music directors rated for all round musicality

himadri

hi guys
our bollywood is teeming with music directors (composers old and new). just an attempt to rate them for all round musicality (top three) based purely on personal preferences and tastes.
my favourites
1)r.d burman-great creativity and sensitivity.
2)pt. madanmohan- fabulous melodies.
3)ar rahman-fabulous sound design
well what are yours?

1)A R Rehman - what do i say even my firang friends who dont understand hindi also like him for his exceptional tunes.

2) R D Burman - For giving us all those melodic classes that i still hum once in a while.

I hardly heard bollywood music..However I would like to rate my personal fav music directors in Tamil..

1. Ilayaraja the Great- For his fabulous melodies,Western and folk fusion,Awesome BGM.He is simply a legend.He is with me always and everywhere.I have no words to express abt him.

2. A.R.Rahuman - For his Mixing and the sound quality.He took the Indian Music to a new level.

Last edited:
My picks (not in a specific order):

1] Salil Chaudhuri: For his tasteful blending of Western Classical music with Indian melody.

2] Sajjad Hussein: A class apart from the crowd, very complex tunes and very authentic.

3] Roshan: Very majestic, rich textures and layer and layers of chords.

4] O P Nair: the rhythm master, precise timing and pitches, very articulateness

AR sounded well only in his early work, later on there is noticeable repetitiveness and monotony, further fuelled by too much of synthetic sounds and unnatural bending and twisting of chords and harmonies.

RD, IMHO lacks originality, his father SD was far better in this department. (Please don't flame me, this is just my opinion).

Last edited:
RD was well and truly in the genius league. Sure, there are examples and case studies of being 'inspired' by western/world music; but in every such instance he did add a lot to lift the end result beyond the merely derivative.

I am perfectly willing to go along with SD being rated higher than his son. But remember, there's a whole lot of traditional/folk music that SD too leveraged and brought into the mainstream. It's just that these sources/traditions are not so well known to us.

AR Rehman is definitely way overrated. If he shines, it's only with respect to his contemporaries, and lately even that is debatable.

NOT in any order of preference-
Naushad,
Madan Mohan,
Roshan,
SD Burman,
Salil Chaudhary,
Khayyam,
OP Nayyar.
Acc to me , they are among the all-time-greats bec of consistent high quality over their careers.
As for the present generation,I can't really make up my mind-some tracks are truly magnificent while others are so-so.
I tend to agree with Persi's assessment:
" AR Rehman is definitely way overrated. If he shines, it's only with respect to his contemporaries, and lately even that is debatable."
That statement could apply to others in the present time too.

So this gets us back to Salil Chowdhuri, as both Ilayaraja and A.R.Rahman were influenced by him. It is not a coincidence that all these music directors try to bring western symphonies together with Indian music.

I wanted to add Jaidev too, an unsung hero if there ever was one.

If I hesitate, it's only because he has a very limited body of work as compared to some of the others (despite a reasonably long career span).

But check out 'Seene Mein Jalan, Aankhon Mein Toofan..' and 'Aap Ki Yaad Aati Rahi Raat Bhar'... and you'll know what I mean. Or any track from the movie 'Gharaonda'.

Sometimes I think the 80s did irreparable damage to Hindi film music, something it's never quite recovered from.

So this gets us back to Salil Chowdhuri, as both Ilayaraja and A.R.Rahman were influenced by him. It is not a coincidence that all these music directors try to bring western symphonies together with Indian music.

Guys,

I am not agree this..I dont know How many of you guys listened Ilayaraja's music like How I hardly hear bollywood..The truth is Ilayaraja and others mentioned over here are completely different in their basic...Yes..Ilayaraja's works are based on Carnatic and the others are Hindustani based..both are different format..So, you cannot compare him with Bollywood music directors..This is like comparing "Roger federer" with "Ronaldo" ...Ilayaraja mixed Carnatic with western ,Tamil folk with western and Carnatic with Tamil Folk....He has done various fusions like this and came up with wonderful results..He is very good in western also..

And apart from this he has done wonderful albums like "How to Name it" and "Nothing but wind"..for your kind information...."How to name it" is a lesson for violinists in music colleges in london..

