moode audio or volumio for boss2 player

I have tried everything but not sure why Volumio is not taking the full screen on my 4K Television. I have attached some images for reference.

I am currently using Allo Boss 2 Player (https://allo.com/sparky/boss2-player.html) which has HDMI output which support upto 4K 60 FPS and I am using a Mini HDMI Cable adapter (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00B2HORKE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and an HDMI cable for the same but not sure what is going wrong that I am not able to get the full screen and by the way this is happening for both Volumio as well as Moode. Kindly suggest. I have already tried this –
The display setting is part of the OS. You need to set the underscan / overscan setting in raspbian os and the resolution as 3840x2160. Also for 4k display you need to set this in /boot/config.txt. If you are a windows user, you can use nano editor. Else you can edit the file using vi editor
hdmi_enable_4kp60=1

EDIT: take help of this document

So over the last 2 -3 days i have been playing around with boss 2 player and also asking queries here etc.

I thank everybody here who in some ways have tried to chip in and help out with their ideas.I am sharing here so that if someone in future faces such issue he/she can read this and understand why its so.

Initially i had installed volumio shared by jestin from allo.I then moved to moode to checked out the SQ diff.I liked it but saw 2 issues:-

1.Volume stays at 0.0db and remote cant be used to change it.Only the control on the boss 2 player can be used and that will again change the moment one disconnects airplay and reconnects.

2.Remote control wont work(its not that one needs it but still..)

I also tried stuff mentioned in this thread and also raised a ticket here

https://moodeaudio.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=4340

Allo after some troubleshooting is of the view that its hardware related.Still i just wanted to be sure and hence installed volumio back again to test.

The volume stays at what you set from UI and also the remote works and can be used to change the volume.

So its kind of a feature as mentioned by tim curtis of Moode in the above link.I have my doubts though as the volume can still be changed using the button on the player except the remote or UI.I will update this as and when i get a clarity on this.
Super useful post. I'm in a similar situation. I mostly use airplay to my Boss 2 with the latest (as on date) Moode. Is there anyone who has had luck with changing the Boss2 hardware volume by using airplay digital volume control? If I understand right this feature may exist in Volumio 3 but atleast with Volumio 2.xx installation on Boss 2 was a real pain. Interestingly, in Roon if you reduce digital volume below 100% the Boss 2 also changes below 0db.

Super useful post. I'm in a similar situation. I mostly use airplay to my Boss 2 with the latest (as on date) Moode. Is there anyone who has had luck with changing the Boss2 hardware volume by using airplay digital volume control? If I understand right this feature may exist in Volumio 3 but atleast with Volumio 2.xx installation on Boss 2 was a real pain. Interestingly, in Roon if you reduce digital volume below 100% the Boss 2 also changes below 0db.
Based on my day long experiments I'll try and answer my own question wrt moode. On airplay moode always resets volume to 0db each time you make any changes to playback. For anyone using this configuration directly to a PA without gain control be VERY careful as this reset to full volume can fry your amp & speakers!
Upnp & roon are much better behaved. With mconnect is could use the boss 2 remote to change hardware volume and mconnect does no funny volume reset like airplay. Roon is even better where digital volume changes sync with hardware volume & you can set a zone volume limit to avoid blow outs!
Tl/dr: seems to be more to do with Airplay than the rpi os.

I would go with Moode. Have been using Moode since last one year, was a breeze via Bubble UPNP. Couple of months back picked up a table on Volumio Premium Subscription to get access to Tidal Connect. Since then it has been a night mare for me. Songs stop in Middle, Needs to be skipped to get it playing. Unfortunately I am still sticking by it, Volumio has a mind of its own, some time it does not give trouble and I am hooked to Tidal Connect. Most time it is a pain.

I would go with Moode. Have been using Moode since last one year, was a breeze via Bubble UPNP. Couple of months back picked up a table on Volumio Premium Subscription to get access to Tidal Connect. Since then it has been a night mare for me. Songs stop in Middle, Needs to be skipped to get it playing. Unfortunately I am still sticking by it, Volumio has a mind of its own, some time it does not give trouble and I am hooked to Tidal Connect. Most time it is a pain.
having used moode and volumio i would also go with moode

Been using moode 7 for sometime now. Just switched to rAudio and it is good. No display on the Boss 2 tiny screen, also cant find a way to change the default settings of the Boss 2 though

Last edited:
Hi Guys, recently picked up one Rpi 2GB varient with boxed official charger for Rs 2000 ( I know its a steal). I need help in mounting my network drive in Moode. Both my PC and Rpi is connected to same network via LAN.

File sharing SMB is turned on .

1667012177707.png

I enter network address as below:
1667012445275.png

I am trying to mount the Songs folder from my Windows 10
1667012659759.png

What am I doing wrong here ? Please help.

i dont know if its my ears playing tricks on me but moode audio seems a lot better than volumio for me.
Same here, I did a comparison between Diet Pi, RoPieee, Volumio, and Moode Audio 2 yrs ago for Roon Endpoint and RoPieee scored better over all others.

