Multiroom DTH with co-axial cable

pannags

Hello All,

I am moving into a new apartment and want to upgrade to DTH (have been an analogue cable user for years now ;)). I'm an looking for a two-room connection and have shortlisted TataSky and Airtel Digital TV as they offer the best deals on twin connections.

Now, the question is, what kind of cable is used to connect the dish antenna to the STB? My builder has already laid co-axial cable to both rooms where I need the TVs installed and hence I wanted to know if they can be used for DTH?
If not, I will have messy wires running all along the walls, which is disgusting!

Pannags ,

I have AIRTEL multiroom connection connected to the duct cable which was layed by the builder... It works fine... No issues and I checked with other flats where they drilled a big hole in the window and connected to STB 0 improvements.. Just ask the AIRTEL/TSKY people to connect it outside ... If they crib toomuch you know what to do ... :D

Kittu

Pannags, generally the DTH guys would prefer to use their own cable. What you can do though, is ask them to run their cable through your concealed cable pipes in the wall. So you would have their cable, and it would be concealed as well with no extra holes drilled in the window frames etc. This is exactly what I did when I got the free Airtel HD with my plasma purchase 10 days back.

In fact the installer was smart enough to get a 2-LNB connector, after realising I had an SD DTH in the other room, and HD DTH for the hall. He said with Airtel, only the set top box changes and not the dish, and he connected the HD DTH too to the same dish as the SD DTH in the other bedroom. Both connections are working perfectly.

The 2 LNB connector basically enables 2 connections to go from the same dish. The installer said upto 5 connections could be taken from a single dish.

Hope that helps.

---Venkat

make sure the cable is of good quality with no cuts n joints. Cuts need to be terminated properly to avoid leaks. Connectors should also be of good quality n then there will be least issues.

Pannags, generally the DTH guys would prefer to use their own cable. What you can do though, is ask them to run their cable through your concealed cable pipes in the wall. So you would have their cable, and it would be concealed as well with no extra holes drilled in the window frames etc. This is exactly what I did when I got the free Airtel HD with my plasma purchase 10 days back.

In fact the installer was smart enough to get a 2-LNB connector, after realising I had an SD DTH in the other room, and HD DTH for the hall. He said with Airtel, only the set top box changes and not the dish, and he connected the HD DTH too to the same dish as the SD DTH in the other bedroom. Both connections are working perfectly.

The 2 LNB connector basically enables 2 connections to go from the same dish. The installer said upto 5 connections could be taken from a single dish.

Hope that helps.

---Venkat
Venkat, did you have to pay Airtel for multi room connection charges or are paying only for one connection

Devesh:

No I didn't have to pay for a multi-room connection, since I have 1 HD STB and 1 SD STB. They are on different customer IDs. If you have just a HD or SD connection with more than 1 TV using the same connection (meaning more than 1 STB), then the multi-room concept would apply. Not otherwise.

But this thing where Airtel can use the same dish and give me one SD and one HD connection is fantastic. I just love that. I know a friend who has 2 dishes from Tata Sky cos he has 1 SD and 1 HD STB. And when the dish has to be installed at the terrace of your apartment, it slowly starts becoming a space constraint as others do the same thing!

I am for now, very happy with Airtel DTH, both HD and SD, apart from the fact that Nat Geo HD audio is only stereo. However I have checked on other threads and found that even on Tatasky HD, the audio for Nat Geo HD is not in 5.1. Perhaps it's just not being received in 5.1. Discovery HD World seems to have 5.1 audio though.

---Venkat

I have a TataSky HD. The picture quality is good but the sound is low on the 2 HD channel. When I contacted customer service, they did acknowledge of teh low sound volume. Not sure if this is true with other service providers

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back