Movies that are visually stunning!

Some of the choices mentioned here are atrocious. Digital effects do not make a visually stunning movie.

Which is precisely why The Fall is so stunning. Watch the film and you’ll swear they’ve used CGI throughout. When, in reality, 99% of the film is in camera.

Very influential apparently , but incomprehensible for the most part, Alain Resnais’ Last Year at Marienbad. My go to book for Cinema says —“ the film recreates fluidity of thought and memory through an abstract juxtaposition of characters in a geometrically composed environment.” I confess I didn’t survive the entire 94 minutes.
I am more of the Lawrence of Arabia kind of a guy. Lean’s 70mm super panavision adventure is the reason why I watch movies.

I have read somewhere that CZ lens has been borrowed from NAZA for that movie ..
Yes , partially correct.However they had to figure out how to retrofit those lenses into the movie cameras used on set. You can check this link.

I'm a fan of animated movies. While there's no camera in an animated movie, there's a lot which can be done. Some movies I love because of their visuals are
- Kubo & the two strings
- Shrek
- Song of the Sea
- Secret of Kells
- Wolfwalkers
- Klaus
- Brave
- The Red Turtle (French movie, no dialogues)
- Kahlil Gibran's the Prophet
- The Lion King (2019)
- Spiderman into the spiderverse
- Secret world of Arietty
- Mary and the Witch's Flower

Among TV shows, I'd like to mention The Legend of Korra and recent Amazon series named Undone.

A lot of these have artful animation. As others have said, it might not look stunning to everyone. Red Turtle, for instance, has very simple visuals with few lines, but the way the characters are drawn, the way the colours change to indicate daylight and night time, the shadows, etc. are simply amazing. Kubo is probably the most stunning stop motion animation movie I've seen and I absolutely love the movie, have seen it four times.

Undone uses this technique called Rotoscoping which creates a stunning cross between realism and animation and is really immersive.

As a closing note, I'd like to mention Rituparno Ghosh's Noukadubi. Ghosh is one of the best filmmakers of our times who is, sadly, not very well known outside of West Bengal and unfortunately passed away at a young age. Noukadubi is worth a watch.

I'm a fan of animated movies. While there's no camera in an animated movie, there's a lot which can be done. Some movies I love because of their visuals are
- Kubo & the two strings
- Shrek
- Song of the Sea
- Secret of Kells
- Wolfwalkers
- Klaus
- Brave
- The Red Turtle (French movie, no dialogues)
- Kahlil Gibran's the Prophet
- The Lion King (2019)
- Spiderman into the spiderverse
- Secret world of Arietty
- Mary and the Witch's Flower

Among TV shows, I'd like to mention The Legend of Korra and recent Amazon series named Undone.

A lot of these have artful animation. As others have said, it might not look stunning to everyone. Red Turtle, for instance, has very simple visuals with few lines, but the way the characters are drawn, the way the colours change to indicate daylight and night time, the shadows, etc. are simply amazing. Kubo is probably the most stunning stop motion animation movie I've seen and I absolutely love the movie, have seen it four times.

Undone uses this technique called Rotoscoping which creates a stunning cross between realism and animation and is really immersive.

As a closing note, I'd like to mention Rituparno Ghosh's Noukadubi. Ghosh is one of the best filmmakers of our times who is, sadly, not very well known outside of West Bengal and unfortunately passed away at a young age. Noukadubi is worth a watch.
In fact there is a camera with all the lens information in animated movies too. Except there is no physical but a digital camera which is essential for frame composition
When great directors like Steven Spielberg and James Cameron put their creativity and cinematography expertise in VFX movies, the visual appeal is stunning. Digital films may not appeal to all which is understandable but many times people don't realise that they have been so subtly interspersed with real footage that no can notice it.
Basically knowledge in cinematography is essential even in good digital films like the recent jungle book where everything was shot on green screen (chroma).

As you have mentioned Kubo and the 2 strings was good. I am a fan of both realistic and digital movies. Movies like Benhur , For a Few dollars more, Rang de Basanti, Gladiator look great on the big screen.

The Grand Budapest Hotel, Almost all Tarantino Movies, Pan's Labyrinth, Schindler's List, A ClockWork Orange, 1917, The Shining, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty; this list can be never ending if one wants to make that effort.

Mughal-e-Azam is one movie from yesteryear that was absolutely stunning in spite of constricted technology and movie screens.
This one song from the legendary movie is a culmination of peak of achievement in acting, dancing, lyrics, melody, choreography, cinematography and most importantly the very epitome of the movie.

Another movie in Tamil from yesteryear which is a little close to the achievement of Mughal-e-Azam was 'Thiruvilaiyadal'.

Manirathnam's comic/adventure flick 'Thiruda Thiruda' in 1993, shot in Kerala mostly, was an extraordinary achievement by an Indian movie in terms of Cinematography.

A whole lot of Santosh Sivan movies. I am actually somewhat surprised he has not been mentioned so far.
He might very well be our best.
I can speak only of his Hindi films.
Roja
Rudaali
Dil Se..
Ashoka
Before The Rains
Tahaan
Raavan
Adding a few tamil and malayalam movies to the list where Santosh Sivan's camera did the magic
Thalapathi
Iruvar
Perunthachan
Vaanaprastam
anandabhadram

and we can't forget PC Shreeram
some of the movies I like are
Nayakan
ThirudaThiruda ( mentioned earlier)
Agninatchathiram
Geethanjali
thevar magan
Alaipayuthey

Some of the choices mentioned here are atrocious. Digital effects do not make a visually stunning movie.
For that one needs a super gifted cinematographer who’s perfectly in sync with a visionary director.

The sixties and seventies have gifted the most visually stunning films till date by some of the greatest filmmakers to have ever worked - Bertolucci’s Il Conformista, Kieslowski’s The Double Life of Veronique, Fellini’s 8.5 ( yes it’s in black and white ) , Kubrick’s Barry Lyndon (special Carl Zeiss lenses had to be invented just for that film ) , Kurosawa’s Ran , Coppola’s The Godfather 1 & 2 are just some examples.

That reminds me.
Moon (2009) has stunning visuals.
The budget of the movie was a fraction of srk starrer ra.one (2011)

@gourav
As a fan of animated films, you owe it to yourself to check out the films of Studio Ghibli.
Co-founder and Director Miyazaki is the most celebrated name, with My Neighbour Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Howl’s Moving Castle and Spirited Away being some of his classics.
Also check out co-founder Isao Takahata’s Grave of the Fireflies.
It is the only animation film I know of that can make grown men cry.

@gourav
As a fan of animated films, you owe it to yourself to check out the films of Studio Ghibli.
Co-founder and Director Miyazaki is the most celebrated name, with My Neighbour Totoro, Princess Mononoke, Howl’s Moving Castle and Spirited Away being some of his classics.
Also check out co-founder Isao Takahata’s Grave of the Fireflies.
It is the only animation film I know of that can make grown men cry.
Thanks for the suggestions. All of these have been on my watchlist for some time now. Maybe I'll finally get around to watching it in the next few months.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back