kg/lb) 21.2 / 46.3
Product dimensions (mm/in, HxWxD) 970 x 215 x 369 / 38.2 x 8.5 x 14.5
Overall dimensions (mm/in, HxWxD) 1000 x 215 x 369 / 39.4 x 8.5 x 14.5
Finishes Anthracite Metal

S 718 Floorstanding Speaker - Specs

I dont even know if its even possible lol..im pretty oblivious to the physical interiors of speakers.

You could upgrade the Crossover components ,,but really not sure if playing around with the drivers is recommended . If it is really important for you, you may be better off trying to sell this and get a different speaker which gives you that sound.

Hmm, I think I'll just abandon the thought, I'm not dissatisfied with the sound, its just that I'm used to hearing nothing but raw midrange from computer full range speakers for 5 years, it feels a bit weird but for that matter the other towers I audionted for came short in many other things my ears seemed to like than this pair, so I'll just let my brain adapt. The freq's arent missing, just like, this is how I would rate it.

highs 90% presence
upper meds 67% presence
meds 86% presence
lower meds 90% presence
lows 90% presence

where as my previous setup was like

highs - 50%
upper meds 80%
meds 80%
lower meds 30%
lows 50%

So I suppose its just my ears which I need to unlearn. oh well. I didnt have anymore budget anyway XD

Hmm, I think I'll just abandon the thought, I'm not dissatisfied with the sound, its just that I'm used to hearing nothing but raw midrange from computer full range speakers for 5 years, it feels a bit weird but for that matter the other towers I audionted for came short in many other things my ears seemed to like than this pair, so I'll just let my brain adapt. The freq's arent missing, just like, this is how I would rate it.

highs 90% presence
upper meds 67% presence
meds 86% presence
lower meds 90% presence
lows 90% presence

highs - 50%
upper meds 80%
meds 80%
lower meds 30%
lows 50%

So I suppose its just my ears which I need to unlearn. oh well. I didnt have anymore budget anyway XD

Just curious..but how do you know if the above "problem" is due to the speakers or the amp/CDP ? not sure what the rest of your setup is.

highs 90% presence
upper meds 67% presence
meds 86% presence
lower meds 90% presence
lows 90% presence

highs - 50%

upper meds 80%
meds 80%
lower meds 30%
lows 50%

Forgive me, but you were NOT hearing any "Raw midrange" or anything close to "raw" from any computer speaker.

What you were hearing was a very mid dominated sound (with tons of distortion) due to lack of any extension towards both extremes in the computer speakers.

If you like mids, you should be looking at some mid dominant loudspeaker. The good ones can be very expensive. The mids are the most difficult to achieve in a loudspeaker.

I have a strange feeling that you may like single driver full range loudspeakers :)

Just curious..but how do you know if the above "problem" is due to the speakers or the amp/CDP ? not sure what the rest of your setup is.

Because I connected my previous speakers to the amp and they delivered the same sound as they did on their previous amp, they had the dominating mid ranges as they did before.

Forgive me, but you were NOT hearing any "Raw midrange" or anything close to "raw" from any computer speaker.

What you were hearing was a very mid dominated sound (with tons of distortion) due to lack of any extension towards both extremes in the computer speakers.

If you like mids, you should be looking at some mid dominant loudspeaker. The good ones can be very expensive. The mids are the most difficult to achieve in a loudspeaker.

I have a strange feeling that you may like single driver full range loudspeakers :)

Yes, I meant dominating mid, sorry im not too well versed with the finer words of audio discerning yet. But yes, I was used to a dominating mid for 5 years and I got really bored of it at the end, couldnt tolerate it after one point.

Now that I have a new 5.0 ht which I carefully picked, I'm enjoying the sound a lot more than my previous comp setup but still in the process of getting used to not picking up certain dominant que's which used to be prominent in a lot of songs previously. I think thats the crux of the matter. Because the que's are there.. just not as UPFRONT as before. This is pretty subjective - kind of two sided in my own head depending on mood :lol:.

You are correct, but only when it comes to vocal music with instruments. For that I listen to my 1975 philips lh-718 stereo amp with 2 philips full range bookshelves :yahoo:. My 5.0 setup on the other hand is connected to my pc for games music and movies etc general usage.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back