When I tried Moode Audio recently, it was much better over RoPieee, especially on the Resolution front.
It had replaced RoPieee as Roon Endpoint and Airplay Endpoint as well. The Native App(web interface) itself isn't buggy anymore.

Does it have to do Anything with current Moode Audio being 64bit version (in Rpi 4 which supports 64bit) off late? Over others being 32bit ?

Does it have to do Anything with current Moode Audio being 64bit version (in Rpi 4 which supports 64bit) off late? Over others being 32bit ?
A lot. I have been using 64 bit on RPI since 2020 and avoid each and every distribution above because they were all 32-bit. Before that my digital music was through a 64 bit Tumbleweed Linux OS on a x86_64 processor. dietpi, volumio, moode are all web based shells which isolate the end user from Linux. The real job is done by linux applications like mpd for most music playback, librespot for spotify, shairport-sync for airplay. The raspberry PI broadcom cpu works on both 32bit and 64 bit. So it is best to use the original RPI os and learn how to use the applications by oneself. But not everyone has the time to learn Linux which is bit heavy for non-techies.

64 bit means less rounding numbers so less errors when manipulating the audio signal. Every change to the signal will be closer to the original quality.

All DSP processing is done in floating point format and then in the final output stage the floating point data is converted to the DACs native input format which is always a signed integer of 16 up to 32-bit width.

32-bit precision is useful to save CPU and battery because majority of CPUs have native hardware support 32-bit floating point arithmetic. It will provide enough resolution (SNR) for all modern DACs and amplifiers which is maximum 144.49 dB (we can use only fractional part of 32-bit floating point number for the output to the DAC which is 24-bit). Therefore 32-bit floating processing mode is the best common mode which provides a good trade off between CPU/power consumption and final sound quality.

64-bit precision moves the quality of the sound processing to the next level. Modern 64-bit CPUs offer native hardware support for 64-bit floating point math, so there is no much CPU overhead in comparison with 32-bit CPUs. Much higher precision allows to avoid the loss of the valuable bits with audio data during digital sound processing which normally is - Resampling and DSP effects. 64-bit precision allows to reach 192.66 dB SNR (for output in 32-bit integer format).

The loss of the valuable bits is causing the quantisation error which constantly accumulates inside the digital filters and intermediary variables. Quantization error affects the final sound quality making it more digital-like. Quantization error will always appear inside the processing chain if there is at least single intermediary truncation to the 32-bit value. As a result with 64-bit processing the SNR ratio improves, that makes sound more soft and audibly pleasant to the listener.

A lot. I have been using 64 bit on RPI since 2020 and avoid each and every distribution above because they were all 32-bit. Before that my digital music was through a 64 bit Tumbleweed Linux OS on a x86_64 processor. dietpi, volumio, moode are all web based shells which isolate the end user from Linux. The real job is done by linux applications like mpd for most music playback, librespot for spotify, shairport-sync for airplay. The raspberry PI broadcom cpu works on both 32bit and 64 bit. So it is best to use the original RPI os and learn how to use the applications by oneself. But not everyone has the time to learn Linux which is bit heavy for non-techies.

64 bit means less rounding numbers so less errors when manipulating the audio signal. Every change to the signal will be closer to the original quality.

All DSP processing is done in floating point format and then in the final output stage the floating point data is converted to the DACs native input format which is always a signed integer of 16 up to 32-bit width.

32-bit precision is useful to save CPU and battery because majority of CPUs have native hardware support 32-bit floating point arithmetic. It will provide enough resolution (SNR) for all modern DACs and amplifiers which is maximum 144.49 dB (we can use only fractional part of 32-bit floating point number for the output to the DAC which is 24-bit). Therefore 32-bit floating processing mode is the best common mode which provides a good trade off between CPU/power consumption and final sound quality.

64-bit precision moves the quality of the sound processing to the next level. Modern 64-bit CPUs offer native hardware support for 64-bit floating point math, so there is no much CPU overhead in comparison with 32-bit CPUs. Much higher precision allows to avoid the loss of the valuable bits with audio data during digital sound processing which normally is - Resampling and DSP effects. 64-bit precision allows to reach 192.66 dB SNR (for output in 32-bit integer format).

The loss of the valuable bits is causing the quantisation error which constantly accumulates inside the digital filters and intermediary variables. Quantization error affects the final sound quality making it more digital-like. Quantization error will always appear inside the processing chain if there is at least single intermediary truncation to the 32-bit value. As a result with 64-bit processing the SNR ratio improves, that makes sound more soft and audibly pleasant to the listener.
It would be very nice if you put up a guide for us so we can use the best out of everything.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back