Mounting options for a DLP projector

mvasu22

Is a ceiling mount a mandatory for any DLP projector. I am planning to get Optoma HD20 projector.

Please advice me on whether I need to ceiling mount it or I can keep this projector from a cofee table hight (say 3 feet from the floor) for a start.

Thanks in advance.
-Vasu

Is a ceiling mount a mandatory for any DLP projector. I am planning to get Optoma HD20 projector.

Please advice me on whether I need to ceiling mount it or I can keep this projector from a cofee table hight (say 3 feet from the floor) for a start.

Thanks in advance.
-Vasu

It depends on your room size and screen size. The HD20 has very little room for placement adjustment, though somewhat better than HD65. For example, for a projection size of 106", the distance between the farthest and closest where you can have the projector (from the screen) is around 3-4 feet. So, if you have enough space in the front (between where you would be sitting and the screen) then you can go for a table mount. When it comes to ceiling mount, you don't really have to worry about this particular aspect.

But make sure you make up your mind on this before you buy the screen. For instance, retro-reflective screens don't go well with ceiling mount.

It depends on your room size and screen size. The HD20 has very little room for placement adjustment, though somewhat better than HD65. For example, for a projection size of 106", the distance between the farthest and closest where you can have the projector (from the screen) is around 3-4 feet. So, if you have enough space in the front (between where you would be sitting and the screen) then you can go for a table mount. When it comes to ceiling mount, you don't really have to worry about this particular aspect.

But make sure you make up your mind on this before you buy the screen. For instance, retro-reflective screens don't go well with ceiling mount.

Thanks for the tip; I have more than 6 feet of frontage between the screen and the seating area. So the table mount is not a problem. Could you let me know what type of screen do I put? I was trying for the retro-reflective screens, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks Pal for the advice.

I too am planning for HD20 , What is the cost I can make up my mind.

Thanks

Cost:
1. If you get it from US from your friends: $1000 (eBay,Amazon et all)
2. From online with Intl Shipping: Rs.73,300 (20North)
3. Grey Market W/O Warrently: Rs. 85,000
4. Chennai Showroom dealers: Rs.1,03,400

Choose which one.

whether I need to ceiling mount it or I can keep this projector from a cofee table hight (say 3 feet from the floor) for a start.

Please note some projectors have high level focus angle (offset). Generally the image starts at little above lens' centre level and the upwards say 5 feeto or whatever height of the image. Please check this for this model. I found for tabel mounted and 10/12 feet distance a small height of 2 feet is required. Of couse you will have buit in stand to change the height.:)

Thanks for the tip; I have more than 6 feet of frontage between the screen and the seating area. So the table mount is not a problem. Could you let me know what type of screen do I put? I was trying for the retro-reflective screens, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks Pal for the advice.

You probably misunderstand or I wasn't clear enough when I mentioned about the throw distance. Let me elaborate. Let's say you have a 16:9 screen size of 106" diagonal, you can place the HD20 anywhere from 11.5 ft to 14 ft (approx) from the screen. This means when you table mount the projector, your seat has to be > 11.5 ft from the screen, i.e. if you want to view from the same line as the projector. For smaller screen sizes, the throw distances come down too. Refer to the Optoma website for more numbers.

The other options could be to mount it on a shelf that is behind you and just above your head level. But this would mean that the projected image's bottom line will also be above your eye level. To this consider the projector's offset, which will lift the projected image by another 1 ft or so and this may not be easy on your neck.

As I already mentioned, retro-reflective screens are not at all good for ceiling mounting. I own one myself that we have temporarily ceiling-mounted to protect it from my 2 year old son. Even though the screen (Greywolf II) has a high gain, the projection is not bright enough from our seating position during day times even when the room is almost-dark. However, we are okay in the evenings. At the same time, when I stand up, the image is much brighter and preferable. I guess that should give you an idea of the combination.

Could you let me know what type of screen do I put? I was trying for the retro-reflective screens, do you have any suggestions?

Last year I purchased a cloth type material to be used as screen since I did nt want to spend huge amount on readmade. I was looking for some vinyl type thing I had tried at home & carried a sample but the shopkeeper showed me some taiwan made plastic sheet type (non tearable- stretchable)
on knowing the purpose and told me that it used by many proefessional studios for some projection purpose. I took a risk and paid for 3.25 mtrs(450/-mtr) with a height of 6 feet (16:9) & got it home.

I found a clearcut difference between wall and my screen. Picture is bright, more colourful & sharp. (As if all things were absorbed on my off white wall) I am not aware of gain/ high contrast or other screen parameters as its not a standard screen material I beleive. But I am happy about the result. The best part is its slightly refective white on one side and bit matte grey on opoosite side. Can use any side. So i see a differece in black levels in grey and brighter image on white.

Unfortunatly I did not ask the name of a cloth type and now that shop is not existent as well due to new building construction. But you can try some DIY on diffenrt type of sample cloth avaibale at home and get a full fledge from market.

Last edited:
You probably misunderstand or I wasn't clear enough when I mentioned about the throw distance. Let me elaborate. Let's say you have a 16:9 screen size of 106" diagonal, you can place the HD20 anywhere from 11.5 ft to 14 ft (approx) from the screen. This means when you table mount the projector, your seat has to be > 11.5 ft from the screen, i.e. if you want to view from the same line as the projector. For smaller screen sizes, the throw distances come down too. Refer to the Optoma website for more numbers.

Yes, I checked again with the calculator present in the projectorcentral website and know got to know on the placement feature. Its like you said and now I am rearranging my room to fit the player.

Thanks for helping me out on this issue.

-Vasu

Last year I purchased a cloth type material to be used as screen since I did nt want to spend huge amount on readmade. I was looking for some vinyl type thing I had tried at home & carried a sample but the shopkeeper showed me some taiwan made plastic sheet type (non tearable- stretchable)
on knowing the purpose and told me that it used by many proefessional studios for some projection purpose. I took a risk and paid for 3.25 mtrs(450/-mtr) with a height of 6 feet (16:9) & got it home.

In case if you remember the name of the material or where I can find, do PM me, it would be very usefull for me. Thanks for the info, its very much helpful in my decisioning process.

-Vasu

In case if you remember the name of the material or where I can find, do PM me, it would be very usefull for me. Thanks for the info, its very much helpful in my decisioning process.

-Vasu

I would love to but its really difficult for me now. Nothing is written on it. I rememeber he cut it for me from big cloth reel. He was wholesaler who dealed with all types of imported cloth used only for industrial/ professional purpose and not home type. May be you try for vinyl or Hessian cloth.

May this DIY thing sounds wierd. Once you get projector, try focusig on diferent materials. I tried many many of them ( even a Dhoti and big bazzar's white cloth carry bags too):lol: You will certainly see the best result on any of them. Go the try getting it in your required size. Of course if you have money, go get some branded screen.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back