Mogami 2549, what's with it

Wow

I just chanced upon this thread
Didn't know there was a threaded dedicated to the 2549!!

One of the most underrated budget interconnects from the house of mogami - japan

Glad to see so many fans

The cable is truly lovely
Inexpensive and comes with mogami's lifetime warranty ( which we abide by)

I don't think there is actually a better Ic
For its price bracket

Good to see a fanclub

Mogami Would love to get feedback on how it can do better
And so would us ( Soundfoundations )
@magma Since you're the distributor for mogami, is there any update from them whether in future all their ICs will be labeled directionally?

The 2549
Does come with a heatshrink that shows direction

The 3106
Is directional according to the text on the cable

Mogami 3106 also appears to be shielded like the 2549. So when wired directional, it has to be terminated at the source and left open at the output end to prevent any possibility of interference. For systems that are immune to ground loops, it is better to leave the shield open at both ends for improved clarity.

Just tried Mogami for the first time. Got my 2549 and I've been absolutely relishing it in the last few days. Many thanks to @firearm12 for bringing this thread to life. And thanks @magma for the custom termination!

Sure Captain, but I had a doubt like the bare cable sale description says "Ortofon 8NX OCC Hifi RCA XLR Bulk Cable For Diy High Pure Copper Audio Interconnect Bulk Cable" and costs around Rs.850/mtr whereas the finished cable the description says "Hifi A55 Ortofon RCA Cable Hi-end CD Amplifier Interconnect 2RCA to 2RCA Male Audio Cable" and costs around Rs. 2,057. Finished cable does not say anywhere its 8NX OCC which makes it different :) Also cost wise Rs. 1200/- for a pair of fancy bullet type RCA connectors and soldering cost I got a doubt.

thanks
Any update?

I heard out an IC made with Mogami W2549 (with Switchcraft RCAs).
It has a very nice presentation in my rig. Detailed, airy and wide soundstage.
Great VFM.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hey Guys, I’m looking to build a pair of XLR Mogami cable 2549. Anyone having an unterminated cable of 1-1.5M pair please PM. Thanks

I have Mogami W2497 and find the presentation neutral and deep.
It's a great cablea level up from the 2549

The 2497
As you said it is not only deep it's a larger than. Life sounding cable
Big presentation

Thats where it differs from most other cables

It's a great cablea level up from the 2549

The 2497
As you said it is not only deep it's a larger than. Life sounding cable
Big presentation

Thats where it differs from most other cables
Magma, Can the 2497 be used for building a XLR, coz it says “Rca-Rca” on your site.

Magma, Can the 2497 be used for building a XLR, coz it says “Rca-Rca” on your site.
No it cannot. It's a single core plus shield ( pure coax) Cable. It cannot be used in balanced format

The best cable to use in XLR / balanced format is the mogami 3173 followed by the most popular recording cable; 2549.

The 3173 also doubles up as the best AES digi cable in the mastering and recording industry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back