Monitor Audio RX6 or RS6 vs B&W 683

Thanks audio_engr!

Now to the bigger task of convincing the wife how the $2000 speakers (and an amplifier eventually) are gonna enhance our quality of lives by leaps and bounds and lead us to moksha ;)

Btw, when I went to return the demo RS6 to the dealer and told him I am still deciding between them and B&W and to some extent Polk RTi A7, he mentioned that Polks seem to have a larger soundstage by creating it when there is not and making it unnatural; which was just what I was hearing - the Polks seemed to have a larger soundstage than RS6, but the vocals were somewhat hollow-sounding. Just curious how much truth there is to what he said?!

being a resident of US, you should be able to grab a B&W speaker as suggested by audio engineer. all the best in your hunting process.

regards

B&W speakers demand more high-end electronics than MA. If you do have or plan to go for high-end amps/CDPs then go for B&W. I understand Monitor Audios are a tad bright. Since I listen to music not more than 2 hours at a stretch, fatigue is not an issue for me. And in those 1-2 hrs, it really brings the music live for me.

Last edited:
Yes, I checked Audiogon and ebay. The CM9 for $2300 I mentioned are available at Audiogon.
Btw how much are the 's' better; whats the difference? Are the 703 any good? There are a couple of these at audiogon.

Much much better than any 600 series speaker. The 683 is way inferior to a 703 and the CM series though better (IMO) than the 600 s is also not close to the now discontinued 700.

Rgds

Thanks all for the responses! Yes I have read about B&W needing better electronics, and I have been thinking of at least an amp to start with.

One more q - I may also be able to get the old Nautilus 803 for ~ $2400. The 703 for maybe ~2200. Would you say the 803 is a better option? While their condition is stated as 8/10, I am slightly sceptic as it must be anywhere from 8-10 years old. How do these fare over such a period? Keep in mind, this is quite a big expense for me, and I would expect to keep whatever I buy now for at least another 7 or more years. Would you expect an old 803 to keep performing well this long?

I just witnessed a Matrix 805 at my client place and trust me I have never seen and heard anything like this before. I was in love with those, they touched me at an emotional level.

So I am sure they hold their age BUT its important how it was cared! These are built to stand provided they were cared for!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back