There are so many things are there to talk abt Ilayaraja..He is simply a Legend ,He is simply a Maestro..Unfortunately he is not in the right place with right people..

So, Please do not compare any Music directors and do not make any negative comments about others.....You gusy are crticising ARR ..He is different talented person and nobody can denie his works to the Indian Music...He took the Indian Music into new era..

This thread is not for criticising/comparing others...Please try to rate your Fav peoples only..

Thx,
Pandiyan

Last edited:
Hi,

I like Ilayaraja too, and that is why I had bothered find out more about him a few years back.

Salil Chowdhuri was not a 'Bollywood' music director. He composed music for movies in many languages. He did more work in South Indian movies than in Hindi, including about 30 Malayalam movies. Of course he was from Bengal (I am not). Music directors from all over the country have composed for Hindi movies, and sometimes reused some of their best tunes. If this makes them a 'Bollywood' music director, Ilayaraja is one too :)

In today's world nothing is true unless there is a website quoting that :)
So here are a few excerpts I could dig up right away:
---------
Ilaiyaraaja
Ilaiyaraaja worked as a session guitarist and keyboardist/organist for film music composers and directors such as Salil Chowdhury from West Bengal, who often recorded music in Madras. Later, he was hired as an assistant to the Kannada film composer G K Venkatesh, an event that marked his entry into film music composition and direction. He assisted this music director in 200 film projects.
---------
Salil Chowdhury
The Hindu : Magazine / People : Flawless harmony in his music
Though his contribution to Tamil films appears to be little it is not an exaggeration to say that Salil da was a trendsetter on the scene. Both Ilayaraja and A.R. Rahman followed the path charted by him. Ilayaraja was introduced to the film industry as guitarist and combo organ player in Salil da's recordings and his influence on Ilayaraja is evident. R.K. Sekhar, Rahman's father, worked with Salil da as an assistant. Rahman himself testifies that attending Salil da's recording sessions at a young age left an indelible impression on him.​
---------
A R Rahman
'Filmnews' Anandan, a well-known publicist, remembered in an interview some years ago how Rahman was initiated into the world of films while he was still a toddler and was called Dilip Kumar. The family embraced Islam after Sekhar's death and his widow's marriage to a Muslim businessman.
Anandan remembered Rahman going to the film studios with his father Sekhar who was an assistant music director in Malayalam films.
---------
I hope this opens up a few new windows...
The world of music is more connected and interlinked than it appears at the surface.

Hi smedhavi,

I accept Salil was not from Bollywood..I know this and I know where he was from...

He has done few Tamil Films..If I am not wrong "Thoorathu Idi Muzhakkam" and "Azhiyadha Kolangal" were some of his Tamil films..I think in Malayalam the Famous "Chemmeen"..He was Great ..No doubt about it..Even I am a fan of his song "Poo vannam" from the movie "Azhiyadha Kolangal"..

Here I mentioned abt Bollywood...Not from any other meanings..I just compared bollywood with Ilayaraja for its "Hindustani based" ..As I said we cannot say IR as a Bollywood Music director eventhough he has done few hit films in Hindi..Because he is "Carnatic based"..As you know till 1990 Most of the Bollywood music were based on Hindustani...Ok..this is not the topic of this thread..

The Point I wanted to mention over here is , This thread is not basically for Comparing/criticising other Music directors..Here i have seen "overrated" comments abt ARR..This is to rate your fav Music directors..not for anything..Thats what I tried to bring over here..

Cheers,
Pandiyan

Last edited:
I was hoping that it would be clear by now that I am not 'comparing'. I have provided facts about the exact "relationship" between their music. Ilayaraja was Salil's arranger.

I wonder why it sounds like criticism to you. The fact is that when people are praising Salil Da's music and arrangements, it is actually Ilayaraja playing those instruments or directing the orchestra. Yes, even those tunes that sound like hindustani, western and Bangala/Assamese folk.

I think I have put all the facts on the table so it is up to people to absorb or deny information.

I am planning to list down my favorites tomorrow.

