Modding lepai amplifier

krishtrinity

I got a lepai 2020 amp,even though its good for the money I find the sound quality is severely lacking obviously because it is designed that way.I found some posts that shows some modifications to internal components which can improve sound quality,if anyone of you have done this project some advice is appreciated.

Can you post internal pictures. Imo it requires change in output coils and input capacitors. Also PS electrolyte filters do need change.

What are you powering it with? Upgrading this MIGHT make the most significant difference.

What op-amp's are used? Upgrading them MIGHT make the next most significant difference.

Then, doing what Om suggested MIGHT make the next most significant difference.

......I have very limited knowledge of the electronics side......

If you want to do this on your own , you better be VERY careful. De-soldering parts if you are not expert at it can kill the pcb !
A simple way to try and up grade the sound is to use a higher capacity power supply ( higher amps not voltage !) .
The article claimed it to be better than a 400 Euro Cambridge amp. Do you really think you will improve it much more ? Maybe you should try improving other things first. Like interconnects , speaker wires and the speaker itself. Maybe the source also ! Have you tried it with a better signal source ?

Lot of things you can do before meddling with the board, especially when you don't know much about it ! ;)

If you want to do this on your own , you better be VERY careful. De-soldering parts if you are not expert at it can kill the pcb !
A simple way to try and up grade the sound is to use a higher capacity power supply ( higher amps not voltage !) .
The article claimed it to be better than a 400 Euro Cambridge amp. Do you really think you will improve it much more ? Maybe you should try improving other things first. Like interconnects , speaker wires and the speaker itself. Maybe the source also ! Have you tried it with a better signal source ?

Lot of things you can do before meddling with the board, especially when you don't know much about it ! ;)
Lepai is an average sounding t class amp,nowhere near in the same realm of a dedicated integerated amplifier.I have no problem if the amp gets damaged when doing modifications,should I change the capacitors,resistors to higher quality to better sound?

What are you powering it with? Upgrading this MIGHT make the most significant difference.

What op-amp's are used? Upgrading them MIGHT make the next most significant difference.

Then, doing what Om suggested MIGHT make the next most significant difference.
Right now using an old Sony bookshelfs with them,powered by 12 v 5 a power supply.It is t class amp other than that don't know much about the amp.It lacks bass so I like to focus on upgrades to improve the bass response of the amp,there doesn't seem to be any bass below 100hz

Last edited:
BTW if you are less confident then please take help. Its easy to destroy cheap PCBs and this particular amplifier is very sensitive.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back