Mogami & Italian Reference DIY RCA Interconnects

Excellent Joshua. Build and quality is great.
Would you elaborate on the costing?
Cable cost per metre?
Connector cost? etc...
Regards
Cables sourced from Pace Communications Mumbai Pace Communications

Cable Costing - About INR 95/- per meter.
Connector details I've posted already.

Cheers...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank god..these cables and connectors are not supplied by CIA,KGB or Mossad...otherwise those who are running consultancy would have charge 10kUSD....thanks guys for letting us know the build,price and source...

Cables sourced from Pace Communications Mumbai Pace Communications

Cable Costing - About INR 95/- per meter.
Connector details I've posted already.

Cheers...
How do I contact them via email?
And do they ship? What is their minimum order quantity?

Sorry for nagging questions , but please bear with me.

Regards

How do I contact them via email?
And do they ship?
What is their minimum order quantity?

Sorry for nagging questions , but please bear with me.

Regards

Sure, no problem. You can contact them directly over phone and then send them an email with you confirmed order and shipping address.

No minimum order required for the connectors. And for the cables, they typically sell in rolls but if they do have a cut roll they will give you what you need.

Cheers...

amazing DIY work, looks like you bought them from a shop, time for me to upgrade from my MXcable based interconnects

so
you know the secret!!!
^^^^^^
this is how it actually should be done

Not a very big secret:lol:

I have made a couple of cables that way. There is the additional task of marking directions. Frankly I didn't hear a difference:) though the electrons were shown clear directions in which to move in orderly fashion ;)

But it is supposedly good to break ground loops, so may be useful for phono interconnects. Also, if we know for sure that a cable has been drawn in a particular direction, I have read that it is best to use the same direction for signal flow.

jls,

in the metal cutting industry, folks prefer to cut metal in the direction of the draw of steel. It leads to lesser distortions.

I wonder if there is a similarity.

Have experienced this myself in flame cutting steel of very high thickness.

sorry.. dont want to be OT.

regards
mpw

A quick and dirty listening comparo between the Mogami 2806 and the Reference Lab RMIC05 (in my setup, when swapped between the CDP and Preamp):

1) The RMIC05 has less flatter/neutral frequency response compared to the Mogami 2806. The RMIC05 has more pronounced mids and highs. It's fairly obvious, though it is not night/day difference.
2) Bass is evenly matched
3) Both are nearly evenly matched on resolution, soundstage width and depth.

By virtue of it having better extension in the highs, the Reference Lab sounded less constricted (more open) and perhaps just a wee bit more resolving. Also the slightly more pronounced midrange response makes the presence region stand out, spotlighting vocals.

The Mogami would be ideal to tame hot-ish treble, and make a forward sounding setup a bit laidback. It is unfatiguing for long listening sessions. However it won't suit an already dull-sounding setup.

The Reference Lab on the other hand, I think, will assimilate into more systems. At least that's my initial conclusion after the short comparision of these cables. Both cables are freshly made and yet to be cooked. 25-30 hours could possibly change equations dramatically.

I've been clocking some good amount of listening time with the Italian Reference RMIC05 paired with the 401. I quite seem to like this. Its extremely detailed and love the way the vocals stand out.

Will keep you posted on the Mogami.

I am also planning to make another set and have these connected to one of me 1200s.

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I made a Gothan GAC-2 IC and used it between TT and Phono, it sounded better (detailing, smoothness) than the Sommer cable I was using earlier.
-sann'

Today I have made RCA cable from Gautham GAC2. Thanks Joshua for cables. I have used Rean connectors. I have used it at output from CNC phono stage to Pass B1. The sq has improved very much. It sounds very open, good soundstage, imaging etc. It is definitely an improvement over my previous Amozan Basics cables.

Regards
Sachin

Last edited:
Hi Guys,
I made a Gothan GAC-2 IC and used it between TT and Phono, it sounded better (detailing, smoothness) than the Sommer cable I was using earlier.
-sann'

HI Sann, In Pune where can I get the Gothan GAC-2 cables and which connectors you used.

HI Justin,
You can get it at Melody pro, Koregaon park. I have used neutrik NYS373, got them from Kiran sales Mumbai.
-sann'

Last edited:
Any idea which Mogami would be best for purely phono interconnect? I had read somewhere that Jelco's (not too costly) tonearm cables are Mogami. I am guessing it would be coaxial with vanishing capacitance and not dual core balanced cable like the W2549 or W2806.

For pure phono interconnect 2549 does best when used as RCA interconnects and 2534 for balanced phono connection. 2803 beats them all.

I had the opportunity to make another IC using the Belden "Brilliance" 1855A mini RG 59 coaxial cable. This one has an inner foil shielding surrounded by tinned copper braid shield. Core is solid copper of 23 AWG. This cable is sold by Blue Jeans Cables too for digital interconnects (IIRC). It is actually an HD TV cable rated to 4.5 GHz. Capacitance is just 16.3 pF/ft.

Sound is very PRATty and lively, it almost feels like the CD is spinning faster than usual. Mids and highs are good, but bass is still in hiding. Perhaps more hours will bring it forth from its reticence.

After some extended listening, it struck me - Dude, but where's my decay? I then realised that the seeming urgency displayed by the cable was due to the abbreviated decay. I'm not sure if things will improve with use but, prima facie, it doesn't seem to be a signature I favour for my setup. I was attracted to it due to the dual shields (foil is good for rejecting magnetic fields and braid shield takes care of electrical fields), and the low, low capacitance, and had hoped to use it between tonearm and step-up. It will work for a setup that needs a dose of liveliness and PRAT.

PS: I have one more cable to try out - a Helusound balanced mic cable from Germany. It also has foil and braid shielding.
Even better if you can find a Mogami 2803 cable. I am yet to see one on sale but it is supposedly the best mogami cable. I would love to buy one if I could find.
2803 available here: ??????????????????

A quick DIY guide with illustrations for anybody wanting to make their own RCA interconnects:
Belden 89259 DIY RCA Hi-Fi Interconnect Cables
I'm quite enjoying how the Italian Reference cable is turning out to be. After some burn-in I find this cable quite explosive. Great detail with some amazing imaging and soundstage. Bass is even better now and much tighter.

Cheers...

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back