Modern Idler Drive Turnable

sandeepmohan

I know some of you love this sort of drive and sound from this particular type of turntable. I have never owned one so cannot comment. While we have many direct and belt driven turntables come back to the market, an idler wheel drive based turntable is no longer made. A company based in Portugal has come out with a turntable that basically improves on the design of an idler wheel system. They call it Epicyclic Drive.

https://sempersonus.com/

To me, the good idler wheel TTs like Garrard 301,401with it's heavy platter and large idler wheels can generate torque and deliver an imediacy, no other systems can boast of. The charm in the vintage idler wheels is that the music delivers a vintage sound singnature, that many new high end models cannot deliver. I don't know how this new model would sound.

A friend of mine, without talking to anyone, recently donated his fully working Gerard 401 to a charity in Goa, who sold it in a sale to an unknown buyer, probably for a few hundred rupees. So it goes......

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back