Persi wrote foll abt Jaidev-
"But check out 'Seene Mein Jalan, Aankhon Mein Toofan..' and 'Aap Ki Yaad Aati Rahi Raat Bhar'... and you'll know what I mean. Or any track from the movie 'Gharaonda'"
Aah Yes !
You mentioned a couple of tracks & my mental jukebox started playing!
Truly a golden age of Hindi Film music!
Maybe we should start a thread"My ten all time favourite Hindi film music/Carnatic film music tracks.
I'm sure it'll refresh some very pleasant memories.
You know, Kams,I'm loath to categorise legendary music directors as Bollywood/Tollywood/Chollywood.
Greats are Greats.
When I first heard the recent track"cheeni kum"composed by Ilayaraja, the melody haunted me for days.
In the end thats all that matters, I think-to enjoy the music irrespective of who composed it.

I wanted to add Jaidev too, an unsung hero if there ever was one.

If I hesitate, it's only because he has a very limited body of work as compared to some of the others (despite a reasonably long career span).

But check out 'Seene Mein Jalan, Aankhon Mein Toofan..' and 'Aap Ki Yaad Aati Rahi Raat Bhar'... and you'll know what I mean. Or any track from the movie 'Gharaonda'.

Sometimes I think the 80s did irreparable damage to Hindi film music, something it's never quite recovered from.

There is one more jewel from Jaidev - 'Dev Anand's 'Hum Dono हम द?न?? ' how one can forget the melodies from this movie...

'Hum bekhudi main.. हम ब??ुद? म? तुम ?? पु?ार? ?ल? ?य?', ' main Jindgi ka saath.. म? ?ि?द?? ?ा साथ निपाता ?ला ?या', "Abhi na Jao chhod ke ke dil abhi bhara nahin.. ?प? ना ?ा? ??ड ?र ?ि दिल ?प? परा? नह?' , and the master piece 'Alla Tero Naam Eshwar Tero Naam. ?ल्ला त?र? नाम ?श्वर त?र? नाम.'

Jaidev was assistant to SD for many years. Always remained in SD's shadow. It is rumored that ther SD cut Jaidev's wings so that he won't become a potential competition to his son RD.

Jaidev did try a come back through 'Gaman' and 'Gharonda' but again here too bad luck for Jaidev .. many leading artists refused to work with him .. he then had to bring in Runa Laila f(rom Bangaladesh) and Suresh Wadkar to keep going.

SUhas

Hi smedhavi,

I understand your points.I agree Ilaya Raja was Salil's arranger..everything is right...I dint take your point as a criticism..It is your right to rate Salil as a great M.D..Everybody has the right to list their fav are always best and they can give so many points infavor of them..You can include me also in that list:)

I was talking about some of our guys criticised ARR as "Over rated" :eek:.I still beelieve the intention of this thread is not to criticise others fav..the intention was to list down the Fav M.D of the members...If somebody says ARR is great to them the others should not comment on that (or) they should not point out other M.D are not great...It happens in ARR case..Somebody said ARR is "Overrated" :eek:.Not only ARR...dont under rate any M.D...Music is not a common skill..

This thread is not to decide "who is the Best in India?" ..This is to list down members fav..I think this was the motive of himadri..If somebody wants to start a thread to decide who is the best?..Let them start and I still request you guys List your fav only and talk about their Strengths..Do not make any negative comments abt others in this thread..This may hurt others..

Hope everybody understand my concerns...Thx..

Enjoy Music....

Cheers,
Pandiyan

Hi Pandiyan,

It is Okay if somebody criticized a music director as every body has his/her own opinions and to express such an opinion is the very purpose of this forum's existence.

Nobody here claimed to be ultimate authority on the subject matter and all opnioons expressed are based on personal likings and experiences. If you don't like a comment on a particular musician, just ignore it, that's all.

Except you nobody has taken it that seriously. So please don't drag it unnecessarily. Life is too short for such sundry debates.

SUhas

Except you nobody has taken it that seriously. So please don't drag it unnecessarily. Life is too short for such sundry debates.

SUhas

Hi SUhas,

I dint drag it..I also xpressed my opinions over here..I have been hearing such a comments from many ppl at many places since I came into sw industry...I dont know why?..

I will stop posting over here,If you think mine is sundry debate..

Thanks...

