Moving on from pathetic DishTV. Another TSHD vs D2H HD query.

Hi,

I used to be a TS SD user but 2 years ago while upgrading to HD I picked DishTV HD instead of upgrading the existing connection since TS at that time had not upgrade offers and their STB was relatively costlier and that DishTV had more HD content than TS.

I have had no complaints with TS but now I am looking at Videocon as well. One benefit with TS for me is that I already have a SD STB and can use multiroom connection if I go with TS. Videocon would cost double for me but I am really tempted by the fact that they now offer RF remote.

DishTV's remote was pathetic, as was their STB with mind numbing boot times. But their recent act of blocking subscribed channels unless you message them that you want it (mind you, these are channels that are not part of base pack but were subscribed on purpose) finally did it for me. I sent them a tweet on Thursday to fix it and they hvnt done so yet. Took my number and bombarded me with normal BS about how they are gonna fix it ASAP. Never even got a call from their call center.

My question is for those who have went from TS to Videocon. (quite many have done so here)

#1. Why did you make the move? Videocon is just only slightly cheaper and for top HD packs the difference is Rs50 (as per new TS charges) and for multiroom Videocon is Rs25 costlier.

#2. Is there anyone who regrets moving to Videocon from TataSky

#3 How different are the boot times on Videocon and TS?

#4 Any reason that I should not go with TSHD?

#5 How good is TSHD remote (DishHD's remote wouldn't work from even 7 feet away, or when it was pointed at TV, STB was just siting to the left of TV in visual range)

Good Remote, non laggy User Interface and fast boot times are priority , DVR isn't.

Last edited:
Yesterday there was a thread saying that TS has increased their rates again. Do consider the new rates when you compare.

My responses against each point.

#1. Why did you make the move? Videocon is just only slightly cheaper and for top HD packs the difference is Rs50 (as per new TS charges) and for multiroom Videocon is Rs25 costlier.D2H is atleast 15-20% cheaper. Annually it turns out to a bigger number

#2. Is there anyone who regrets moving to Videocon from TataSkyI don't think so. None had shifted from D2H to TS in this forum

#3 How different are the boot times on Videocon and TS? TS wins in this aspect. D2H is not smooth and many times need reboot as well

#4 Any reason that I should not go with TSHD?If you have the money and happy with lower channel count and even lower HD count then why not?

#5 How good is TSHD remote (DishHD's remote wouldn't work from even 7 feet away, or when it was pointed at TV, STB was just siting to the left of TV in visual range)D2H remote is not good at all, TS is far far better. Also TS is seamlessly connected to HD TV with "Anynet" and many smart TV remotes will be able to control the set top box, but it is not so with d2H. D2H remote keys are sticky and it is very common to jump channels

Good Remote, non laggy User Interface and fast boot times are priority , DVR isn't.

Good remote- TS
User Interface- TS
Fast Boot- I think TS
Channel Count- D2H
HD content- D2H (almost double)
PQ- both at par
Cost- D2H

Good remote- TS
User Interface- TS
Fast Boot- I think TS
Channel Count- D2H
PQ- both at par
Cost- D2H

I beg to differ, but how HD content is almost double in D2H ? I think this information is highly misleading.

devilz, if you have invested in Dish then moving on to another provider will definitely incur you setup costs. I have multiroom Dish (2 HD, 1 SD) for years and the fact is that their customer care calls you back if you drop an SMS. The booting time I agree is sometime long but I have noticed that happens mostly when we have not turned off the STB for weeks as the EPG starts to update with recent channels which is one thing dish keeps on adding. Say for example the new channel Romedy Now was given free recently to HD Royale subscribers. I have subscribed to Travel XP separately but never faced the problem you described over the last 1 year. Moreover you can get bonus points in Dish TV against early recharge and / or high amount recharges (1000+) which can be redeemed for Movie on Demand services.

My remote works from a distance of 10+ feet so better get your remote checked / battery as well. Do you have a light source (tube / bulb) behind your seat when you are facing the TV? That can sometime cause problems with certain IR remotes

Last edited:
devilz, if you have invested in Dish then moving on to another provider will definitely incur you setup costs. I have multiroom Dish (2 HD, 1 SD) for years and the fact is that their customer care calls you back if you drop an SMS. The booting time I agree is sometime long but I have noticed that happens mostly when we have not turned off the STB for weeks as the EPG starts to update with recent channels which is one thing dish keeps on adding. Say for example the new channel Romedy Now was given free recently to HD Royale subscribers. I have subscribed to Travel XP separately but never faced the problem you described over the last 1 year. Moreover you can get bonus points in Dish TV against early recharge and / or high amount recharges (1000+) which can be redeemed for Movie on Demand services.

My remote works from a distance of 10+ feet so better get your remote checked / battery as well. Do you have a light source (tube / bulb) behind your seat when you are facing the TV? That can sometime cause problems with certain IR remotes

I have had horrible experience with DishTV and I just can't tolerate them anymore. I have one Dish STB (active)and one TS STB(de-activated) so I HAVE to get atleast one STB at some point as I want to install dth in multiple rooms now. I would much rather go back to TS than stick with Dish. I always switch off the STB and TV before going to bed and it is switched of 2-3 times each day generally. I am from Shimla and weather is crappy here. TS was much more stable than Dish is. Dish did have most HD channels but the fact that StarSports HD is not part of a package is also a problem.

Good remote- TS
User Interface- TS
Fast Boot- I think TS
Channel Count- D2H
PQ- both at par
Cost- D2H

D2H did have twice as many channels as TS a year ago but that has changed now. If you take out Regional HD channels (I am from North) then TS vs D2H is 20:23 . Then there are HBO channerls which I for sure wont get for they add 100 to the pack. But I think so far for my needs and lack of patience , TS works best.

Probably then Dish service is poor in Shimla. Cant help. Dish has not been able to strike a deal with Star TV yet resulting in not having Start Sports HD. May be sometime sooner in future :(

I am from Shimla and weather is crappy here.

Man, tourists flow to Shimla for its weather. :)
By the way, you are biased towards TS. Whatever the forum members say, you will not agree. So why getting more confused, stick to your favorite. Each provider has its own pros and cons and we get used to it after some time.. :)
I have a D2H HD with me and I am pretty happy with it. Never experienced TS or Dish, and cannot comment on them. However, when I had to choose, I opted out Dish because at that time they were advertising about 100+ HD channels, but all fake. "Indians ko ullu mat banaana" :yahoo:

Man, tourists flow to Shimla for its weather. :)
By the way, you are biased towards TS. Whatever the forum members say, you will not agree. So why getting more confused, stick to your favorite. Each provider has its own pros and cons and we get used to it after some time.. :)
I have a D2H HD with me and I am pretty happy with it. Never experienced TS or Dish, and cannot comment on them. However, when I had to choose, I opted out Dish because at that time they were advertising about 100+ HD channels, but all fake. "Indians ko ullu mat banaana" :yahoo:

Hahaha, I love the weather but it's often cloudy so it's crappy in that sense :p

I am not biased towards TS but getting TS saves me some money so I was just curious if there is any other reason for opting Videocon

I guess I will just ask my family if anyone thinks any extra HD channel on Videocon is way too interesting for them to pass on

Moreover you can get bonus points in Dish TV against early recharge and / or high amount recharges (1000+) which can be redeemed for Movie on Demand services.
w24mVL

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back