Monitor Audio BR5 / BR6

To the OP - I believe there are better speakers that one can get at the BR5 price point. If floorstanders are what you prefer, then the Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3 is a brilliant speaker.

As otherwise, the RS1 is anyday a better speaker per se than the BR5. My main problem with the BR5 is the 'cupped hands' quality of voices. It is not the speaker I would buy if I were to listen to a lot of classical stuff. Plus it is not outstanding in any one area.

How would you compare Quad L series compared to MA Silver series?

Sincere apologies to OP for discussing out of topic here.

I'm seriously considering changing my amp, the amps am considering are,

CA 650A
NAD 355 BEE
NAD 372
Marantz PM7003

Bryston, which model, and how much ?

i dont think you would get too much of a difference from changing to ca650a. the signatures in musical output will be pretty much the same. though the rs6 is an easy speaker to drive i would still suggest the 372 over the 355. havent heard the marantz on it so cant comment.

as for the bryston you would be looking at the bryston 2b sst http://bryston.com/ampsel.htmlthough quite expensive retailing in usa between 2500 to 3000 usd.

im right now planning to buy a chinese amp
http://badahi-fi.com/detail.asp?proid=100072. if you play around with the link a bit in google search you'll be able to get a link that converts it into english. but basic specifications are that it can go upto 30w in class a and there on upto 160w in class b at 8 ohms. the chinese high end amplifiers are proving to be right up there with the big boys in performance, build quality etc. and at half the price or less of what it competes with. slowly catching on in america, europe and australia. havent read a bad review about them. and they leave the likes of nad / cambridge far behind

link to the bada website http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translat...badahi-fi.com/&lp=zh_en&.intl=us&fr=slv8-msgr

Last edited:
Hi,

For people interested in the silver series of MA, the RS6 is a very good speaker, from all reports, including actual users. Our forum member "particleman" uses the RS6 with Arcam FMJ A28 amp (at around 70-75K), and according to him and dinyaar, the results are fantastic. Arcam amps are very clean sounding and sobre and they go very well with the lively RS6. Currently particleman has further upgraded his source to the Arcam FMJ CD37 and is not posting anymore here, perhaps very busy listening :).

BTW, my guess is that the Arcam FMJ A18 amp (their cheapest at approx Rs 45-50K) also should go well with the MA silver series.

On the Denons, yes, some 20 years ago they used to produce excellent 2-channel electronics. Over the years, their focus has shifted somewhat to the home theatre market, but more expensive items should still be good. I have heard that their current 1500 (costing RS 55K) and 2000 (Rs 1.2 L) amps are quite good. But obviously at that price point, there would be other good options, so one has to audition different available amps and see what one likes.

hey afj, that's a very interesting amp. Where are you buying it from and for how much? And when :)

i dont think you would get too much of a difference from changing to ca650a. the signatures in musical output will be pretty much the same. though the rs6 is an easy speaker to drive i would still suggest the 372 over the 355. havent heard the marantz on it so cant comment.

as for the bryston you would be looking at the bryston 2b sst Bryston Limited - Music For A Generationthough quite expensive retailing in usa between 2500 to 3000 usd.

http://badahi-fi.com/detail.asp?proid=100072

Smedhavi also has the RS6 speakers, paired with nad 372 and he is quite happy with the pairing and power. He also purchased a nad phono pre.

Hi,

For people interested in the silver series of MA, the RS6 is a very good speaker, from all reports, including actual users. Our forum member "particleman" uses the RS6 with Arcam FMJ A28 amp (at around 70-75K), and according to him and dinyaar, the results are fantastic. Arcam amps are very clean sounding and sobre and they go very well with the lively RS6. Currently particleman has further upgraded his source to the Arcam FMJ CD37 and is not posting anymore here, perhaps very busy listening :).

BTW, my guess is that the Arcam FMJ A18 amp (their cheapest at approx Rs 45-50K) also should go well with the MA silver series.

On the Denons, yes, some 20 years ago they used to produce excellent 2-channel electronics. Over the years, their focus has shifted somewhat to the home theatre market, but more expensive items should still be good. I have heard that their current 1500 (costing RS 55K) and 2000 (Rs 1.2 L) amps are quite good. But obviously at that price point, there would be other good options, so one has to audition different available amps and see what one likes.

hey afj, that's a very interesting amp. Where are you buying it from and for how much? And when :)

their distribution network isnt so great yet. its quite freely available in america, europe and australia. i'll be importing it from china i guess. it costs about 850 usd fob china. havent yet bitten the bullet but nearly there. hopefully will pick it up within the next 2-3 months. will definitely post a review if i get it

if youre interested in chinese amps take a look at this site
English

check out brands like jungson (100w pure class a amplification), classic (tube amps), dusson (big power but apparently clinical - good for rock)

Last edited:

as for the bryston you would be looking at the bryston 2b sst Bryston Limited - Music For A Generationthough quite expensive retailing in usa between 2500 to 3000 usd.

http://badahi-fi.com/detail.asp?proid=100072

Thanks to OP, some interesting discussion has started...Thanks for those chinese amps links. Yes, your right indeed the upgrade from 640A to 650A would be rather sideways than a big jump in SQ, so am not going the 650A way, but i guess 740A and 840A would rather be nice upgrade as there is a big boost in SQ from 740 onwards.

The Arcam amps mentioned here would sound lovely with the RS6, but they're quite expensive.

How would you compare Quad L series compared to MA Silver series?

Unfortunately I have not had any serious audition with the Quad L series though I would love to have one. In Chennai they are not represented sadly.

The RS1 is a very sweet bookshelf and it would take an excellent speaker to just match its quality. Personal preferences though - you should apportion some space for that too. For example, I much prefer the sound of EPOS over Monitor Audio. And the difference is not huge by any means. The overall character - being laid back - is shared between the two makes. But strengths and weaknesses differ. Ultimately what you like in the long term is what you should buy.

But the trick is - you probably dont know this through just an audition of an hour or two or even three. It takes extended listening with various genres of music to get down to that 'made for you' speaker. At least that was the way it was for me:)

Well I asked that question because even I was not really able to audition two side by side to the extent I would - and with my genres of music.

Ultimately went ahead and bought Quad 11L2, because they sounded the best (to me) in midrange.

Actually I read a review, and felt that whatever I choose outta these, I am not gonna make a wrong choice.

All I want to know now is that what are the sound difference, (note I don't use words like better or worse :)

The speakers they listed were:
Acoustic Energy Aelite One
B&W DM602 S3
KEF iQ3
Mission M60i
Monitor Audio Silver RS1
Quad 11L2
Usher S520

In fact I shall try to attach the zip file of the review.
filehosting.org - free unlimited filehosting

Even I liked the EPOS M5 when I auditioned it 4 years back. It sounds great at very low volumes. It distorts as soon as you increase the volume. So for very small rooms, or for near field listening I would highly recommend the EPOS M5. I did not like EPOS's bigger speakers as much. M5 has a magical warmth in its mid-range. You can hear the nuances in the throat of a male singer. This characteristic is absent in their larger speakers, but are shared by MA RS1 and RS6. Please note that this is the same effect that some people dislike and call 'cupped' sound. You will not like it if you are mostly into instrumental music alone.

Thanks,
Sharad

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back