Mounting Speakers on POP false ceiling?

sl4y3r

Hi all, is is safe to mount a ~2kg satellite speaker on a false ceiling that is made of POP? I have good quality 2 screw mount and a 4 screw mount but would like to keep the drilling at the minimum since it's a rented house.

I have no option to do in-ceiling installation.

TIA.
(Mods please move my thread to an appropriate section if it currently isn't)

Hi all, is is safe to mount a ~2kg satellite speaker on a false ceiling that is made of POP? I have good quality 2 screw mount and a 4 screw mount but would like to keep the drilling at the minimum since it's a rented house.

TIA.
Shouldn’t be an issue but make sure to attach the screws to the inner frame, on which the pop is screwed on & not only to the pop directly.

Shouldn’t be an issue but make sure to attach the screws to the inner frame, on which the pop is screwed on & not only to the pop directly.
Thanks for your reply. How can I ensure the above? Im trying to install Atmos speakers so they would need to be at specific spots of the ceiling..any suggestions?

Thanks for your reply. How can I ensure the above? Im trying to install Atmos speakers so they would need to be at specific spots of the ceiling..any suggestions?
Can be done, but need to be extra cautious in drilling and fitting to avoid development of cracks.
Use butterfly drywall anchor plug made of nylon.

I mounted OWM3 using 2 screws without much issue in past.

But in cealing speaker would be much better and aesthetic imo.

The electrician will have to poke the area with a screwdriver & find the frame. It runs all over vertical & horizontal so placement shouldn’t be an issue.

Hi Slayer, knowing how some landlords are, please try and inspect the installation/or get an electrician to do it for you.
Firstly, from personal experience, the frames in many homes are widely spaced. And then, most false ceilings feature poor quality material.
You can switch off the fan, get up on a stool and try tapping at different places that are feasible for your placement to find if a frame runs through there.
Otherwise, you could simply get an electrician to check if:
1. If there is a good quality frame,
2. do the frames run along your desired spots, and
3. will the frame (and the ceiling board) withstand the drilling, and hold speaker weight.

If the frame good quality, is in your alignment and the ceiling board all three are good quality, a 2-kg speaker with a 4-screw mount will be doable.

Even if one condition is not satisfied, please abandon the idea. Really sorry to be a wet blanket, but many Bombay landlords are mostly just looking at ways to see how not to return the security deposit :D

Alternatively, buy *cheap* in-ceiling speakers, speak to your landlord and tell them you will be installing them and *leaving* them in place when you vacate, and that they could keep them. They might just agree and be happy too...

Hi Slayer, knowing how some landlords are, please try and inspect the installation/or get an electrician to do it for you.
Firstly, from personal experience, the frames in many homes are widely spaced. And then, most false ceilings feature poor quality material.
You can switch off the fan, get up on a stool and try tapping at different places that are feasible for your placement to find if a frame runs through there.
Otherwise, you could simply get an electrician to check if:
1. If there is a good quality frame,
2. do the frames run along your desired spots, and
3. will the frame (and the ceiling board) withstand the drilling, and hold speaker weight.

If the frame good quality, is in your alignment and the ceiling board all three are good quality, a 2-kg speaker with a 4-screw mount will be doable.

Even if one condition is not satisfied, please abandon the idea. Really sorry to be a wet blanket, but many Bombay landlords are mostly just looking at ways to see how not to return the security deposit :D

Alternatively, buy *cheap* in-ceiling speakers, speak to your landlord and tell them you will be installing them and *leaving* them in place when you vacate, and that they could keep them. They might just agree and be happy too...
Hahah..Very true about Mumbai landlords. Let's hope my plans and dreams align with the POP frames. Thanks a lot for your reply and suggestions.

TIA.

TIA.
Take piece of steel plates and keep these pieces above the pop sheet, then make a hole in the pop sheet and steel plate to tighten the screw along with speaker. Steel plate will hold the speaker. Pop sheet can’t hold the screws

Take piece of steel plates and keep these pieces above the pop sheet, then make a hole in the pop sheet and steel plate to tighten the screw along with speaker. Steel plate will hold the speaker. Pop sheet can’t hold the screws
Thanks for your recommendations but the ceiling is already in place so i cant access above the POP.

Thanks for your recommendations but the ceiling is already in place so i cant access above the POP.
When you will cut circle for speaker mount, you will get gap to place steel plate above the pop sheet. Place a plate in such a manner that you will be able to tighten the screws in steel plate passing through the pop sheet.
Hope you understand

When you will cut circle for speaker mount, you will get gap to place steel plate above the pop sheet. Place a plate in such a manner that you will be able to tighten the screws in steel plate passing through the pop sheet.
Hope you understand
Circle would be cut for an in ceiling setup, mate. I'm looking to do an on ceiling setup, so no circles cutting will happen at all. Thanks for your reply though.

Circle would be cut for an in ceiling setup, mate. I'm looking to do an on ceiling setup, so no circles cutting will happen at all. Thanks for your reply though.
If there is any ceiling light nearby, remove that to get the access from back side.

Else, These works..
Butterfly anchor.jpg
Butterfly1.jpg

Back