Monitor Audio GS-60 on a Marantz AV8003 and MM8003

LIZARDKING

I AM CONFUSED ABOUT WHICH SPEAKER WOULD BE SUITABLE FOR A ROOM 14ft/12ft a GS-20 OR GS-60 WITH THE GSFX CENTRE TWO DEFINITIVE TECH SUB WOOFERS AND WILL BE GETTING SURROUND AFTER DECIDEING THE FLOORSTANDERS,

2 Subwoofer in a 14 by 12 feet room? Check your ears mate. Thats too small room for 2 subwoofers and the bass will dominate the mid and Hi freq. Have heard the GS 60, very good sound and looks sexy:licklips:

2 Subwoofer in a 14 by 12 feet room? Check your ears mate. Thats too small room for 2 subwoofers and the bass will dominate the mid and Hi freq. Have heard the GS 60, very good sound and looks sexy:licklips:

@ soundofmusic: Too true...

Dood, the Monitor's are very bassy in themselves.... You might want to do some serious speaker and amp and sub and Sab kuch matching!

Trust your own ears on this. The rooms dynamics + your present equipment + the new speakers... They all have to work together.....

On their own, The Moniotors ROCK!!!

but you gotta take some time and effort out to match your set up or else, you'll have some pretty decent equipment that does not match...

I am using dali ikon 6 and vokal 2 presently and enjoy the bass of both subs, i switch off one when i need and sometimes use both. And the dimensions of the room is 14/14 with sound proofing and the walls have fabric on it, my earlier amp marantz 7002 was returned cause the power was insufficient after the sound proofing was done ( end result was deadening my room tremendously.) What do you suggest i do get gs 60 and use one sub or get gs20 and use both please help. Is gs 60 ok with 14/14 room size. And yeah i had recently picked up Paradigm ADP390 surrounds for i had decided to get the studio reference 100 by Paradigm but now i am keen on Monitor Audio gold signature. Please help and advice what would be the best move and i do want the gsfx too over the Paradigm or should i not bother for a while and use the paradigm before i find myself in a financial mess.

Last edited:
Hi Lizard:

You already have an excellent floorstander (Ikon 6), and I also think your choice of GS20/GS60 are sure an upgrade and not a sideways one, well done.
Having said that, you've got a typical squarish and small room, and you've got to be careful now regarding the speakers as it's going to be an upgrade - the quality of sound has to go hand-in-hand with your room size.

Ok, your room is acoustically treated, but still its a small room, and my choice of speakers for your room would be MA GS20 and a single sub. I also think that it'll be an overkill for your room and the SQ in general if you go for MA GS60 and two subs.

:)

if you keep the gain low..2 subwoofers would be ideal..and you would have less boom with 2 of them !
I would actually recommend 2 over one -but you must keep the gain low..subwoofers presence should not be felt..only their absence !

Hi Lizardking

How does the Marantz AV 8003 and MM8003 sound with the Ikon 6 Package. I am having the same Marantz Combo and finding it difficult to accommodate in my 20ft by 14ft room. Could you please PM me your contact number?

David.

Marantz AV8003 AND MM8003 are super and they do sound great, i earlier had my Dali Ikon 6 and centre vokal 2 with a Marantz 7002 in the room with no accoustics but since lack of power in this deadened room i picked up the power and receiver and want to stick to them till i have some serious money to spend on high end power amps (CHORD, BRYSTON etc...) the Dalis sound great to me on the Marantz dont get rid of it...

if you keep the gain low..2 subwoofers would be ideal..and you would have less boom with 2 of them !
I would actually recommend 2 over one -but you must keep the gain low..subwoofers presence should not be felt..only their absence !

i am not removing i am using both. love 2 together and i move them around sometimes one behind my seating position and enjoy the extra vibration. if women do then why cant us men..lol....

Hi Lizard:

You already have an excellent floorstander (Ikon 6), and I also think your choice of GS20/GS60 are sure an upgrade and not a sideways one, well done.
Having said that, you've got a typical squarish and small room, and you've got to be careful now regarding the speakers as it's going to be an upgrade - the quality of sound has to go hand-in-hand with your room size.

Ok, your room is acoustically treated, but still its a small room, and my choice of speakers for your room would be MA GS20 and a single sub. I also think that it'll be an overkill for your room and the SQ in general if you go for MA GS60 and two subs.

:)

my amp is 145rms at 8ohms (200rms at 6ohms) and the gs20 is 150rms at 6ohms is it alright and my speakers wont get damaged at very high volumes?

my amp is 145rms at 8ohms (200rms at 6ohms) and the gs20 is 150rms at 6ohms is it alright and my speakers wont get damaged at very high volumes?

beyond a certain point, you'd damage your ears before you damage the speakers! :lol:

Hey Liz!

Why do you want the upgrade from Dali? What is it that you feel is missing from the sonic spectrum?

As far as I can gather from your post, you say that the room has deadened after sound proofing. What did you get done?

There is difference b/w sound proofing and home theatre acoustics. YOu do the former to stop sound from escaping the room and the latter is done to get the right effects in the room. An amp has to work harder to get the same db level after a room is treated. True. But, there is a chance that if not done properly than you can kill the entire room acoustics. A properly treated room has a proper mix of diffusers and base traps. Too much of either is going to spoil the sound.

Liz if you can share the treatment done in your room and also attach a few pics then perhaps we can help you better.

Also, the upgrade you are planning is a great one. No questions about it. But, you can extract more from it if your room is treated properly.
Two subs are recommended especially in your setup as you have a squarish room. Less resonance and less boom.

Cheers!!

Hi Sumit! and thanks for your input i will send you pictures but before that let me add a bit about my room. I had to sound proof my room cause my 3 year old daughter lives in the next room and all bass was leaving the room so it was impossible for me to watch a film loud enough at nights. I also did over spend for this was my first time and my interior decorator got hold of this chap who wasnt an expert but definitely a greedy theif who made me over spend. Mistakes are learning expierences and i have learnt a good lesson. This vendor put all that he had into my room. The walls have this metal/rubber bracket to act as shock absorbers and sprayed this american saw dust like product called cell bar and on the brackets there is pl 12mm plywood to create a room within a room and then on top another 12mm panel with the same cell bar on which there is fabric. The floor has several layers of foam and cement like sheets and on top a carpet. The ceiling has the same cell bar and a cement sheet and sound proofing rubber membrane and a thin sheet to paint on. Lower half of my walls are made of wooden skirts with moulding 3ft tall and the upper fabric to the height of the door. The rear wall has been treated more than the others, for they will be receiving most from the speakers and subs facing it. This room had to be a combination of both good classy appearance and accoustics so i dont think there is much i can do but bring in my GS60 which i have ordered for and will be getting them by the 17th of this month. The Dalis sound great and i am happy with the sound in my room its just that i have this itch to spend and upgrade.

Last edited:
beyond a certain point, you'd damage your ears before you damage the speakers! :lol:

booked a pair of gs60s and i have lots of work done in my room which cries for more power. using dalis i was getting 87db(Measured) at -10 volume on my marantz and i believe thats safe for human ears. i go -12 max where i get 80 with all 7.2 speakers working on a heavy action scene.

Lizard! Since you have already ordered the GS60, I don' think there is much to debate. Post some pics and then maybe we can fine tune a bit if you are not satisfied with GS60.

Not all done by the professional would be a waste. As much as I can understand, he has used very good stuff. Only thing is that he has probably made an overkill...probably, not sure.

Cheers!

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back