Here is a list from my side:

Anil Biswas
Started with great music in the 1930s and continued till 1965. His movies always had great non-repetitive music, with a very good choice of lyrics.
KISMAT(1943): Almost all songs are great
ANOKHA PYAR (1948): Almost all songs are benchmarks by themselves. Compare the Lata and Meena Kapoor versions of "MERE LIYE WOH", for a class in playback singing.
Mukesh's debut song "DIL JALTA HAI" from PEHLI NAZAR 1945 set in Darbari Kanhara.
Aarzoo (1950) "Aye dil mujhe aisi jagah le chal' by Talat again an appropriate use of Darbari Kanhara
TARAANA: SEENE MEIN SULAGTE HAIN ARMAN
Chhoti Chhoti Baatein (1965): His last film. Very unconventional tunes and great lyrics once again. try "Kuchh Aur Zamaana Kahata Hai"

Listen to the series of interviews on Vividh Barthi where Tushar Bhatia (Music Director of Andaz Apna Apna) is interviewing Anil Da and his wife Meena kapoor. You cannot forget these discussions for rest of your life.

Naushad
Worked on relatively fewer films, given that his career over spanned more than 50 years, but produced more classics and all time greats than anyone else. Brought Hindustani classical music to the masses. He was the probably the only music director from the Hindi heartland, so no one could ever match his PAKAD on the North Indian folk music. There is a story on how SD Burman found out that his assistants listened to Naushad's music from RATAN, in his studio, when he was not there. SD learned a few tips on how to make involving music.
Try out the following movies to start with:
SHAHJEHAN (1946): Jab Dil Hi toot Gaya by K L Sehgal
ANMOL GHADI (1946): Each song is a hit/classic
RATTAN (1944): Each song is a hit/classic
DARD(1947)/DILLAGI(1949) : Very interesting music with unconventional singers like Uma Devi and Surriya
DULARI (1949): Suhani Raat Dhal Chuki
Mughal-e-Azam (1960): Each song is a hit/classic
Baiju Bawra (1952): Each song is a hit/classic. Great Hindustani classical compositions
Ganga Jamuna (1961): The perfect album for folk music. Once again each song is a hit/classic

SD Burman/ RD Burman
I list them together as there is no dividing line indicating where one left and where the other took over.
Enough has been said about them. They lived music, we are still trying to interpret and reinterpret their work.

Vanraj Bhatia
A Gold Medalist from the Royal Academy of Music, London followed by an association with the Paris Conservatory. Also had a good knowledge of Hindustani classical music. He is a music director with out a signature style. He was a true movie soundtrack composer. Each of movies has music it demands. Unparalleled for ever...
He was the regular composer for Shyam Benegal.

Composed for Ankur, Manthan, Bhumika, Junoon, 36 Chowringhee Lane, Mandi, Sardari Begum. Each one of them is great. His compositions for the TV serial Tamas were very powerful and moving. Check out the female version of "Purja Purja Katt Mare". His non- film albums like "The Elements - EARTH" are also unique.

Jaidev
A lot has already been said about him.

Hemant Kumar

Produced some of the best compositions for Lata; she accepts that. He used her range without making her screech.
  • DHEERE DHEERE MACHAL - ANUPAMA
  • KUCHH DIL NE KAHA - ANUPAMA
  • HAMNE DEKHI HAI - KHAMOSHI
  • SO GAYA SARA ZAMANA - MISS MARY
  • VANDE MATARAM - ANAND MATH
  • CHHUP GAYA KOI RE - CHAMPAKALI
  • KAHIN DEEP JALE KAHIN - BEES SAAL BAAD

Some of his unique compositions for himself:
  • TUM PUKAR LO TUMHARA - KHAMOSHI
  • YA DIL KI SUNO DUNIYAWALO - ANUPAMA
  • YEH NAIN DARE DARE - KOHRAA
  • NA YEH CHAND - SHART
  • BAHAYE CHAND NE AANSOO - LAGAN
  • BAS EK CHUPSI LAGI - SANNATA
  • BEQARAAR KARKE HAMEN - BEES SAAL BAAD
  • JAI JAGDISH HARE (GEETA DUTT,HEMANT KUMAR) ANAND MATH
More to come...

Most of the above songs, except the compositions by Vanraj Bhatia, are available on HamaraCD.com

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back